AC adapter AKA 'Wall Wart' -- can anyone point me to a good one?

  • Kurt M. Krueger KE7CYT
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2009
      Dear 803 Tribe:

      If you've been following the message stream for awhile, you'd know
      I've been trying to find a noise-free power supply for my ATS-803a. I'd bought one from Radio Shack (RS Catalog #: 273-027) that seemed pretty good, but in point of fact it makes listening below 8000 khz pretty much impossible.

      My fallback has been to cobble together an external battery power supply based on 6 AA Ni-MH cells. Listening on 3810 I can hear HD2IOA time/freq in Ecuador, always a good indication of clean battery power and decent (indoor) antenna. Plug in the RS ac adapter and it's back to RFI hell. I put a couple snap-on ferrite beads on the ac adapter cord and that helped some. I honestly wonder what Radio Shack means when they say the supply is 'filtered'. I suspect they mean there's one filter cap between the rectifier and regulator and nothing more...

      So -- has anyone found a ac adapter that is truly noise-free? Please send me your recommendation if you've found one!

      Best regards,

      Kurt KE7CYT
    • Jerry - N9LYA
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2009
        Hi Kurt. I have owned one since day 1.. I have never found a wal wart that
        is fully quiet.. I unfortunately always use batteries D Cells, Rechargeable
        I have three sets one in radio and one charged and one charging.

        If you find one that is truly a performer please share your findings..

        73 Jerry

        N9LYA

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 6, 2009
          I think your PS noise problem is actually the RFI trash riding in from the AC lines with the PS allowing the RF noise laden lines to act as the ground plane for the radio. It is unlikely (tho' possible) that the AC supply itself is generation all of the noise.
          You can try grounding the radio to an earth ground via ground rod or metallic cold water pipe to see if this bypasses the line noise and reduces it, or just continue to use line-independent battery power. Either way, the earth grounding should improve reception up to the point of potentiol overloading/intermodulation problems from a too-strong signal.
          S.B.

          --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry - N9LYA" <n9lya@...> wrote:

          > Hi Kurt. I have owned one since day 1.. I have never found a wal wart that
          > is fully quiet.. I unfortunately always use batteries D Cells, Rechargeable
          > I have three sets one in radio and one charged and one charging.
          >

          > If you find one that is truly a performer please share your findings..
          >

          > 73 Jerry
          >
          > N9LYA

        • Kurt M. Krueger KE7CYT
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6, 2009
            You're probably right! My radio is grounded, from the ring connection on the antenna jack to a 8 foot ground rod a short distance away. I noticed that if I disconnect the antenna, the RFI goes away so I can't blame the adapter for generating noise. I've got a Grundig G5, and if I run it from it's adapter using the same antenna/ground arrangement, I get much less RFI -- but both radios do sound better run from batteries.

            I'm starting to think that I'm best off just using my external Ni-MH battery pack. It's more fun to listen than chase RFI problems.

            Thanks for your input!

            73's, Kurt KE7CYT

            --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Steve B." <baldy3823@...> wrote:

            > I think your PS noise problem is actually the RFI trash riding in from the AC lines with the PS allowing the RF noise laden lines to act as the ground plane for the radio. It is unlikely (tho' possible) that the AC supply itself is generation all of the noise.
            > You can try grounding the radio to an earth ground via ground rod or metallic cold water pipe to see if this bypasses the line noise and reduces it, or just continue to use line-independent battery power. Either way, the earth grounding should improve reception up to the point of potentiol overloading/intermodulation problems from a too-strong signal.
            > S.B.
            >

            > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry - N9LYA" <n9lya@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Kurt. I have owned one since day 1.. I have never found a wal wart that
            > > is fully quiet.. I unfortunately always use batteries D Cells, Rechargeable
            > > I have three sets one in radio and one charged and one charging.
            > >

            > > If you find one that is truly a performer please share your findings..
            > >

            > > 73 Jerry
            > >
            > > N9LYA

          • Kurt M. Krueger KE7CYT
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 7, 2009
              Dear Steve, Jerry and all the others:

              I noticed that the AC adapter supplied with my Grundig G5 is rated at 8V and 200mA. This got me thinking (look out now!). I checked the voltage across and current thru my battery pack when running my ATS-803a, and measured 7.5V and 85mA. Where am I going with this? I could safely test the G5's AC adapter on my ATS-803a, so long as I get the polarity right on the connector - it's a different size and polarity is center positive OPPOSITE what the ATS-803a expects.

              To make a long story short, I jury rigged the connections, and found that the ATS-803a sounded *great* powered by the G5's adapter. The overwhelming noise down in the 80m amateur band was completely gone; the 803a was as noise-free as it is when playing from batteries. I tested about 15 minutes and the adapter didn't get warm to the touch.

              I retested with the Radio Shack 273-027 and the noise was back.

              I normally use the G5's adapter to charge Ni-MH cells in the G5; this means that I could conveniently use it to run the ATS-803a the rest of the time - or else I could buy a second adapter. Either way, I'm doing a bit of cable-building work to make the proper connections.

              The model of the adapter is SY-08020; it's branded either Grundig or Eton. It's $9.95 plus $3.00 shipping at Eton's website
              http://www.etoncorp.com/orderparts. Not a bad price.

              Thanks for your inputs - I'm hoping my experimenting proves useful to some fellow SWLs!

              Best Regards,

              Kurt KE7CYT

              --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt M. Krueger KE7CYT" <dutingfish@...> wrote:

              > You're probably right! My radio is grounded, from the ring connection on the antenna jack to a 8 foot ground rod a short distance away. I noticed that if I disconnect the antenna, the RFI goes away so I can't blame the adapter for generating noise. I've got a Grundig G5, and if I run it from it's adapter using the same antenna/ground arrangement, I get much less RFI -- but both radios do sound better run from batteries.
              >
              > I'm starting to think that I'm best off just using my external Ni-MH battery pack. It's more fun to listen than chase RFI problems.
              >
              > Thanks for your input!
              >
              > 73's, Kurt KE7CYT
              >
              > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Steve B." <baldy3823@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I think your PS noise problem is actually the RFI trash riding in from the AC lines with the PS allowing the RF noise laden lines to act as the ground plane for the radio. It is unlikely (tho' possible) that the AC supply itself is generation all of the noise.
              > > You can try grounding the radio to an earth ground via ground rod or metallic cold water pipe to see if this bypasses the line noise and reduces it, or just continue to use line-independent battery power. Either way, the earth grounding should improve reception up to the point of potentiol overloading/intermodulation problems from a too-strong signal.
              > > S.B.
              > >

              > > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry - N9LYA" <n9lya@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Kurt. I have owned one since day 1.. I have never found a wal wart that
              > > > is fully quiet.. I unfortunately always use batteries D Cells, Rechargeable
              > > > I have three sets one in radio and one charged and one charging.
              > > >

              > > > If you find one that is truly a performer please share your findings..
              > > >

              > > > 73 Jerry
              > > >
              > > > N9LYA

            • Michael
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 7, 2009
                Hello Kurt,

                A few years ago I misplaced my AC adaptor, and spent a few months of and on using some vaguely similar, but not very good replacements that I just happened to have in my junk box. Here what I did to replac it. It works very well. At my radio desk with all its various transceivers and associated accessories, I have two 13.8 vdc power supplies. Since the old '803 uses 9vdc, I decided to build a regulator to step the 12vdc down to 9vdc. So, long story short, I used a simple three terminal regulator, a LM7808. Its good for 1 amp. Its in a to-220 case style, so its easy to mount in a little box. Put a 1000mf electrolytic on the input and another on the output and you've got it. Oh, except for the 8 vdc output. To take care of that with 2 1n4401 diodes in series with the groung lead, that bumps it up to about 9.2vdc. I have used this little gizmo for year now, and I don't have any noise generated into the radio, end of problem. If your not in to this kind of construction, just stay with the rechargeable batteries, lifee is just too short to stress over wallwarts. Radio is supposed to be fun !! 73, de KC6SOR, michael
              • ZUMBRAO ZUMBROVKY
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 9, 2009
                  THE SANGEAN 803-A  - RADIO SCHACK DX 440 IS SAME  RADIO AND HAD A BRITISH
                  ROBERTS BRAND LINE OF .

                  IF SOMEBODY KNOWS THIS SET REF  PLEASE SEND INFORMATION ABOUT IT.

                  THANK YOU.

                  http://br.maisbuscados.yahoo.com

                • Kurt M. Krueger KE7CYT
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 21, 2009
                    All:

                    The Grundig G5 AC Adapter I ordered from Eton arrived, so I cut off the connector and soldered one that fits the ATS-803a - AFTER confirming that I had the negative lead on the center conductor! Knowing my gift for plugging the wrong adapter in to my stuff, I printed up a label stating what radio the adapter is intended for and that it's CENTER NEG.

                    It's working fine - quiet as batteries and a bit more convenient. It's nice to have a classic rig working properly.

                    Now my challenge is a Grundig-Tecsun Satellite 800 I picked up at a used bookstore for $25. It plays, but the volume control circuit is whacked because the volume settings range from very high to nuclear detonation. I took it apart and looked for obvious solder imperfections and found none so it'll go to the R.L. Drake facility in Ohio for a check-up. I'm having a ball getting a collection of vintage portables working.

                    Best to all de Kurt KE7CYT

                  • canoemaneh
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 5, 2009
                      I just ordered on from eBay, I will let you know how it works out.

                      This is the link to the adapter.

                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390031935127&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

                      --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt M. Krueger KE7CYT" <dutingfish@...> wrote:

                      > Dear 803 Tribe:
                      >
                      > If you've been following the message stream for awhile, you'd know
                      > I've been trying to find a noise-free power supply for my A
                      > Kurt KE7CYT

                    • canoemaneh
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 17, 2009
                        No luck with with the NO INTERFERENCE on the plug-in adapter I ordered from ebay.
                        the one I ordered does run the radio fine, but there is too much interference on the AM bands.
                        I might try a toroidial choke and get back to every one.
                        I guess I'll just stick to using rechargable litium batteries for when the radio is on the am shortwave bands.

                        Perry

                        --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "canoemaneh" <canoeman@...> wrote:

                        > I just ordered on from eBay, I will let you know how it works out.
                        >
                        > This is the link to the adapter.
                        >
                        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390031935127&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123
                        >

                        > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt M. Krueger KE7CYT" <dutingfish@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Dear 803 Tribe:
                        > >
                        > > If you've been following the message stream for awhile, you'd know
                        > > I've been trying to find a noise-free power supply for my A
                        > > Kurt KE7CYT

                      • Steve B.
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 27, 2009
                          This supply is a switching type, they generate RFI as a matter of normal function. You need a transformer type, the lumpy heavier type that used to be common. There will be a grounding effect thru the AC mains that will bring in RFI thru the wall socket & wiring. Portables are normally quieter off the batteries, with an earth ground rather than grounding thru the adapter.
                          S.B.

                          --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "canoemaneh" <canoeman@...> wrote:

                          > I just ordered on from eBay, I will let you know how it works out.
                          >
                          > This is the link to the adapter.
                          >
                          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390031935127&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123
                          >

                          > --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt M. Krueger KE7CYT" <dutingfish@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Dear 803 Tribe:
                          > >
                          > > If you've been following the message stream for awhile, you'd know
                          > > I've been trying to find a noise-free power supply for my A
                          > > Kurt KE7CYT

                        • Kurt M. Krueger KE7CYT
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 28, 2009
                            Here's a solution I posted a couple months ago:

                            I've had excellent results by modifying the Eton/Grundig E5/G5 AC adapter which you can buy new from Grundig's website:

                            http://www.etoncorp.com/cart/?p_addProduct=150565

                            Just cut off the existing connector and solder on a compatible connector - sorry I don't have a part number. BE SURE TO REVERSE POLARITY SO CENTER IS NEGATIVE OR YOU WILL HURT YOUR RADIO. Put some
                            kind of label on the modified adapter so 5 years later you'll know
                            about the reverse polarity.

                            Hope this helps,