Cleaning the rotary tuning knob

  • MM
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 5, 2009
      Guys..

      Sometime ago thre was a response from someone about getting the 803a rotary tuning knob cleaned up so that it works again.

      Would appreciate anyone who remembers or has this reponse letting me know

      Mike
      Australia

      Yahoo!7 recommends that you update your browser to the new Internet Explorer 8.Get it now.

    • David Pratt
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 6, 2009
        Yes, I did it, Mike. You will need to strip the ATS-803A down
        sufficiently to remove the encoder. Then take it apart very carefully,
        clean the contacts and retension them. Put it back together again and
        the tuning will be smooth.

        A certain amount of manual dexterity is needed ;-)

        73

        David

        In a recent message, MM <nvisageme@...> wrote ...

        --
        David G4DMP
        Leeds, England, UK
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 6, 2009
          Several months ago I successfully cleaned my DX-440's encoder using an electric contact cleaning spray called "RID-OX". It had gotten so bad the frequency would randomly jump up and down, no matter which direction you turned the knob. It worked wonders and the tuning functions like new again. The spray is also a lubricant, so the wheel spins noticeably easier and with less noise.

          --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, MM <nvisageme@...> wrote:

          > Guys..
          >
          > Sometime ago thre was a response from someone about getting the 803a rotary tuning knob cleaned up so that it works again.
          >
          > Would appreciate anyone who remembers or has this reponse letting me know
          >
          > Mike
          > Australia
          >

          > Yahoo!7 recommends that you update your browser to the new Internet Explorer 8.Get it now.

        • renton481
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 7, 2009
            --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, pea.koil <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Several months ago I successfully cleaned my DX-440's encoder using an electric contact cleaning spray called "RID-OX". It had gotten so bad the frequency would randomly jump up and down, no matter which direction you turned the knob. It worked wonders and the tuning functions like new again. The spray is also a lubricant, so the wheel spins noticeably easier and with less noise.
            >
            > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, MM <nvisageme@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Guys..
            > >
            > > Sometime ago thre was a response from someone about getting the 803a rotary tuning knob cleaned up so that it works again.
            > >
            > > Would appreciate anyone who remembers or has this reponse letting me know
            > >
            > > Mike
            > > Australia
            > >

            > > Yahoo!7 recommends that you update your browser to the new Internet Explorer 8.Get it now.

            A few years ago I cleaned up the performance of the rotary tuner on mine by spraying inside the back of the knob (took the back off the radio -- I didn't take the knob and encoder apart -- left it intact) with deoxit brand cleaner, and wiping up the excess.

            Enough must have gotten into the contacts to quiet it down, because it quit jumping frequency.

            Another quicker fix is to spin the knob, it will remove some oxidation from the contacts.
          • MM
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 13, 2009
              Thanks all - removed it and the 'inbuilt' fluff - cleaned with a soft cloth and lubricated with Inox [a good Aussie made lubricant that doesn't dry out, gum up or wash off.]
              Now it back to normal - thank goodness.  All went well with assembly then afterwards I misconnected the power adapter  & got the usual screen garbage when the IC locks or whatever it does.
              Now we wait for a few minutes before plugging it back in.
              Has anyone actually connected a very micro push switch to act as an instant Reset rather than waiting for the memory to power down after the memory batteries are removed ??

              Other radios - has anyone owned a Sangean ATS 808 [the smaller brother of the 803] or the micro sized Welz WS1000E with 500k-1300Mhz continuous cover -
              this little chap is about the size of a cigarette packet at about 4" high and 2 1/4 " wide.  I was told you guys in the States were not permitted these as they covered the mobile
              phone bands. True??

              If interested you are you can find a review of the Welz at http://www.strongsignals.net/access/reviews/reviews.cgi?type=display&rtype=rev&class=recv&num=004%c2%a0and the
              ATS 808 at http://www.mwcircle.org/res-receiver-sangeanats808.htm

              This website apparently has manuals for number of different Sangean models   http://www.mods.dk/manual.php?brand=sangean%c2%a0yopu may have to register to download..

              Regards
              Mike

              ________________________________
              > Several months ago I successfully cleaned my DX-440's encoder using an electric contact cleaning spray called "RID-OX". It had gotten so bad the frequency would randomly jump up and down, no matter which direction you turned the knob. It worked wonders and the tuning functions like new again. The spray is also a lubricant, so the wheel spins noticeably easier and with less noise.
              >
              > --- In Sangean803@yahoogro ups.com, MM <nvisageme@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Guys..
              > >
              > > Sometime ago thre was a response from someone about getting the 803a rotary tuning knob cleaned up so that it works again.
              > >
              > > Would appreciate anyone who remembers or has this reponse letting me know
              > >
              > > Mike
              > > Australia
              > >

              > > Yahoo!7 recommends that you update your browser to the new Internet Explorer 8.Get it now.

              A few years ago I cleaned up the performance of the rotary tuner on mine by spraying inside the back of the knob (took the back off the radio -- I didn't take the knob and encoder apart -- left it intact) with deoxit brand cleaner, and wiping up the excess.

              Enough must have gotten into the contacts to quiet it down, because it quit jumping frequency.

              Another quicker fix is to spin the knob, it will remove some oxidation from the contacts.

              Enjoy a better web experience. Upgrade to the new Internet Explorer 8 optimised for Yahoo!7. Get it now.

            • canoemaneh
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 2009
                when cleaning electronic sliders and potentiometers, DEOXIT D-5 CLEANER IS THE BEST--- BUT YOU REALLY HAVE TO REMEMBER TO RELUBE THE SLIDER AND POTENTIOMETER WITH A LUBE LIKE DEOXIT FADER LUBE F-5.
                THEY COME IN VARIOUS SIZES AND ARE A HIT WITH PEOPLE REWORKING VINTAGE ELECTRONICS.
                WHEN YOU REMOVE THE OXIDATION YOU ALSO REMOVE THE LUBRICATION.
                THE SLIDER OR POTENTIOMETER CAN GET DAMAGED BY NOT RE LUBRICATING AFTER CLEANING.

                CANOEMANEH

                Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "renton481" <renton481@...> wrote:

                > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, pea.koil <no_reply@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Several months ago I successfully cleaned my DX-440's encoder using an electric contact cleaning spray called "RID-OX". It had gotten so bad the frequency would randomly jump up and down, no mat
              • Jim
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 15, 2010
                  FYI Mike,  I just bought a NIB Sangean 808 on eBay, because I could not find a 606.
                  Very disappointed in the 808 on SW and MW.  The 808 cannot block out the strong FM stations in the SW bands. The Sangean 606 provides a clean signal.

[...]

                  If interested you are you can find a review of the Welz at http://www.strongsi gnals.net/ access/reviews/ reviews.cgi? type=display& rtype=rev& class=recv& num=004 and the
                  ATS 808 at http://www.mwcircle .org/res- receiver- sangeanats808. htm

                  This website apparently has manuals for number of different Sangean models   http://www.mods dk/manual. php?brand= sangean yopu may have to register to download..

                  Regards
                  Mike

                  ____________ _________ _________ __
                  > Several months ago I successfully cleaned my DX-440's encoder using an electric contact cleaning spray called "RID-OX". It had gotten so bad the frequency would randomly jump up and down, no matter which direction you turned the knob. It worked wonders and the tuning functions like new again. The spray is also a lubricant, so the wheel spins noticeably easier and with less noise.
                  >
                  > --- In Sangean803@yahoogro ups.com, MM <nvisageme@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Guys..
                  > >
                  > > Sometime ago thre was a response from someone about getting the 803a rotary tuning knob cleaned up so that it works again.
                  > >
                  > > Would appreciate anyone who remembers or has this reponse letting me know
                  > >
                  > > Mike
                  > > Australia
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo!7 recommends that you update your browser to the new Internet Explorer 8.Get it now.

                  A few years ago I cleaned up the performance of the rotary tuner on mine by spraying inside the back of the knob (took the back off the radio -- I didn't take the knob and encoder apart -- left it intact) with deoxit brand cleaner, and wiping up the excess.

                  Enough must have gotten into the contacts to quiet it down, because it quit jumping frequency.

                  Another quicker fix is to spin the knob, it will remove some oxidation from the contacts.

                  Enjoy a better web experience. Upgrade to the new Internet Explorer 8 optimised for Yahoo!7. Get it now.

                • Jerry - N9LYA
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 15, 2010
                    Hi Jim… How does the 606 compare to the 803… Possibly looking to get a new
                    radio?? Not sure what is best in the portable range.. 73 jerry

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 15, 2010
                      The 606 is a compact AM/FM/SW/LW radio, about 3"x5", very small compared to the 803.
                      The 803 has nice audio, and your ears will not fatigue from long listening periods, however it does not cut out the strong FM signals that bleed over to the SW bands.
                      I think the best is the Sony 7600GR although its audio quality is not as good as the 803
                      From: MM <nvisageme@... <mailto:nvisageme%40yahoo.com.au> >

                      models.

                      To: Sangean803@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Sangean803%40yahoogroups.com>