440DX got rained on

  • muttyacht
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 3, 2009
      Left the RS DX440 in the car. (It's my car radio -- the Alpine was stolen long ago.) We had one heck of a storm here yesterday and everything got wet, including the inside of the car. Radio would not run though the clock runs. I figured we had left it on too long and the batteries were dead. New batteries. No response, just the clock.

      Should I just let it dry out for a couple of days or aggressively attack it?
    • wharpt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4, 2009
        Pull the batteries (D's and AA's) for half an hour and set the radio in the
        sun for that time. Then, re-install the batteries and try again. Wharpt

      • otakebi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 4, 2009
          Most, if not all modern components, are water proof.
          However, the mistake most people make is they try to turn on a unit to see
          if it still works after it gets wet.
          That is a big no no.
          You see the water on the boards short out the components.
          Now you really have a problem.
          Never turn on a unit that was off if it gets wet until you are sure it has
          completely dry.
          It will be fine.
          If it was on when it got wet it will need to be checked.
          If you turned it on wet it will need to be checked, if it won't come on
          later after it gets dry.
          You might get lucky.
          Open it up and use a hair drier or put it outside.
          Do not put it in direct sunlight or you will damage the display.
          Good luck,
          Dan/N4VET

          steps!
          =JulystepsfooterNO115)

        • Kurt M. Krueger KE7CYT
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 4, 2009
            My son's iPod got wet enough that you could see water between the LCD and the glass. Fortunately, he didn't turn it on. Here's what saved it:

            1) Removed the battery. Ordered a replacement - easy since your DX440 uses "D" cells!

            2) Put the iPod in a sealed box with along with a cup of flower drying compound. The flower drying stuff is just silica gel with a dye mixed in - it's blue when dry and pink when it absorbs water. We let the iPod sit there for 10 days till the stuff turned pink.

            3) Gave the iPod a blowout with canned air. Replaced the battery. Works just fine!

            Your DX440 is a sweet rig. I'd try the dryout method above; maybe remove the back cover to move the process along quicker.

            Best of Luck!

            Kurt KE7CYT

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 5, 2009
              Thanks for the tips. The half-hour sun dry did not work. So it's on to silica gel.

              This is my second DX-440, bought on eBay. The first, kept mostly on a boat, succumbed to corrosion. It doesn't take much.

              I'd hate to lose it. It has gone all over the world with me.

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 11, 2009
                The poor thing seems to be totally kaput! The light works as does the clock but the power switch does nothing. I have opened it up but can't get the bottom board out so that I can check the switch itself. Any disassembly hints would be appreciated. So far, no evidence of corrosion.

                If I cannot fix it I will give it away to anyone who can use it for parts. I'm not really into small electronics work these days, though I have built my share of Heathkits.

                I am following some DX-440s and Sangeans on eBay.

                I really miss my radio. Sniff!

                --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, otakebi@... wrote:

                > Most, if not all modern components, are water proof.
                > However, the mistake most people make is they try to turn on a unit to see
                > if it still works after it gets wet.
                > That is a big no no.
                > You see the water on the boards short out the components.
                > Now you really have a problem.
                > Never turn on a unit that was off if it gets wet until you are sure it has
                > completely dry.
                > It will be fine.
                > If it was on when it got wet it will need to be checked.
                > If you turned it on wet it will need to be checked, if it won't come on
                > later after it gets dry.
                > You might get lucky.
                > Open it up and use a hair drier or put it outside.
                > Do not put it in direct sunlight or you will damage the display.
                > Good luck,
                > Dan/N4VET

                > steps!
                > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222846709x1201493018/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
                > =JulystepsfooterNO115)

              • muttyacht
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 12, 2009
                  I just bought a Sangean 803 on eBay. $75 plus $16.78 shipping (a bit much, I think).

                  Would anyone like to have my dead 440DX for parts? No charge and shipping won't be anywhere near $16+.

                  --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, muttyacht <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > The poor thing seems to be totally kaput! The light works as does the clock but the power switch does nothing. I have opened it up but can't get the bottom board out so that I can check the switch itself. Any disassembly hints would be appreciated. So far, no evidence of corrosion.
                  >
                  > If I cannot fix it I will give it away to anyone who can use it for parts. I'm not really into small electronics work these days, though I have built my share of Heathkits.
                  >
                  > I am following some DX-440s and Sangeans on eBay.
                  >
                  > I really miss my radio. Sniff!
                  >
                  > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, otakebi@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Most, if not all modern components, are water proof.
                  > > However, the mistake most people make is they try to turn on a unit to see
                  > > if it still works after it gets wet.
                  > > That is a big no no.
                  > > You see the water on the boards short out the components.
                  > > Now you really have a problem.
                  > > Never turn on a unit that was off if it gets wet until you are sure it has
                  > > completely dry.
                  > > It will be fine.
                  > > If it was on when it got wet it will need to be checked.
                  > > If you turned it on wet it will need to be checked, if it won't come on
                  > > later after it gets dry.
                  > > You might get lucky.
                  > > Open it up and use a hair drier or put it outside.
                  > > Do not put it in direct sunlight or you will damage the display.
                  > > Good luck,
                  > > Dan/N4VET
                  > >
                  > > **************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy
                  > > steps!
                  > > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222846709x1201493018/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
                  > > =JulystepsfooterNO115)

                • Jerry - N9LYA
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 12, 2009
                    If you still have it I want it.. Send me email off list to
                    admin@... or send paypal invoice. for shipping. I can pay with
                    PP or Check/MO

                    73 Jerry N9LYA

                    _____

                    --- In Sangean803@yahoogro <mailto:Sangean803%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,
                    muttyacht <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > The poor thing seems to be totally kaput! The light works as does the
                    clock but the power switch does nothing. I have opened it up but can't get
                    the bottom board out so that I can check the switch itself. Any disassembly
                    hints would be appreciated. So far, no evidence of corrosion.

                    > If I cannot fix it I will give it away to anyone who can use it for parts.
                    I'm not really into small electronics work these days, though I have built
                    my share of Heathkits.

                    > I am following some DX-440s and Sangeans on eBay.
                    >
                    > I really miss my radio. Sniff!
                    >
                    > --- In Sangean803@yahoogro <mailto:Sangean803%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,
                    otakebi@ wrote:

                    > > Most, if not all modern components, are water proof.
                    > > However, the mistake most people make is they try to turn on a unit to
                    see
                    > > if it still works after it gets wet.
                    > > That is a big no no.
                    > > You see the water on the boards short out the components.
                    > > Now you really have a problem.
                    > > Never turn on a unit that was off if it gets wet until you are sure it
                    has
                    > > completely dry.
                    > > It will be fine.
                    > > If it was on when it got wet it will need to be checked.
                    > > If you turned it on wet it will need to be checked, if it won't come on
                    > > later after it gets dry.
                    > > You might get lucky.
                    > > Open it up and use a hair drier or put it outside.
                    > > Do not put it in direct sunlight or you will damage the display.
                    > > Good luck,
                    > > Dan/N4VET
                    > >
                    > > **************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2
                    easy
                    > > steps!
                    > > (http://pr.atwola
                    <http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222846709x1201493018/aol?redir=htt
                    p://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd>
                    com/promoclk/100126575x1222846709x1201493018/aol?redir=http://www.freecredit
                    report.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
                    > > =JulystepsfooterNO115)

                  • pea.koil
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 12, 2009
                      I'll take it. Click the "send email" link under my user name and we'll work out the details.

                      --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, muttyacht <no_reply@...> wrote:

                      > I just bought a Sangean 803 on eBay. $75 plus $16.78 shipping (a bit much, I think).
                      >
                      > Would anyone like to have my dead 440DX for parts? No charge and shipping won't be anywhere near $16+.

                    • Barry Sherwood
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 12, 2009
                        I'LL TAKE IT! Just contact me off the reflrctor on how you want the shipping paid and so forth.

                        Barry Sherwood
                        KF5GC

                        I just bought a Sangean 803 on eBay. $75 plus $16.78 shipping (a bit much, I think).

                        Would anyone like to have my dead 440DX for parts? No charge and shipping won't be anywhere near $16+.

                        --- In Sangean803@yahoogro ups.com, muttyacht <no_reply@.. .> wrote:

                        > The poor thing seems to be totally kaput! The light works as does the clock but the power switch does nothing. I have opened it up but can't get the bottom board out so that I can check the switch itself. Any disassembly hints would be appreciated. So far, no evidence of corrosion.

                        > If I cannot fix it I will give it away to anyone who can use it for parts. I'm not really into small electronics work these days, though I have built my share of Heathkits.

                        > I am following some DX-440s and Sangeans on eBay.

                        > I really miss my radio. Sniff!

                        > --- In Sangean803@yahoogro ups.com, otakebi@ wrote:

                        > > Most, if not all modern components, are water proof.

                        > > However, the mistake most people make is they try to turn on a unit to see

                        > > if it still works after it gets wet.

                        > > That is a big no no.

                        > > You see the water on the boards short out the components.

                        > > Now you really have a problem.

                        > > Never turn on a unit that was off if it gets wet until you are sure it has

                        > > completely dry.

                        > > It will be fine.

                        > > If it was on when it got wet it will need to be checked.

                        > > If you turned it on wet it will need to be checked, if it won't come on

                        > > later after it gets dry.

                        > > You might get lucky.

                        > > Open it up and use a hair drier or put it outside.

                        > > Do not put it in direct sunlight or you will damage the display.

                        > > Good luck,

                        > > Dan/N4VET

                        > > ************ **A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy

                        > > steps!

                        > > (http://pr.atwola. com/promoclk/ 100126575x122284 6709x1201493018/ aol?redir= http://www. freecreditreport .com/pm/default. aspx?sc=668072& hmpgID=115& bcd

                        > > =JulystepsfooterNO1 15)

                      • muttyacht
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 13, 2009
                          Now I wish I had started an auction:) Several people are clamoring for this dead 440DX.

                          Well, no auction and no charge but shipping to the first to respond, who appears to be "73 Jerry N9LYA."

                          Sorry guys. There is only one dead radio. And I am pretty sure that the successful responder will be able to get it working again. That's life.

                          By the way, the wall wart is missing.