Re: Antenna Question

  • J Alan Johnson
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2011
      Whatever you decide regarding the antenna, make absolutely certain to properly ground it.

      I made the mistake of making an inadequate ground with a longwire array a dozen years ago. A lightning strike one mile away made toast of the front-end of my DX-440. I've been properly grounded ever since the radio was repaired.

      JJ

      You learn from a conglomeration of the incredible past -
      whatever experience gotten in any way whatsoever.
      ...Bob Dylan...

      Visit my blog at: http://pulse.yahoo.com/_QDIQOA4ACBEADVAWJXEVXWFBQA/blog

    • Bob Betts
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2011
        I made a lot of money repairing "static electricity-zapped" front ends - 803A, 440, Sony, Panasonic, Radio Shack, etc. I even killed one of my own 803A'a with carpet static in my stocking feet. Not just portables, but most all solid state radios are subject to low level static discharge and strike induction...in a bad way. Just this past Fall, I've worked on 2 Yaesu's (FRG-7, FRG 7700), a Kenwood (R-5000) and an Icom (R-71A) and IC-741 with burnt front ends. One FT-1000 was completely un-savable due to a very close strike, as was an old K'wood TS-700.Don't confuse static build up with near by strike induction...they are different animals, but still, transformer shunting is a big insurance factor. It's way too dangerous to avoid, and so easy to protect.For my home shack I use an overall static protection circuit which consists of DC Bleed, Hash filters, and Impulse shunts. The NE-2 discharge tube for the receivers will flash regularly during periods of
        dry snowfall, dry summer winds, and of course fall t-storms. And it will flash even with the outside baluns during severe t-storms. It takes about 60-75 volts to flash an NE-2. That kind of energy will kill a transistor front end, if not protected.
        I never bring into the house, an antenna that isn't transformer fed. All my end-fed antennas have 9:1 baluns. Good grounding alone isn't enough, the static buildup must be dealt with outside the house...preferably with a DC shunt offered by the balun. Like I said, I get paid to fix 'em, but my personal radios are well-protected.
        Hey, Happy '11 to ya' all,and good signals,Bob

        http://www.bobsamerica.com/swl.html* Music * Audio * Radio *"It's all good"

        --- On Sat, 1/1/11, J Alan Johnson <swabby@...> wrote:

        Whatever you decide regarding the antenna, make absolutely certain to properly ground it.

        I made the mistake of making an inadequate ground with a longwire array a dozen years ago. A lightning strike one mile away made toast of the front-end of my DX-440. I've been properly grounded ever since the radio was repaired.

        JJ

        You learn from a conglomeration of the incredible past -

        what

      • brianwisconsin
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2011
          Interesting how a 20 foot antenna works just as well as a 100 footer. Tried a quarter length wire and half width and noticed no difference.