RE: [Sangean803] Raido DXers: Beware of "Electronic know-it-alls" !

  • Denton, Adam (Exchange)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2003
      It is so easy to just disconnect the antenna and
      hear how much quieter the noise gets. I would
      like to see him explain THAT.

      On second thought, I actually wouldn't... <g>

      Dopes exist in all professions. EE is no exception!

      >I once knew this "know-it-all" electrical engineer who told me that
      >most of the noise you hear on the radio bands comes from within the
      >radio itself. I told him he was full of crap but he insisted he was
      >right. I submit the following from an excellent radio website:

    • broadw
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2003
        Hello Dr. S! That was a good quote from that radio website about
        interference. Please add the link to our Links section here on the
        group when you can. There are, of course, some low quality radios
        which do have alot of internal noise, but fortunately that is not a
        problem with our 803s and 440s! In my experience, I have found some
        bizzare sources for interference. Everything from a coupler in my
        furnace, to a digital answering machine that produced tons of RF when
        there was a message, but no RF when it was on and had no messages!

        Finally, I must comment on your remarks directed at a particular
        person. I would really like to avoid all negative comments directed
        at individuals, especially if there is even a remote possibility that
        they, or someone who knows them, is on this group. We are a large
        group now, with more than 230 members, and we can not risk getting
        any flame wars started.

        For future reference, if a flame war breaks out betweeen members here
        and their remarks are posted on this public message board, both
        members will be permanently removed. This is a hard line position,
        but I have been on too many groups where personal attacks smother all
        other conversation.

        Matt