DX-440 speaker replacement

  • Hokie_Ramp
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2010
      I'm not having a problem with my speaker, just thinking about taking my DX-440 apart and cleaning it. Looks like some dust has collected inside the speaker grill. If I find that the speaker cone edge support has deteriorated with age, I'll want to replace it.

      Has anyone replaced one of these speakers? Where could I get a new one?

      Thanks.
    • MJavit@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2010
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

        Mark

        I'm not having a problem with my speaker, just thinking about taking my DX-440 apart and cleaning it. Looks like some dust has collected inside the speaker grill. If I find that the speaker cone edge support has deteriorated with age, I'll want to replace it.

        Has anyone replaced one of these speakers? Where could I get a new one?

        Thanks.

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 26, 2010
          I agree 100% on that one sometimes you can make thigs a LOT worse
          Paul

          I'm not having a problem with my speaker, just thinking about taking my DX-440 apart and cleaning it. Looks like some dust has collected inside the speaker grill. If I find that the speaker cone edge support has deteriorated with age, I'll want to replace it.

          Has anyone replaced one of these speakers? Where could I get a new one?

          Thanks.

        • pea.koil
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 27, 2010
            If the speaker cone adhesive has deteriorated, my first instinct would be to repair it with rubber cement. That would be the easiest, cheapest option. This has been discussed on other shortwave radio groups and apparently works rather well. Contacting Sangean is probably your best bet should you decide to replace the speaker. I know others have gotten replacement antennas for their radios by calling them. Their contact info page is here:

            http://www.sangean.com/contact_us/contact_us.asp?um=5

            The original Radio Shack speaker part number is 11088853 (SPEAKER,4" 8 OHM 2W). A full list of P/Ns can be found here, if you ever need it:

            http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc21/21364.htm