Re: Fenbruary Question of the Month

  • Chris C. <renton481@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
      My favorite shortwave radio station is the Voice of Turkey, I can't
      understand any of the language, but who needs to -- the music
      is the coolest music on the airwaves. That and All India Radio,
      when I can receive them..... great music.
      Chris C.

      --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, broadw <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:

      > This month's question is a simple one, but one I'd like to get
      >
      > What is your favorite shortwave radio station right now?
      > (We'll keep the nostalgic memories for a later question ;)
      >
      > Matt
    • broadw
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2003
        --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Chris C. <renton481@y...>"
        <renton481@y...> wrote:
        > My favorite shortwave radio station is the Voice of Turkey, I can't
        > understand any of the language, but who needs to -- the music
        > is the coolest music on the airwaves. That and All India Radio,
        > when I can receive them..... great music.
        > Chris C.

        Hi Chris... thanks for your post!! I like Turkey's English service,
        but never have listened to its Turkish service. Could you tell me
        please what times and freqs you use?

        One bad thing about the English services is that the audio tends to
        be a little muffled, and the words can be hard to understand. Do you
        ever notice this in the Turkish service? I think it is a mixing
        problem over in their production studios, rather than a
        transmission/propagation problem.

        Matt
      • Chris C. <renton481@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2003
          Hi Matt and everybody,
          I 've never heard the English service of the Voice of Turkey. I've
          only heard the Turkish one, which I discovered by accident years
          ago, and have been listening to it ever since.

          I haven't tuned it in in a month, because of things going on in my
          life, where I've been away from my radios.... but I usually hear it
          nearly every evening after 0300 or 0400 U.T.C. or so, on 9460
          khz, and I think it's also on 7300 khz., if memory serves. One of
          the frequencies will cut off before the other one. I forget which
          one it is. The 9640 khz frequency has remained more or less
          the same for the past eight years or so, every night of music,
          pretty regular. So I think they're still on that freq. this
          month.... :-)

          You'll notice th V. of Turkey by the music -- it's seems like
          non-stop music. The news is usually read by a woman at the
          top of the hour, and there will be maybe a half hour or so of
          Turkish speech and commentary; then an hour or two of music.
          Then maybe another half hour of speech by men after the news,
          then an hour or so of non-stop music.

          The Voice of Turkey's Turkish service is very music intensive.
          There's Turkish folk music, as well as Turkish pop music, and
          some Turkish rock-pop also (with some 80's style rock guitar,
          and 80's style synthesisers) -- although it's mostly folk music,
          with instruments like the cumbus and sanz predominating.

          I haven't noticed any modulation problems. The music is pretty
          hi-fi, and the speech sounds the same as most domestic
          shortwave stations you hear on the airwaves..... not as clear as
          Radio Netherlands, maybe, but not noticeably bad, either.

          Hope this helps.
          Chris C.

          I found a DXer's web page that lists more Turkish SWBC freq's:
          http://www.dxsheigra.freeserve.co.uk/spt302me.htm

          --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, broadw <no_reply@y...>
          > Hi Chris... thanks for your post!! I like Turkey's English service,
          > but never have listened to its Turkish service. Could you tell me
          > please what times and freqs you use?
          >
          > One bad thing about the English services is that the audio
          tends to
          > be a little muffled, and the words can be hard to understand.
          Do you
          > ever notice this in the Turkish service? I think it is a mixing
          > problem over in their production studios, rather than a
          > transmission/propagation problem.
          >
          > Matt
        • broadw
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2003
            Hi Chris... Thanks for posting the freqs and times you listen to the
            VOT. I like the English service alot... they have a full hour each
            day, and they have very good programming. It starts with news, press
            review, and then goes into alot of different areas. It can be
            history, culture, music, and even cooking! I really recommend you
            take a listen to it when you can. The only downside is the audio
            isn't great, and the news announcers tend to be a bit monotone.

            Here is the schedule I have:

            UTC FREQS
            2300-0000 9655, 6020
            0400-0500 6020, 7240

            I have heard the 2300 broadcast on 9655, and the 0400 can really come
            in well on 6020 some nights.

            Good luck! I'm going to try for the Turkish service tonight!

            Matt