Circuit Hiss

  • rain4day
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2012
      Hello, My 403a does not have much whine but does have the inherent circuit hiss. Has anyone ever experimented with adding some polyester bypass capacitors to the audio amp? Seems there must be a way to decrease some of the hiss. Mine is quite excessive, with the volume turned all the way down its loud (yes, on batteries) John
    • little thinker
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2012
        --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "rain4day" <rain4day@...> wrote:

        > Hello, My 403a does not have much whine but does have the inherent circuit hiss. Has anyone ever experimented with adding some polyester bypass capacitors to the audio amp? Seems there must be a way to decrease some of the hiss. Mine is quite excessive, with the volume turned all the way down its loud (yes, on batteries) John

        A problem like this would be caused by a niosy amplifier IC or bad leaky capacitors around the IC. Some freeze spray may localize the problem. Mac
      • raymond.goff@btinternet.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
          --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "rain4day" <rain4day@...> wrote:

          > Hello, My 403a does not have much whine but does have the inherent circuit hiss. Has anyone ever experimented with adding some polyester bypass capacitors to the audio amp? Seems there must be a way to decrease some of the hiss. Mine is quite excessive, with the volume turned all the way down its loud (yes, on batteries) John

          rain4day
          Have you tried locking the receiver... (slider switch, bottom right)?
          This usually removes synthesiser whine.
        • StarStation
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
            I have a different problem.  My radio has a small winding on the main ferrite loop antenna that is not connected to anything; just two litz wires hanging off of the coil.  does anyone have a schematic showing the loop, or information as to where the coil should be attached?  Thank you in advance.  CB

            Best regards, Craig Baker, K3NQO

            Not sent from my iPhone

            > Hello, My 403a does not have much whine but does have the inherent circuit hiss. Has anyone ever experimented with adding some polyester bypass capacitors to the audio amp? Seems there must be a way to decrease some of the hiss. Mine is quite excessive, with the volume turned all the way down its loud (yes, on batteries) John

            rain4day
            Have you tried locking the receiver... (slider switch, bottom right)?
            This usually removes synthesiser whine.

          • Ray Harrilla
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
              If you have the volume all the way down and still have the hiss, it
              would seem that the problem is either in the power supply (batteries?)
              or the output going to the speakers right after the volume control...

              Hope this has been a help.

              Ray
            • rain4day
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
                HI, Yes, you are probably right. I have not opened it up in a while. I've been meaning to replace some caps. I'll start there since its something I want to do anyway and see what happens. Thanks

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
                  Hi, Yes, that sometimes has slight effect on whine but mine is more to do with hiss and since its seemed to have gotten worse in the last year, I think the other member may be correct, may be some issues with some caps. Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
                    HI, Thanks! I will check it out. Maybe next week I will have a chance to get it on the bench. I'll report back what I find... JM