Liquid display

  • caribbeanlistener
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2003
      Hey folks,

      Here's a concern that someone may be able to address. I keep my
      DX440 next to a sliding picture window facing south in my living
      room at my QTH in Puerto Rico. Because of the season, the sun shines
      in from the south. One day I forgot to close the blinds and I found
      my radio's crystal display gone haywire. In other words, all of the
      digits, messages, and letters on the display appeared to be on. The
      radio was turned off. I immediately took it away from the light and
      disconnected it. The display seems OKAY now, but I was wondering if
      it may have been subjected to long term damage. Any thoughts?

      Thanks,

      Marty in San Juan
    • James D Flaherty
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2003
        Hello Marty,

        Sounds like the display got overheated. I don't think it would have
        caused any long term damage but let's just say that it is not a good
        thing to allow the radio to sit in direct sunlight very long.

        Ta-Ta Fer now es 73,
        Jim
        irishmanwj2f@...

        On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 15:40:12 -0000 "caribbeanlistener"
        <caribbeanlistener@...> writes:

        Hey folks,

        Here's a concern that someone may be able to address. I keep my
        DX440 next to a sliding picture window facing south in my living
        room at my QTH in Puerto Rico. Because of the season, the sun shines
        in from the south. One day I forgot to close the blinds and I found
        my radio's crystal display gone haywire. In other words, all of the
        digits, messages, and letters on the display appeared to be on. The
        radio was turned off. I immediately took it away from the light and
        disconnected it. The display seems OKAY now, but I was wondering if
        it may have been subjected to long term damage. Any thoughts?

        Thanks,

        Marty in San Juan

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Al Bolton
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2003
          Don't worry about it, this is normal behaviour when exposed to too much sun
          and the possibility of lasting damage is slight.

          If it's any consolation, I left my old Yaesu FT-208 2m handheld in direct
          sunlight for hours in the Summer (we actually had one in the UK for a change
          this year) and the display went completely black. I just left the radio in a
          cool place and it fully recovered in about 10 minutes and still works
          faultlessly.

          Regards,

          Al Bolton, G4VSQ
          http://www.reading-city.net/Vintage_Radios