Old new member

  • Bigjed
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 6, 2012
      Hi all.Just picked up a lovely Matsui MR-4099 and just wondered how you guys think it compares with the other models of the same radio.I have owned 2 803As at various times in the last 10 years,but gave up the hobby about 5 years ago.But that darn bug has bitten me again.Mainly into Airband,but willing to listen to anything.Just had a hairy little interlude when the radio locked up after installing new batteries.Sorted it though.Keep'er lit!
    • g4dmp
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 6, 2012
        Hi Gerry - Performance-wise you should find the MR-4099 precisely the same as your ATS-803A receivers.

        I bought a Matsui MR-4099 from Curry's in February 1989 for 89.99ukp and it has given excellent service throughout the years. It is a badged version of the Sangean ATS-803A and similar to the Realistic DX-400, Saisho SW5000, SuperTech SR-16D etc. However, unlike some of the others, it does have the 5-pin DIN connector fitted as standard.

        Welcome back to radio after your absence. Now to get your amateur licence....

        David G4DMP
        Leeds, UK

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 6, 2012
          --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "g4dmp" <david@...> wrote:

          > Hi Gerry - Performance-wise you should find the MR-4099 precisely the same as your ATS-803A receivers.
          >
          > I bought a Matsui MR-4099 from Curry's in February 1989 for 89.99ukp and it has given excellent service throughout the years. It is a badged version of the Sangean ATS-803A and similar to the Realistic DX-400, Saisho SW5000, SuperTech SR-16D etc. However, unlike some of the others, it does have the 5-pin DIN connector fitted as standard.
          >
          > Welcome back to radio after your absence. Now to get your amateur licence....
          >
          > David G4DMP
          > Leeds, UK

          Y'know David,I've never had the hankering for a licence.Sure,I did a bit of DXing back in the heady days of CB (early 80s),but now I'm just content to listen.I'm more into Airband than anything else,but will listen to listen to anything interesting that happens along.I also like Broadcast AM dxing and have made a rather good directional loop antenna in the past,and listened to AM stations in Europe,which romped in.Looking forward to doing all that again.

        • renton481
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 7, 2012
            Hi Gerry,
            Welcome to the group.

            The 440 / 803A seems to work well on MW, so if you build (or buy) another loop you should get some good results. The past year has been pretty good for MW considering the sunspot cycle. Even this summer has been better than usual.

            Chris
            renton481

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 7, 2012
              Well wouldn't you jest know it.I got a problem.When I plug in a temporary longwire to the socket on the back,I lose all signal.Switch is set to 'Ext'I tried a bit of NDB spotting on 332khz (Belfast Intl Airport)without the LW and could hear the Morse signal,albeit a bit weak.Plugged in the LW and the signal disappeared.Switch back to 'int' and I could hear it again as before.Even 252khz(RTE radio 2)which normally blasts in here in N.I.was gone when I flicked to 'ext'Whats happening guys?

              --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "renton481" <renton481@...> wrote:

              > Hi Gerry,
              > Welcome to the group.
              >
              > The 440 / 803A seems to work well on MW, so if you build (or buy) another loop you should get some good results. The past year has been pretty good for MW considering the sunspot cycle. Even this summer has been better than usual.
              >
              > Chris
              > renton481
              >
              > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Bigjed" <gerrytweedie@> wrote:
              > >

              > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "g4dmp" <david@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Gerry - Performance-wise you should find the MR-4099 precisely the same as your ATS-803A receivers.
              > > >
              > > > I bought a Matsui MR-4099 from Curry's in February 1989 for 89.99ukp and it has given excellent service throughout the years. It is a badged version of the Sangean ATS-803A and similar to the Realistic DX-400, Saisho SW5000, SuperTech SR-16D etc. However, unlike some of the others, it does have the 5-pin DIN connector fitted as standard.
              > > >
              > > > Welcome back to radio after your absence. Now to get your amateur licence....
              > > >
              > > > David G4DMP
              > > > Leeds, UK
              > > >
              > > Y'know David,I've never had the hankering for a licence.Sure,I did a bit of DXing back in the heady days of CB (early 80s),but now I'm just content to listen.I'm more into Airband than anything else,but will listen to listen to anything interesting that happens along.I also like Broadcast AM dxing and have made a rather good directional loop antenna in the past,and listened to AM stations in Europe,which romped in.Looking forward to doing all that again.

            • Tim Hills
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 7, 2012
                Hi Gerry, welcome to the group.

                I had a similar experience that turned out to be 3 separate problems on
                my 440.

                The phono plug I was using had too wide a collar and the center contact
                wasn't making comtact with the center conductor on the jack.

                After shaving down the collar on the plug I discovered that the int/ext.
                antenna switch was corroded, a shot of Deoxit and exercising it a bit
                cleared that up nicely.

                The center conductor on the jack had a bit of corrosion making the
                connection noisy. Deoxit on a q-tip solved that one.

                Works like a champ now.

                The radio also had the battery connection corrosion and a bit here and
                there too, probably was exposed to a salt environment at some time.

                Hope that helps

                Tim Hills
                Sioux Falls, SD

                On 7/7/2012 8:27, Bigjed wrote:

                > Well wouldn't you jest know it.I got a problem.When I plug in a
                > temporary longwire to the socket on the back,I lose all signal.Switch
                > is set to 'Ext'I tried a bit of NDB spotting on 332khz (Belfast Intl
                > Airport)without the LW and could hear the Morse signal,albeit a bit
                > weak.Plugged in the LW and the signal disappeared.Switch back to 'int'
                > and I could hear it again as before.Even 252khz(RTE radio 2)which
                > normally blasts in here in N.I.was gone when I flicked to 'ext'Whats
                > happening guys?
                >
                > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:Sangean803%40yahoogroups.com>, "renton481" <renton481@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Gerry,
                > > Welcome to the group.
                > >
                > > The 440 / 803A seems to work well on MW, so if you build (or buy)
                > another loop you should get some good results. The past year has been
                > pretty good for MW considering the sunspot cycle. Even this summer has
                > been better than usual.
                > >
                > > Chris
                > > renton481
                > >
                > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:Sangean803%40yahoogroups.com>, "Bigjed" <gerrytweedie@> wrote:
                > > >

                > > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com

                > precisely the same as your ATS-803A receivers.

                > 89.99ukp and it has given excellent service throughout the years. It
                > is a badged version of the Sangean ATS-803A and similar to the
                > Realistic DX-400, Saisho SW5000, SuperTech SR-16D etc. However, unlike
                > some of the others, it does have the 5-pin DIN connector fitted as
                > standard.

                > amateur licence....

                > > > Y'know David,I've never had the hankering for a licence.Sure,I did
                > a bit of DXing back in the heady days of CB (early 80s),but now I'm
                > just content to listen.I'm more into Airband than anything else,but
                > will listen to listen to anything interesting that happens along.I
                > also like Broadcast AM dxing and have made a rather good directional
                > loop antenna in the past,and listened to AM stations in Europe,which
                > romped in.Looking forward to doing all that again.

              • michael zyara
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 7, 2012
                  Had trouble here with the RCA jack in the radio. Cleaned it with deoxit. Still some RCA plugs are intermittent, so I suspect the jack is failing.
                  Mike AD1OS

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 7, 2012
                    Larry that could be the answer.I tried to listen to some of the N.Atlantic track freqs,in particular 8864khz,and found that the LW actually boosted the signal in this case.One thing I've noticed on the NDB front is that although the given freq for Bel Int'l is 332khz,it's actually clearer and louder on 335khz.I also note that my PC is causing some interference.Anyhoo,thanx for the input guys.Much appreciated.(Keep it coming)

                    --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <lanbergld@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Gerry,
                    >
                    > To the best of my knowledge the 'Ext' antenna connection will not work on longwave. What I used to do was simply place a loopstick right on top of the DX-440, for a major boost in longwave reception. (You can use the loopstick to couple your wire antenna to the radio, inductively). The loopstick does not necessarily need to be tuned either - just so long as it has plenty of turns for a decent size inductance.
                    >
                    > I notice that you like the same kind of Dx'ing I do, ncluding the air band. Allow me to highly recommend the Tecsun PL-660 portable radio. I'm currently enjoying this one - yes even on longwave here in the middle of summer.
                    >

                    > Larry

                  • Larry
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 7, 2012
                      Hello Gerry,

                      To the best of my knowledge the 'Ext' antenna connection will not work on longwave. What I used to do was simply place a loopstick right on top of the DX-440, for a major boost in longwave reception. (You can use the loopstick to couple your wire antenna to the radio, inductively). The loopstick does not necessarily need to be tuned either - just so long as it has plenty of turns for a decent size inductance.

                      I notice that you like the same kind of Dx'ing I do, including air band. Allow me to highly recommend the Tecsun PL-660 portable radio. I'm currently enjoying this one - yes even on longwave here in the middle of summer.

                      Larry
                    • Bigjed
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 7, 2012
                        Isn't senility bliss?The reason why the NDB sounds stronger 3khz down is because it's actually a completely different NDB,GMN,which is Gormanstown in Dublin.D'oh!
                        --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Bigjed" <gerrytweedie@...> wrote:

                        > Larry that could be the answer.I tried to listen to some of the N.Atlantic track freqs,in particular 8864khz,and found that the LW actually boosted the signal in this case.One thing I've noticed on the NDB front is that although the given freq for Bel Int'l is 332khz,it's actually clearer and louder on 335khz.I also note that my PC is causing some interference.Anyhoo,thanx for the input guys.Much appreciated.(Keep it coming)
                        >
                        > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <lanbergld@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hello Gerry,
                        > >
                        > > To the best of my knowledge the 'Ext' antenna connection will not work on longwave. What I used to do was simply place a loopstick right on top of the DX-440, for a major boost in longwave reception. (You can use the loopstick to couple your wire antenna to the radio, inductively). The loopstick does not necessarily need to be tuned either - just so long as it has plenty of turns for a decent size inductance.
                        > >
                        > > I notice that you like the same kind of Dx'ing I do, ncluding the air band. Allow me to highly recommend the Tecsun PL-660 portable radio. I'm currently enjoying this one - yes even on longwave here in the middle of summer.
                        > >

                        > > Larry

                      • Bigjed
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 8, 2012
                          OK Tim,but can I ask,when you plugged the phono plug in,did it virtually silence the radio?I say virtually in that it doesn't go completely dead,just sorta vetoes any usable signal that was there.There's still an audible background noise.I'll give that a go anyway.Let you know how it goes.Thanx.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 8, 2012
                            Further to this:I tried what Tim suggested and used Deoxit into the phono socket.didn't make much difference.Still died when the plug was inserted.Then a little experiment.Using a thin screwdriver,I inserted this into the socket with the switch set to 'ext' and found that by jiggling it about,the audio would cut out when I move the s/driver to a certain position.I think the socket itself is not making good contact with whatever it attaches itself to on the inside.Time to take the back off,methinx!
                            --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Bigjed" <gerrytweedie@...> wrote:

                            > OK Tim,but can I ask,when you plugged the phono plug in,did it virtually silence the radio?I say virtually in that it doesn't go completely dead,just sorta vetoes any usable signal that was there.There's still an audible background noise.I'll give that a go anyway.Let you know how it goes.Thanx.
                            >
                            > --- In Sangean803@yahoars. Il.
                            > > > happening guys?
                          • Larry
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 8, 2012
                              Hello Gerry,

                              1. An easy way to improve longwave reception on your radio is to take your long wire and simply wrap it around the radio, in the center. Wrap it maybe 10 times if possible. Don't connect it to anything. It will give you a little boost for sure, although it could be a dramatic improvement, depending.

                              2. You don't need that antenna jack for shortwave. You can bypass it. Take a your long wire (minus the plug) and insert it into the base of the telescopic antenna. You can leave the telescopic down on the radio, you don't need to extend it. That's your external antenna connection. Just be sure to leave the switch on "Int" because that's what you're routing through. Also be prepared to cut your RF Gain knob way back.

                              3. Your antenna jack is probably not making connection in the center, as you are observing. You don't really need it.

                              Larry
                            • Bigjed
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 10, 2012
                                --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <lanbergld@...> wrote:

                                > Hello Gerry,
                                >
                                > 1. An easy way to improve longwave reception on your radio is to take your long wire and simply wrap it around the radio, in the center. Wrap it maybe 10 times if possible. Don't connect it to anything. It will give you a little boost for sure, although it could be a dramatic improvement, depending.
                                >
                                > 2. You don't need that antenna jack for shortwave. You can bypass it. Take a your long wire (minus the plug) and insert it into the base of the telescopic antenna. You can leave the telescopic down on the radio, you don't need to extend it. That's your external antenna connection. Just be sure to leave the switch on "Int" because that's what you're routing through. Also be prepared to cut your RF Gain knob way back.
                                >
                                > 3. Your antenna jack is probably not making connection in the center, as you are observing. You don't really need it.
                                >

                                > Larry

                                OK Larry.Thanx for that.I tried what you said and it does make a slight improvement.I cant help thinking that my PC isn't helping though because previously I could monitor RAF Volmet freq 5450khz with no probs,it is now enveloped in a sea of buzzes and crackles.I used to use this freq as a yardstick to compare various listening locations.I'll try moving stuff about.
                              • Larry
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 10, 2012
                                  Gerry,

                                  I myself never, ever have anything electrical on in the same room with my radio. Computers and also cable TV modems wreak havoc on reception. In most cases they also need to be unplugged, not simply turned off. In addition you might have to unplug your TV. Also play with your RF Gain knob. When I was using the DX-440 I needed to cut the gain way back, in order to get good reception of distant signals. Doing that removes a lot of trash.

                                  Larry
                                • Bernie Skoch
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 10, 2012
                                    Gerry,

                                    Radio propagation has been abysmal lately, so that may have something to do with it.

                                    Bernie

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 11, 2012
                                      --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <lanbergld@...> wrote:

                                      > Gerry,
                                      >
                                      > I myself never, ever have anything electrical on in the same room with my radio. Computers and also cable TV modems wreak havoc on reception. In most cases they also need to be unplugged, not simply turned off. In addition you might have to unplug your TV. Also play with your RF Gain knob. When I was using the DX-440 I needed to cut the gain way back, in order to get good reception of distant signals. Doing that removes a lot of trash.
                                      >

                                      > Larry

                                      Yes Larry,I've discovered that.Just last night I was listening to some HF transatlantic stuff on 2889khz which was lost in hash,and I realized that my PC monitor was right beside the radio.Turned the monitor off and WOW what a difference!Only problem being my scanners are here too and I use them in conjunction with the PC.Problems problems!