What radio would be an improvement to the DX-440? Thank you

  • Donkeyhote
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2003
      Thanks for the informative post. You're right, I listen to progams,
      and I'm not a DXer. Last night I listened to Radio Havana loud and
      clear. What would be an improvement to my DX-440? Would the
      Sangean ATS-818/Realistic DX-390 be an improvement? Thanks for all
      your help. Have a good day.

      Regards
    • broadw
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2003
        The 818/390 is very similar to the 803. Reviews when they were both
        in production placed them pretty evenly, if anything the edge went to
        the 803. The 818/390 is a fine radio though, but I don't think it
        would be considered an upgrade to the 803, except in terms of
        memories, I think. The 818/390 did have more memories than the 803.

        In terms of a similar sized radio, the only thing I can think of that
        might be considered an upgrade to the 803 is a Sony 2010, which is
        out of production now, and the prices have skyrocketed. Also along
        those lines, the Grundig Satellit 700 is a very good large portable
        with excellent audio, but again, it is out of production, and prices
        are high. Expect to pay $250 and higher for either of these radios
        now on the used market. They both have sync detectors though and
        probably better for DX than the 803.

        The only current radio in production now which I would consider the
        next step up from the 803 is the Grundig Satellit 800, but this is
        definately a good sized table-top radio, although it can be carried
        and can be run on 8 D cells. It has alot of memories, nice sound,
        and good sensitivity. You can get refubished ones for around $400
        now, I believe. If you get a used one, make sure it is a later
        production model, as the first in this line suffered from quality
        control problems.

        If you aren't interested in spending hundreds of dollars for a new
        radio, I'd seriously consider tweaking your 803. Here are two easy
        things you can do:

        1. Get a better antenna for it. This can make a huge difference in
        performance.

        2. Since you are mostly a program listener, if possible, I'd look
        for ways to hook your 803 up to your stereo system, as I sometimes do
        to mine. You can get a simple cord for less than $5 from Radio Shack
        that will run from the headphone jack on your 803 directly into RCA
        plugs on the back of your stereo system, and get even better sound
        than you are getting now.

        Good luck and let us know what you decide!

        Matt