Internal Ferrite bar antenna sheild mod

  • rain4day
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2010
      HI, I read this on an eham review:

      "I published a few mods in the "DX Monitor" newsletter of the IRCA back in the mid 90s. One was a way to sheild the built in ferrite bar antenna from the digital display, to get rid of the whining."

      I found this intriguing, has anyone here performed this mod or know how it should be done? I searched the forums here and could not find exactly what I was looking for, maybe I missed something?

      John
    • Lawrence
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2010
        I don't have the exact instructions for that, but I'd like to add something that may be helpful. Typical ferrite loopstick shielding involves a piece of metal foil between the rod & the noise source. And then a wire is run from the foil > to > ground.

        In fact, Ramsey Electronics employs that same concept on their "Signal Magnet" loopstick antenna (Q.v.) Me, I tried that type of shielding one time, but it did absolutely nothing for me - Didn't seem like the shield even existed.

        Larry Lanberg

        Richmond VA
      • rain4day
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 14, 2010
          HI, Ok, thanks for the info. I'm very happy with the 803A that I recently bought and really don't have problems with excessive noise. I thought with headphones I would hear a lot more noise but it's actually quieter then with the built in speaker, not sure why? Is this just to do with the headphones frequency range? Or is something to do with the speaker being bypassed? John