no sound

  • rojosuizarojosuiza
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2011
      After my first supertech SR-16 HN which I bought and which didn't work - I did look for solutions in this group - I ventured to buy another one. I paid E 17.50 for it, and yes, I was told, this ons was in good working order. Of course it wasn't! I wasn't able to repair de first radio, but this new one had a defect in a different section, a part which worked fine in the first one.

      Second radio is now repaired and works perfectly. Transistor Q307 was blown into oblivion, replaced by BC640, at a cost of 19 cents!

      Diagnosis: Reception o.k.; no sound; Power light ON, even when off. Transistor literally blown to pieces!
    • Rick Robinson
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2011
        Since this is a Sangean list I'll ask the village elders here. Does
        anyone own one of the new '909X receivers? I am curious about the DSP
        circuitry that Sangean has designed in the new receiver. Does anyone
        know if this is a DSP IF with DSP filtering or if it is used as audio
        filtering?

        Silicon Labs makes a superb set of DSP radio chips, the Si4734 which is
        used in many Ultralight AM/FM/SW/LW radios and the '4735 which adds RBDS
        decoding to the '4734 performance. I doubt Sangean is using an Si chip
        but it may be possible. Sangean has favored a 450kHz IF in past
        receivers and the DSP IF of the Si chips is in the 45kHz range.

        The new '909X looks like a very interesting radio. I've owned a DX-398,
        and an ATS-909 in addition to my ATS-803, HDT-1, PR-D5, and a little
        SR-25. I've been a Sangean owner for years and found all their products
        to be very good. The PR-D5 is a very good MW receiver in addition to
        having excellent RDS decoding on FM. I hope the '909X is as good as the
        PR-D5 in both areas.

        Rick W4DST