Re: [Sangean803] lightning hit

  • robert baker
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 24, 2007
      Well, I had a cb base radio that took a direct lightning hit at the antenna and was able to repair it, took out the pll, vco, mixer, and the driver/final combo.

      Rick <rickm505@...> wrote: A not so quick question.

      I use a DX-440 on my sail boat for music and SW. I power it through a
      9 volt regulator connected to 12 volt boat power, and use an external
      antenna. 10 days ago we took a lightning hit to the top of my mast.
      The charge entered the boat's DC wiring and has done serious damage to
      the DX-440 as well as all electronics connected to DC wiring. From
      what I can tell by just looking inside the radio, Q303, Q305, Q306,
      Q307, and Q113 have been blown completely off the circuit boards
      leaving the solder leads sticking out of the boards.

      I took the back off the radio because I was optimistic about fixing it
      as I'm the original owner and absolutely love this radio. I guess I'm
      asking if anyone has seen anything like this and in their opinion if
      this is a lost cause.

      Thanks

      Rick in Florida