DC power supply

  • john07242000
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1 2:00 PM
      Hi Folks,
      I have a question not related to this group but need some advice. I have a SSB transciever that requires according to the spec 12 vdc 30 amps. I want to buy a power a good LINEAR supply but wonder do I need a 30 amp continuious or 30 amp Surge???

      Also good to read all the good posts lately...currently my DX 440 is out performing my ICOM M710 mentioned above!
      John
    • StarStation
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1 2:46 PM
        Hi John,
        My guess would be 30 amp surge.  I assume you have a transceiver rated at 200W PEP.
        The supply would be capable of 360 watts peak, and that should handle your voice peaks on transmit, with a safety margin.  Glad you're enjoying the DX 440.

        Respectfully,
        Craig, K3NQO

        Listen live:
             "The Best Music Ever Made"
         starstationradio.com

        I have a question not related to this group but need some advice. I have a SSB transciever that requires according to the spec 12 vdc 30 amps. I want to buy a power a good LINEAR supply but wonder do I need a 30 amp continuious or 30 amp Surge???

        Also good to read all the good posts lately...currently my DX 440 is out performing my ICOM M710 mentioned above!
        John

      • Jerry
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1 2:51 PM
          I would go with a good Samlex 1235M I use them on all my HF Gear. I believe
          the price is in the $35 range.

          A good shortwave receiver like the 803A can many time out perform a HF Ham
          Rig .. Most of them are optimized for the Ham Bands.. Where a SWL Rig is
          designed for the SWL bands..

          73 jerry n9lya

          However always remember a radio is only as good as the antenna. J

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1 7:05 PM
            John,

            What model of transceiver is it?

            (Most 100-watt models do well on a 20 amp supply.)

            Bernie