re

  • david addison
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10 10:25 PM
      Hi Dave Addison here from NZ I have just recently resurrected my sangean 803 from its place of sleep were it has been since the late 90ties everything is fine and dandy with it except for the short wave where I have lots of static.I wonder if this could be due to the fact that since I last used it when it worked fine in the short wave. I now have less than two feet away from me through a plaster and lathe wall a cable feed for tv plus TV and Internet, plus a whole swag of on off switches for my wife's new found passion for indoor fish tanks (sigh).
      Could I have in fact and electrical field of some sort that is distorting my shortwave signals?The mind boggles.
      I eagerly await answers from the boffins of the site .
      Thanks Dave A

    • Bob Yorston
      Message 2 of 7 , May 11 1:51 AM
        Hi Dave - The cables and the fishpond shouldn't do anything, but - is there a dimmer or anything similar on a heater in the fishpond, and make certain the confuser is turned off!
        Bob.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , May 11 3:44 AM
          Hi Dave,

          Not only must I shut off my computer (which is in the next room) but I also have to unplug the power supply from it, when starting up my radios. Otherwise I would have static & intererence too. You should have noise on the longwave band as well - Do you?

          I don't feel its stated enough to keep computers away from radios. Far away and unplugged.

          Larry Lanberg

          Richmond VA
        • pea.koil
          Message 4 of 7 , May 11 4:10 AM
            Dave, I started getting back into shortwave radio about four years ago and was surprised by how much noise there was on the bands. It turns out that many of our modern niceties also produce tons of RF interference.

            Computer monitors and modems seem to be really bad, and almost everybody has one. My DSL modem wipes out entire swathes so bad can't hear anything at all. Putting chokes on the power and data cables didn't help. The only solution is to unplug it when I want to use the radio. Other things like certain types of lights and even appliances can generate huge amounts of noise. The parking lot light here was failing last year and would cycle on/off all night. It created an intermittent, buzzing "arc welder" type noise on all frequencies that completely drowned out reception.

            First you need to find out what's causing the noise. Does it happen all the time? Just during certain times of the day? All or most frequencies? Does it vary in intensity, or have a cyclic nature to it? What kind of antenna are you using? If you can describe it a little more maybe someone can offer a suggestion.

            Try taking the radio outdoors, away from the house and see if that helps any. That will help determine if it's a radio problem, or really RF interference. If it helps, then try powering down various things in your home, one at a time, to see if that stops it. Unfortunately, it's possible that one of your neighbors has something causing the interference. Good luck.

            Cody

            --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, david addison <drongolips@...> wrote:

            > Hi Dave Addison here from NZ I have just recently resurrected my sangean 803 from its place of sleep were it has been since the late 90ties everything is fine and dandy with it except for the short wave where I have lots of static.I wonder if this could be due to the fact that since I last used it when it worked fine in the short wave. I now have less than two feet away from me through a plaster and lathe wall a cable feed for tv plus TV and Internet, plus a whole swag of on off switches for my wife's new found passion for indoor fish tanks (sigh).
            > Could I have in fact and electrical field of some sort that is distorting my shortwave signals?The mind boggles.
            > I eagerly await answers from the boffins of the site .
            > Thanks Dave A

          • a1aopr
            Message 5 of 7 , May 11 1:57 PM
              One way to test if it's homegrown is to turn off the main breaker and
              see if it's still there. If so, it could be a neighbor's equipment or
              there is another outside source. If it's the power company pole
              hardware or municipal street light problem, feel free to make some noise
              to them yourself. If it's a neighbor....good luck! Jerry.
              --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, pea.koil <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Dave, I started getting back into shortwave radio about four years ago
              and was surprised by how much noise there was on the bands. It turns
              out that many of our modern niceties also produce tons of RF
              interference.

              > Computer monitors and modems seem to be really bad, and almost
              everybody has one. My DSL modem wipes out entire swathes so bad can't
              hear anything at all. Putting chokes on the power and data cables
              didn't help. The only solution is to unplug it when I want to use the
              radio. Other things like certain types of lights and even appliances
              can generate huge amounts of noise. The parking lot light here was
              failing last year and would cycle on/off all night. It created an
              intermittent, buzzing "arc welder" type noise on all frequencies that
              completely drowned out reception.

              > First you need to find out what's causing the noise. Does it happen
              all the time? Just during certain times of the day? All or most
              frequencies? Does it vary in intensity, or have a cyclic nature to it?
              What kind of antenna are you using? If you can describe it a little
              more maybe someone can offer a suggestion.

              > Try taking the radio outdoors, away from the house and see if that
              helps any. That will help determine if it's a radio problem, or really
              RF interference. If it helps, then try powering down various things in
              your home, one at a time, to see if that stops it. Unfortunately, it's
              possible that one of your neighbors has something causing the
              interference. Good luck.

              > Cody
              >
              > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, david addison drongolips@ wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Dave Addison here from NZ I have just recently resurrected my
              sangean 803 from its place of sleep were it has been since the late
              90ties everything is fine and dandy with it except for the short wave
              where I have lots of static.I wonder if this could be due to the fact
              that since I last used it when it worked fine in the short wave. I now
              have less than two feet away from me through a plaster and lathe wall a
              cable feed for tv plus TV and Internet, plus a whole swag of on off
              switches for my wife's new found passion for indoor fish tanks (sigh).
              > > Could I have in fact and electrical field of some sort that is
              distorting my shortwave signals?The mind boggles.
              > > I eagerly await answers from the boffins of the site .
              > > Thanks Dave A

            • KE7CYT
              Message 6 of 7 , May 11 8:34 PM
                Hi Dave:

                You'll never know for certain until you perform the simple test of putting batteries in the set and operating it away from your house. If it receives more signals with less noise then it should be obvious that there is a significant amount of interference in the vicinty of your home.

                Take heart - for a small investment in time and money you should be able to put up an outdoor wire antenna with a grounded coaxial feed that will bring a signal from outside with minimum interference.

                Use Google to find designs for simple random wire antennas. Being a ham, I use my outdoor dipole fed through a transmatch with very good results.

                Cheers!

                Kurt KE7CYT

                --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, david addison <drongolips@...> wrote:

                > Hi Dave Addison here from NZ I have just recently resurrected my sangean 803 from its place of sleep were it has been since the late 90ties everything is fine and dandy with it except for the short wave where I have lots of static.I wonder if this could be due to the fact that since I last used it when it worked fine in the short wave. I now have less than two feet away from me through a plaster and lathe wall a cable feed for tv plus TV and Internet, plus a whole swag of on off switches for my wife's new found passion for indoor fish tanks (sigh).
                > Could I have in fact and electrical field of some sort that is distorting my shortwave signals?The mind boggles.
                > I eagerly await answers from the boffins of the site .
                > Thanks Dave A

              • Lawrence
                Message 7 of 7 , May 11 9:35 PM
                  Better yet, tune the radio to 520 kHz. While its on, point the upper corner of the radio directly at your fish tank or cable TV modem. If the static lessens in volume when you point the radio's corner at it, then likely it is your interference source.

                  Larry