A place to start....

  • navnfo34
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
      Hello everyone. I am looking for a place to start. Very certain the information I need has been posted a thousand times but I would be most grateful if someone would kindly point me in the right direction.

      A little history if you have the time. Wanting to join the "digital" age I purchased a DX-440 new from "the Shack" around 1987. As a youngster I had been introduced to SW and MW DX through my grandfather and his Trans Oceanic and then subsequent ownership of a DX-160 (a 14th birthday present from my parents) which I still have . At the time I thought the 440 a good radio and had many enjoyable years using it. But, alas, the new and "more is better" mentality finally got the best of me and I abandoned the 440 for a string of radios that never quite satisfied. Not that the 440 was perfect you know.

      Don't know what triggered it but around the end of last year I begin to surf the 440 on ePay. Around then I also joined your group but never had enough time to catch up with all the mods and advances. Made several attempts to purchase one, finally scoring recently. It seems in good repair and cosmetically it is very nice, plus it was less than half a C note, delivered. Operating it is a real joy and after all the others I understand why this thing is popular still today. Even the chuffing which annoyed me back then sounds welcoming now. Glad to be back.

      Sorry for the ramblings. I could use a new antennae, any sources? That's about it physically and it is not critical but the perfectionist thing… Is there a file somewhere I should read first? I do not detect any mods on this radio. Any cautions about operating it now that it is somewhat older?

      Thanks for the patience. I will continue to research the files and history here. Any help/advice/direction will be greatly appreciated.

      Don
    • rain4day
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
        Hi, Welcome to the Sangean 803a forum! Thanks for sharing a great story! I'm sure you will come across an antenna that will work, in the meantime a short wire antenna, even 20' or less strung inside works wonders, especially for SSB. Hope you enjoy your "new" receiver, I think we are at an age in Shortwave radios where in many instances older is better, especially concerning build quality! Take care...John

        --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "navnfo34" <navnfo34@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone. I am looking for a place to start. Very certain the information I need has been posted a thousand times but I would be most grateful if someone would kindly point me in the right direction.
        >
        > A little history if you have the time. Wanting to join the "digital" age I purchased a DX-440 new from "the Shack" around 1987. As a youngster I had been introduced to SW and MW DX through my grandfather and his Trans Oceanic and then subsequent ownership of a DX-160 (a 14th birthday present from my parents) which I still have . At the time I thought the 440 a good radio and had many enjoyable years using it. But, alas, the new and "more is better" mentality finally got the best of me and I abandoned the 440 for a string of radios that never quite satisfied. Not that the 440 was perfect you know.
        >
        > Don't know what triggered it but around the end of last year I begin to surf the 440 on ePay. Around then I also joined your group but never had enough time to catch up with all the mods and advances. Made several attempts to purchase one, finally scoring recently. It seems in good repair and cosmetically it is very nice, plus it was less than half a C note, delivered. Operating it is a real joy and after all the others I understand why this thing is popular still today. Even the chuffing which annoyed me back then sounds welcoming now. Glad to be back.
        >
        > Sorry for the ramblings. I could use a new antennae, any sources? That's about it physically and it is not critical but the perfectionist thing… Is there a file somewhere I should read first? I do not detect any mods on this radio. Any cautions about operating it now that it is somewhat older?
        >
        > Thanks for the patience. I will continue to research the files and history here. Any help/advice/direction will be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Don

      • robert gorsch
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
          Hi:

          I was able to obtain a replacement whip antenna from Sangean a few years ago. Like you, I really wanted to have a perfect specimen.   I think the exact replacement might be unavailable now, but you could ask them for the closest equivalent to the antenna for the ATS 803 A.  You might be able to swap it for the broken antenna.  Look up Sangean USA on line.

          On the other hand, on shortwave the DX 440 doesn't do very well with just the whip--at least not in the western USA.  What it really needs is a random wire antenna outside the house.  Try a 40' length of wire thrown up into a tree, run  to a fence, or tacked to the outside of the house.  Mine is just a wire out the window, run up to the eaves, and then out to a pretty tall tree.  Length 40-45'.  This works really well with an antenna tuner.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2011
            Thanks for the tips, I am still trying to read and understand all of the information here. Time is the scarce commodity. Will try to post specific questions when I have them. Don.

            --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "navnfo34" <navnfo34@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone. I am looking for a place to start. Very certain the information I need has been posted a thousand times but I would be most grateful if someone would kindly point me in the right direction.
            >
            > A little history if you have the time. Wanting to join the "digital" age I purchased a DX-440 new from "the Shack" around 1987. As a youngster I had been introduced to SW and MW DX through my grandfather and his Trans Oceanic and then subsequent ownership of a DX-160 (a 14th birthday present from my parents) which I still have . At the time I thought the 440 a good radio and had many enjoyable years using it. But, alas, the new and "more is better" mentality finally got the best of me and I abandoned the 440 for a string of radios that never quite satisfied. Not that the 440 was perfect you know.
            >
            > Don't know what triggered it but around the end of last year I begin to surf the 440 on ePay. Around then I also joined your group but never had enough time to catch up with all the mods and advances. Made several attempts to purchase one, finally scoring recently. It seems in good repair and cosmetically it is very nice, plus it was less than half a C note, delivered. Operating it is a real joy and after all the others I understand why this thing is popular still today. Even the chuffing which annoyed me back then sounds welcoming now. Glad to be back.
            >
            > Sorry for the ramblings. I could use a new antennae, any sources? That's about it physically and it is not critical but the perfectionist thing… Is there a file somewhere I should read first? I do not detect any mods on this radio. Any cautions about operating it now that it is somewhat older?
            >
            > Thanks for the patience. I will continue to research the files and history here. Any help/advice/direction will be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Don

          • john07242000
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 6, 2011
              I would go back to ePay and get a decent long wire antenna...forget about the whip.