Re: antennas?

  • Chris C.
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2003
      Hi Kerry,
      My longwire ends in an alligator clip, which I attach to a section of
      wire that connects to the center pin of an RCA plug, that plugs
      into the back of my DX440.

      When I'm not listening to the radio, I'll clip my antenna to a
      ground wire, which is basically a long section of relatively thick
      aluminum wire that goes out my window, and down to a
      grounding rod shoved into the ground. So, I ground my antenna
      using the K.I.S.S. method (the ol' "keep it simple, stupid"
      method).

      Some people ground their radios by using the shield on the RCA
      plug, and apparently get good results. I've never noticed much
      difference at my location, though. I have rigged up a little 20 ft.
      dipole out of zip wire, that plugs into the RCA jack in the back of
      my 440, and that gave me pretty good results. But my longwire
      seems to work better for me right now.....

      You could try to ground the shield of the RCA plug and see if you
      get better results that way.

      Either way, it'd be a good idea to disconnect your longwire
      antenna from the radio when not using it, and grounding the
      longwire to prevent static charges building up. Especially if you
      live in thunderstorm country. :-)

      Hope this helps.....
      Chris

      --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "write2kerry"
      <write2kerry@y...> wrote:
      > Chris,
      >
      > Thanks for the info. One question. How do you ground the
      longwire or
      > do you? For the life of me I can't remember how I had the
      ground set
      > up at the old place. It was several years ago but I do know I
      had a
      > ground just can't remember how it was hooked up. Should I
      somehow
      > connect a wire from ground to the outer ring of the rca plug?

    • write2kerry
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2003
        Thanks Chris. I do live in t. storm country. I also unplug when not
        in use but I like your idea of grounding when not in use too. That
        would be pretty easy to set up here.

        kerry