rotary tuning knob

  • raymond goff
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2011
      Hi everyone. Is there a clever person out there who can advise how to replace the plastic rotary tuning knob? Mine shattered in a travel mishap and I am desperate to fix it. Does the plastic housing just pull out and can a spare be obtained.

      Thanks in advance
      Ray

    • crabtreejr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2011
        Hi Ray

        I have removed one of these in the past for cleaning, but it was a long
        time ago...

        You have to get inside the radio. IIRC there are three clips which have to
        be released so that the knob and encoder can be removed. You have to
        unplug the cable as well. The construction is very simple - just three sliding
        contacts on a PCB. If you have all of the pieces you might be able to
        resurrect it.

        Sadly, I am fairly certain that spares are no longer available. You could
        check that well known auction site.

        Good luck and 73

        John KC0G

        In a message dated 11/10/2011 12:24:23 PM Central Standard Time,
        raymond.goff@... writes:
        > Hi everyone. Is there a clever person out there who can advise how to
        > replace the plastic rotary tuning knob? Mine shattered in a travel mishap and
        > I am desperate to fix it. Does the plastic housing just pull out and can a
        > spare be obtained.
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        > Ray

      • raymond goff
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 11, 2011
          Hi John

          Thanks for that advice. I guess if I can't get a spare knob/coder assembly, then there's no point in removing the damaged one. I will hunt around on that auction site for one and in the meantime I have placed a similar size lid to a herb jar over the damaged knob. It actually looks the business!

          I was, to be honest, never a fan of that encoder thingy as it tended to jump frequency; and to be frank it is much easier to tune via the up/down buttons or, as is more usual, just type in the frequency required. Not sour grapes, honest.

          Other than that, this is a fantastic radio which, at HF and only with the whip, gives a good account of itself next to my Racal RA1772 (admittedly the Racal has a very unmatched long wire antenna).

          Having already tweaked the tuned circuits years ago to get a bit more AM sensitivity out of it, this radio will never leave my collection and if I get a better fitting herb jar lid I will fit that! I wonder how it compares with the ATS-909...

          Thanks again for your reply and 73 from the east of England.