Re: [Sangean803] Dying 440... sad

  • Tim Hills
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 23, 2013
      Scott,

      I see someone else mentioned the cold solder joint problem but there
      could be a broken wire in one of the connectors also.

      I have owned or worked on many DX-160s and they are getting a bit long
      in the tooth and they were mid-range for their era to begin with. There
      are some mods for improving DX-160 MW reception and it probably needs an
      alignment by now, I haven't seen one in years that didn't and replacing
      the electrolytics wouldn't hurt either. Bandswitch corrosion is also a
      likely problem with MW.

      Just my $0.02

      Tim Hills
      Sioux Falls, SD

      On 1/22/2013 23:52, scott_hutter wrote:

      > Well, my 440 is definitely dying. It would not power on, and so I took
      > it apart to check connections. At some point during the disassembly, I
      > tried again to power it on, and it came on. Then I put it back
      > together and wouldnt come back on. After a few attempts, I would
      > sometimes get a bizarre display on the LCD, and the tuning knob would
      > either not work at all, or tune in the wrong direction. Seems like an
      > IC somewhere has just lost its mind. Its back together, I get a clock
      > and thats about it.
      >
      > So I ordered another one off Ebay, should be here in a few days. If it
      > is a good radio, Ill donate this broken one to someone here for parts.
      > (I see people needing knobs etc all the time). Sad, but these radios
      > were built 20+ years ago and wont last forever I guess. Just wish I
      > knew more about electronics to fix it.
      >
      > Aside, I also recently obtained a DX-160. Its much more old-school
      > than the 440, and Im not liking it as much. Wont pick up anything on
      > MW (AM broadcast) which is odd. But it does pull in some SSB on 80 meters.

    • wthrush11
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 24, 2013
        The problem is the connections between the battery box and the rest of
        the radio, I'm almost positive. These are the exact symtoms I had with
        mine. I fixed it by solderint jumpers between the battery box contacts
        and the circuit board -- now everything works fine. There are 3
        connections because there are two batteries (one 2-cell AA battery and
        one 6-cell D battery). If all three connections aren't good, you get
        serious wierdness!
        Bill wthrush@...
        --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, cybercat wrote:

        > I recall from my days at the Shack service centre that there was a
        model
        > of SW receiver prior to the DX440 that was prone to electrolytic
        > capacitor problems.
        > They would leak/dry out to the point of being just a can and two
        leads.
        > We called them "skeleton caps". This may have been the DX160.
        >
        > - Bill H.
        >
        > scott_hutter wrote:
        >

        > > Well, my 440 is definitely dying. It would not power on, and so I
        took
        > > it apart to check connections. At some point during the disassembly,
        > > tried again to power it on, and it came on. Then I put it back
        > > together and wouldnt come back on. After a few attempts, I would
        > > sometimes get a bizarre display on the LCD, and the tuning knob
        would
        > > either not work at all, or tune in the wrong direction. Seems like
        an
        > > IC somewhere has just lost its mind. Its back together, I get a
        clock
        > > and thats about it.
        > >
        > > So I ordered another one off Ebay, should be here in a few days. If
        it
        > > is a good radio, Ill donate this broken one to someone here for
        parts.
        > > (I see people needing knobs etc all the time). Sad, but these radios
        > > were built 20+ years ago and wont last forever I guess. Just wish I
        > > knew more about electronics to fix it.
        > >
        > > Aside, I also recently obtained a DX-160. Its much more old-school
        > > than the 440, and Im not liking it as much. Wont pick up anything on
        > > MW (AM broadcast) which is odd. But it does pull in some SSB on 80
        meters.

      • wthrush11
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 24, 2013
          The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
          only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
          anything else. Bill

          --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:

          > I have never used batteries - always a DC adapter. But thanks for the
          quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.

          > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" wrote:
          > >
          > > Scott, sounds to me like a connection problem with the memory
          batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
          soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
          circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
          as yours..good luck, Alan

          I took

          If it

        • ZUMBRAO ZUMBROVKY
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 25, 2013
            DEAR  FRIENDS :

              ALL PLL RADIOS  inspirated  or gerenerated from  ICF - 2001 (1980) have problems  that
            a good reset  use works  fine.

              Examples  : - removing batteries  or replaceng for brand new ;
                                 - keep some  time  without  use
                                 - puting  a multimeter in batteries points to waste and discharge the circuit
                                 - etc.

             THE  SANGEAN  803-A IS to myself the more resistent radio  .

             DURING the  summer in Brazil I forget it to  outdoor suffering  sun hard sun ray. THE
             display became black.  BUT returned after some time   in  a shadow place.

             Thank you  for keep this list active .

            The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
            only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
            anything else. Bill

            --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:

            > I have never used batteries - always a DC adapter. But thanks for the
            quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.

            > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" wrote:
            > >
            > > Scott, sounds to me like a connection problem with the memory
            batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
            soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
            circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
            as yours..good luck, Alan

            I took

            If it

          • scott_hutter
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 26, 2013
              Ive taken the thing apart, and I dont see any AA batteries anywhere. Ive never put any in, either, so Im not sure this is correct. But thank you. Maybe there are different models of this radio.

              --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "wthrush11" wrote:

              > The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
              > only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
              > anything else. Bill
              >
              > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:
              > >
              > > I have never used batteries - always a DC adapter. But thanks for the
              > quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.
              > >
              > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Scott, sounds to me like a connection problem with the memory
              > batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
              > soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
              > circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
              > as yours..good luck, Alan

              > I took
              > disassembly, I
              > would
              > like an
              > clock

              > If it
              > parts.
              > radios
              > wish I

              > old-school
              > anything on
              > 80 meters.

            • Jerry
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 26, 2013
                Nope they are there. On left hand side of battery compartment just under the
                D Cells.. if u never put any in or never replaced them They are the issue
                put in a new set takes 2. jerry

                --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Sangean803%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                "wthrush11" wrote:

                > The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
                > only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
                > anything else. Bill
                >
                > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Sangean803%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                "scott_hutter" wrote:

                > > I have never used batteries - always a DC adapter. But thanks for the
                > quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.
                > >
                > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Sangean803%40yahoogroups.com>
                , "Alan" wrote:

                > > > Scott, sounds to me like a connection problem with the memory
                > batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
                > soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
                > circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
                > as yours..good luck, Alan

                > I took
                > disassembly, I
                > would
                > like an
                > clock

                > If it
                > parts.
                > radios
                > wish I

                > old-school
                > anything on
                > 80 meters.

              • wthrush11
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 26, 2013
                  You won't see them by taking it apart-- they are in the Battery box under the D batteries.

                • john07242000
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                    Refer to page 7 of the user manual...
                    John
                    --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:

                    > Ive taken the thing apart, and I dont see any AA batteries anywhere. Ive never put any in, either, so Im not sure this is correct. But thank you. Maybe there are different models of this radio.
                    >
                    > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "wthrush11" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
                    > > only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
                    > > anything else. Bill
                    > >
                    > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I have never used batteries - always a DC adapter. But thanks for the
                    > > quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.

                    > > batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
                    > > soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
                    > > circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
                    > > as yours..good luck, Alan

                    > > I took
                    > > disassembly, I
                    > > would
                    > > like an
                    > > clock

                    > > If it
                    > > parts.
                    > > radios
                    > > wish I

                    > > old-school
                    > > anything on
                    > > 80 meters.

                  • ljmayes1
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                      Or see this:

                      http://img0030.popscreencdn.com/119780473_radio-shack-realistic-dx-440-dx440-sangean-803a-ebay.jpg

                      (a picture of the back of the receiver).

                      Lawrence

                      --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, john07242000 wrote:

                      > Refer to page 7 of the user manual...
                      > John
                      > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Ive taken the thing apart, and I dont see any AA batteries anywhere. Ive never put any in, either, so Im not sure this is correct. But thank you. Maybe there are different models of this radio.
                      > >
                      > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "wthrush11" wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
                      > > > only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
                      > > > anything else. Bill

                      > > > quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.

                      > > > batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
                      > > > soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
                      > > > circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
                      > > > as yours..good luck, Alan

                      > > > I took
                      > > > disassembly, I
                      > > > would
                      > > > like an
                      > > > clock

                      > > > If it
                      > > > parts.
                      > > > radios
                      > > > wish I

                      > > > old-school
                      > > > anything on
                      > > > 80 meters.

                    • suzanne geraci
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                        Hey, where can I find a user manual for this radio?
                        Thanks,
                        Suzanne
                        On Jan 27, 2013, at 3:49 AM, john07242000 wrote:

                        > Refer to page 7 of the user manual...
                        > John
                        > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Ive taken the thing apart, and I dont see any AA batteries anywhere. Ive never put any in, either, so Im not sure this is correct. But thank you. Maybe there are different models of this radio.
                        > >
                        > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "wthrush11" wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
                        > > > only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
                        > > > anything else. Bill

                        > > > quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.

                        > > > batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
                        > > > soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
                        > > > circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
                        > > > as yours..good luck, Alan

                        > > > I took
                        > > > disassembly, I
                        > > > would
                        > > > like an
                        > > > clock

                        > > > If it
                        > > > parts.
                        > > > radios
                        > > > wish I

                        > > > old-school
                        > > > anything on
                        > > > 80 meters.

                      • WS8E
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                          This makes me think that it IS the clock batteries. There are 2 AA
                          batteries required in addition to the D cells or the AC adapter. They are
                          in a compartment under where the D cells go. If they are dead or dying,
                          all sorts of strange behaviors occur.

                          On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM, scott_hutter <scott.hutter@...>wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > I dont use batteries at all - just the AC/DC adapter. But thanks for the
                          > info.
                          >

                          > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, WS8E wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Have you forgotten about the clock batteries? Could it be they are just
                          > > near end of life?
                          > >
                          > > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM, scott_hutter wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > **
                          >

                          > > > Well, my 440 is definitely dying. It would not power on, and so I took
                          > it
                          > > > apart to check connections. At some point during the disassembly, I
                          > tried
                          > > > again to power it on, and it came on. Then I put it back together and
                          > > > wouldnt come back on. After a few attempts, I would sometimes get a
                          > bizarre
                          > > > display on the LCD, and the tuning knob would either not work at all,
                          > or
                          > > > tune in the wrong direction. Seems like an IC somewhere has just lost
                          > its
                          > > > mind. Its back together, I get a clock and thats about it.
                          > > >
                          > > > So I ordered another one off Ebay, should be here in a few days. If it
                          > is
                          > > > a good radio, Ill donate this broken one to someone here for parts. (I
                          > see
                          > > > people needing knobs etc all the time). Sad, but these radios were
                          > built
                          > > > 20+ years ago and wont last forever I guess. Just wish I knew more
                          > about
                          > > > electronics to fix it.
                          > > >
                          > > > Aside, I also recently obtained a DX-160. Its much more old-school than
                          > > > the 440, and Im not liking it as much. Wont pick up anything on MW (AM
                          > > > broadcast) which is odd. But it does pull in some SSB on 80 meters.

                        • Robert G
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                            See Files section for this group. Look for pdf users' manual for DX 440. There might also be one for the 803A.

                            Best,

                            RG

                            --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, suzanne geraci wrote:

                            > Hey, where can I find a user manual for this radio?
                            > Thanks,
                            > Suzanne
                            > On Jan 27, 2013, at 3:49 AM, john07242000 wrote:
                            >

                            > > Refer to page 7 of the user manual...
                            > > John
                            > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Ive taken the thing apart, and I dont see any AA batteries anywhere. Ive never put any in, either, so Im not sure this is correct. But thank you. Maybe there are different models of this radio.

                          • Vince
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                              It's in the group's files section. I recently found it handy.

                              Vince

                              ________________________________
                              Hey, where can I find a user manual for this radio?
                              Thanks,
                              Suzanne
                              On Jan 27, 2013, at 3:49 AM, john07242000 wrote:

                              > Refer to page 7 of the user manual...
                              > John
                              > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "scott_hutter" wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Ive taken the thing apart, and I dont see any AA batteries anywhere. Ive never put any in, either, so Im not sure this is correct. But thank you. Maybe there are different models of this radio.
                              > >
                              > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "wthrush11" wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > The clock batteries are independent of the AC adapter -- the adapter
                              > > > only substitutes for the D batts. Replace the AA's before you do
                              > > > anything else. Bill

                              > > > quick response. Maybe it will help someone else.

                              > > > batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
                              > > > soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against the
                              > > > circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same properties
                              > > > as yours..good luck, Alan

                              > > > I took
                              > > > disassembly, I
                              > > > would
                              > > > like an
                              > > > clock

                              > > > If it
                              > > > parts.
                              > > > radios
                              > > > wish I

                              > > > old-school
                              > > > anything on
                              > > > 80 meters.

                            • wharpt1
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                                Look in the files section of the group.

                                Wharpt

                                (mailto:Sangean803@yahoogroups.com) , "Alan" wrote:

                                > > > batteries. I got one of these radios and had the same problem. I
                                > > > soldered the wire instead of depending just physical contact against
                                the
                                > > > circuit board. Before I did this the radio exhibited the same
                                properties
                                > > > as yours..good luck, Alan

                                > > > I took
                                > > > disassembly, I