Re: [Sangean803] Dying 440... sad

  • Tim Hills
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 23, 2013
      Scott,

      I see someone else mentioned the cold solder joint problem but there
      could be a broken wire in one of the connectors also.

      I have owned or worked on many DX-160s and they are getting a bit long
      in the tooth and they were mid-range for their era to begin with. There
      are some mods for improving DX-160 MW reception and it probably needs an
      alignment by now, I haven't seen one in years that didn't and replacing
      the electrolytics wouldn't hurt either. Bandswitch corrosion is also a
      likely problem with MW.

      Just my $0.02

      Tim Hills
      Sioux Falls, SD

      On 1/22/2013 23:52, scott_hutter wrote:

      > Well, my 440 is definitely dying. It would not power on, and so I took
      > it apart to check connections. At some point during the disassembly, I
      > tried again to power it on, and it came on. Then I put it back
      > together and wouldnt come back on. After a few attempts, I would
      > sometimes get a bizarre display on the LCD, and the tuning knob would
      > either not work at all, or tune in the wrong direction. Seems like an
      > IC somewhere has just lost its mind. Its back together, I get a clock
      > and thats about it.
      >
      > So I ordered another one off Ebay, should be here in a few days. If it
      > is a good radio, Ill donate this broken one to someone here for parts.
      > (I see people needing knobs etc all the time). Sad, but these radios
      > were built 20+ years ago and wont last forever I guess. Just wish I
      > knew more about electronics to fix it.
      >
      > Aside, I also recently obtained a DX-160. Its much more old-school
      > than the 440, and Im not liking it as much. Wont pick up anything on
      > MW (AM broadcast) which is odd. But it does pull in some SSB on 80 meters.

    • wthrush11
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 24, 2013
        The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
        only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
        anything else. Bill

        --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:

        > I have never used batteries - always a DC adapter. But thanks for the
        quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.

        > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" wrote:
        > >
        > > Scott, sounds to me like a connection problem with the memory
        batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
        soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
        circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
        as yours..good luck, Alan

        I took

        If it

      • ZUMBRAO ZUMBROVKY
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 25, 2013
          DEAR  FRIENDS :

            ALL PLL RADIOS  inspirated  or gerenerated from  ICF - 2001 (1980) have problems  that
          a good reset  use works  fine.

            Examples  : - removing batteries  or replaceng for brand new ;
                               - keep some  time  without  use
                               - puting  a multimeter in batteries points to waste and discharge the circuit
                               - etc.

           THE  SANGEAN  803-A IS to myself the more resistent radio  .

           DURING the  summer in Brazil I forget it to  outdoor suffering  sun hard sun ray. THE
           display became black.  BUT returned after some time   in  a shadow place.

           Thank you  for keep this list active .

          The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
          only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
          anything else. Bill

          --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:

          > I have never used batteries - always a DC adapter. But thanks for the
          quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.

          > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" wrote:
          > >
          > > Scott, sounds to me like a connection problem with the memory
          batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
          soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
          circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
          as yours..good luck, Alan

          I took

          If it

        • scott_hutter
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 26, 2013
            Ive taken the thing apart, and I dont see any AA batteries anywhere. Ive never put any in, either, so Im not sure this is correct. But thank you. Maybe there are different models of this radio.

            --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "wthrush11" wrote:

            > The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
            > only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
            > anything else. Bill
            >
            > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:
            > >
            > > I have never used batteries - always a DC adapter. But thanks for the
            > quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.
            > >
            > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Scott, sounds to me like a connection problem with the memory
            > batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
            > soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
            > circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
            > as yours..good luck, Alan

            > I took
            > disassembly, I
            > would
            > like an
            > clock

            > If it
            > parts.
            > radios
            > wish I

            > old-school
            > anything on
            > 80 meters.

          • Jerry
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 26, 2013
              Nope they are there. On left hand side of battery compartment just under the
              D Cells.. if u never put any in or never replaced them They are the issue
              put in a new set takes 2. jerry

              --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Sangean803%40yahoogroups.com> ,
              "wthrush11" wrote:

              > The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
              > only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
              > anything else. Bill
              >
              > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Sangean803%40yahoogroups.com> ,
              "scott_hutter" wrote:

              > > I have never used batteries - always a DC adapter. But thanks for the
              > quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.
              > >
              > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Sangean803%40yahoogroups.com>
              , "Alan" wrote:

              > > > Scott, sounds to me like a connection problem with the memory
              > batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
              > soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
              > circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
              > as yours..good luck, Alan

              > I took
              > disassembly, I
              > would
              > like an
              > clock

              > If it
              > parts.
              > radios
              > wish I

              > old-school
              > anything on
              > 80 meters.

            • wthrush11
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 26, 2013
                You won't see them by taking it apart-- they are in the Battery box under the D batteries.

              • john07242000
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                  Refer to page 7 of the user manual...
                  John
                  --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:

                  > Ive taken the thing apart, and I dont see any AA batteries anywhere. Ive never put any in, either, so Im not sure this is correct. But thank you. Maybe there are different models of this radio.
                  >
                  > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "wthrush11" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
                  > > only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
                  > > anything else. Bill
                  > >
                  > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I have never used batteries - always a DC adapter. But thanks for the
                  > > quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.

                  > > batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
                  > > soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
                  > > circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
                  > > as yours..good luck, Alan

                  > > I took
                  > > disassembly, I
                  > > would
                  > > like an
                  > > clock

                  > > If it
                  > > parts.
                  > > radios
                  > > wish I

                  > > old-school
                  > > anything on
                  > > 80 meters.

                • ljmayes1
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                    Or see this:

                    http://img0030.popscreencdn.com/119780473_radio-shack-realistic-dx-440-dx440-sangean-803a-ebay.jpg

                    (a picture of the back of the receiver).

                    Lawrence

                    --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, john07242000 wrote:

                    > Refer to page 7 of the user manual...
                    > John
                    > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Ive taken the thing apart, and I dont see any AA batteries anywhere. Ive never put any in, either, so Im not sure this is correct. But thank you. Maybe there are different models of this radio.
                    > >
                    > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "wthrush11" wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
                    > > > only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
                    > > > anything else. Bill

                    > > > quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.

                    > > > batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
                    > > > soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
                    > > > circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
                    > > > as yours..good luck, Alan

                    > > > I took
                    > > > disassembly, I
                    > > > would
                    > > > like an
                    > > > clock

                    > > > If it
                    > > > parts.
                    > > > radios
                    > > > wish I

                    > > > old-school
                    > > > anything on
                    > > > 80 meters.

                  • suzanne geraci
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                      Hey, where can I find a user manual for this radio?
                      Thanks,
                      Suzanne
                      On Jan 27, 2013, at 3:49 AM, john07242000 wrote:

                      > Refer to page 7 of the user manual...
                      > John
                      > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Ive taken the thing apart, and I dont see any AA batteries anywhere. Ive never put any in, either, so Im not sure this is correct. But thank you. Maybe there are different models of this radio.
                      > >
                      > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "wthrush11" wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
                      > > > only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
                      > > > anything else. Bill

                      > > > quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.

                      > > > batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
                      > > > soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
                      > > > circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
                      > > > as yours..good luck, Alan

                      > > > I took
                      > > > disassembly, I
                      > > > would
                      > > > like an
                      > > > clock

                      > > > If it
                      > > > parts.
                      > > > radios
                      > > > wish I

                      > > > old-school
                      > > > anything on
                      > > > 80 meters.

                    • WS8E
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                        This makes me think that it IS the clock batteries. There are 2 AA
                        batteries required in addition to the D cells or the AC adapter. They are
                        in a compartment under where the D cells go. If they are dead or dying,
                        all sorts of strange behaviors occur.

                        On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM, scott_hutter <scott.hutter@...>wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > I dont use batteries at all - just the AC/DC adapter. But thanks for the
                        > info.
                        >

                        > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, WS8E wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Have you forgotten about the clock batteries? Could it be they are just
                        > > near end of life?
                        > >
                        > > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM, scott_hutter wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > **
                        >

                        > > > Well, my 440 is definitely dying. It would not power on, and so I took
                        > it
                        > > > apart to check connections. At some point during the disassembly, I
                        > tried
                        > > > again to power it on, and it came on. Then I put it back together and
                        > > > wouldnt come back on. After a few attempts, I would sometimes get a
                        > bizarre
                        > > > display on the LCD, and the tuning knob would either not work at all,
                        > or
                        > > > tune in the wrong direction. Seems like an IC somewhere has just lost
                        > its
                        > > > mind. Its back together, I get a clock and thats about it.
                        > > >
                        > > > So I ordered another one off Ebay, should be here in a few days. If it
                        > is
                        > > > a good radio, Ill donate this broken one to someone here for parts. (I
                        > see
                        > > > people needing knobs etc all the time). Sad, but these radios were
                        > built
                        > > > 20+ years ago and wont last forever I guess. Just wish I knew more
                        > about
                        > > > electronics to fix it.
                        > > >
                        > > > Aside, I also recently obtained a DX-160. Its much more old-school than
                        > > > the 440, and Im not liking it as much. Wont pick up anything on MW (AM
                        > > > broadcast) which is odd. But it does pull in some SSB on 80 meters.

                      • Robert G
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                          See Files section for this group. Look for pdf users' manual for DX 440. There might also be one for the 803A.

                          Best,

                          RG

                          --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, suzanne geraci wrote:

                          > Hey, where can I find a user manual for this radio?
                          > Thanks,
                          > Suzanne
                          > On Jan 27, 2013, at 3:49 AM, john07242000 wrote:
                          >

                          > > Refer to page 7 of the user manual...
                          > > John
                          > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Ive taken the thing apart, and I dont see any AA batteries anywhere. Ive never put any in, either, so Im not sure this is correct. But thank you. Maybe there are different models of this radio.

                        • Vince
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                            It's in the group's files section. I recently found it handy.

                            Vince

                            ________________________________
                            Hey, where can I find a user manual for this radio?
                            Thanks,
                            Suzanne
                            On Jan 27, 2013, at 3:49 AM, john07242000 wrote:

                            > Refer to page 7 of the user manual...
                            > John
                            > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Ive taken the thing apart, and I dont see any AA batteries anywhere. Ive never put any in, either, so Im not sure this is correct. But thank you. Maybe there are different models of this radio.
                            > >
                            > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "wthrush11" wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
                            > > > only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
                            > > > anything else. Bill

                            > > > quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.

                            > > > batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
                            > > > soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
                            > > > circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
                            > > > as yours..good luck, Alan

                            > > > I took
                            > > > disassembly, I
                            > > > would
                            > > > like an
                            > > > clock

                            > > > If it
                            > > > parts.
                            > > > radios
                            > > > wish I

                            > > > old-school
                            > > > anything on
                            > > > 80 meters.

                          • wharpt1
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                              Look in the files section of the group.

                              Wharpt

                              (mailto:Sangean803@yahoogroups.com) , "Alan" wrote:

                              > > > batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
                              > > > soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against
                              the
                              > > > circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same
                              properties
                              > > > as yours..good luck, Alan

                              > > > I took
                              > > > disassembly, I