rec out

  • Erwin
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2 8:45 PM
      Hi group,

      I finally got to a Din 5 cable to get the rec out signal from my 803. I
      fed it to the external mic input a Sony TCM-200 voice recorder.
      <http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/5434/5434684_ra.jpg>
      The signal level was quite adequate to get a good recording. It is not
      weak or over modulated it is just perfect. And this recorder has 'double
      speed' and variable playback speed. So if you are listening to a
      foreign language you're not too good on you can always slow it down.

      The nicest thing I like about this recorder is that it is V-O-R. Voice
      operated Recording. So I can set up the timer on the 803 and when it
      comes on, as soon as there is signal on the rec out, the recorder turns
      on and begins to record as long as there is signal. Works quite well to
      get an off hours reception. It's about $30 in the U.S.

      It's a pity the RS-232 803/440 control effort was not successful. It
      would have been nice to be able to control the timer and the frequency
      to 'program' multiple sessions per day, but still great the way it is.
      I'm loving my 803. I wonder what's going to happen to it when we get
      'the big one' here in California. I sure hope it survives it.

      Thanks Matt and all for the great group

      Bests, -Erwin

      ---
      Virus Database (VPS): 000738-0, 05/03/2007
      Tested on: 5/2/2007 8:45:47 PM
    • WS8E
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3 3:59 AM
        thanks Erwin, If you get a chance, could you post the pin outs for the DIN
        connector as best you know them? They don't seem to be very well
        documented.

        On 5/2/07, Erwin <FENIX1@...> wrote:

        > Hi group,
        >
        > I finally got to a Din 5 cable to get the rec out signal from my 803. I
        > fed it to the external mic input a Sony TCM-200 voice recorder.
        > <http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/5434/5434684_ra.jpg>
        >
        > The signal level was quite adequate to get a good recording. It is not
        > weak or over modulated it is just perfect. And this recorder has 'double
        > speed' and variable playback speed. So if you are listening to a
        > foreign language you're not too good on you can always slow it down.
        >
        > The nicest thing I like about this recorder is that it is V-O-R. Voice
        > operated Recording. So I can set up the timer on the 803 and when it
        > comes on, as soon as there is signal on the rec out, the recorder turns
        > on and begins to record as long as there is signal. Works quite well to
        > get an off hours reception. It's about $30 in the U.S.
        >
        > It's a pity the RS-232 803/440 control effort was not successful. It
        > would have been nice to be able to control the timer and the frequency
        > to 'program' multiple sessions per day, but still great the way it is.
        > I'm loving my 803. I wonder what's going to happen to it when we get
        > 'the big one' here in California. I sure hope it survives it.
        >
        > Thanks Matt and all for the great group
        >
        > Bests, -Erwin
        >
        > ---
        > Virus Database (VPS): 000738-0, 05/03/2007
        > Tested on: 5/2/2007 8:45:47 PM

      • Erwin
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4 1:05 AM
          Good point. 1st off I have to say my radio is a Sangean-803A. The DIN
          connector pin outs are exactly as they are indicated on the schematic
          in the file section of the group
          <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8Nk6Rp06A4TdhfB95lOL76tVv7-SS29EZxyL223wBlaWNADIUr_2WthCJz_o9JPs6nRgGPzuHu-IgQki10z6/schematic.jpg>
          file schematic.jpg on the lower right hand you can see JK303 REC JACK
          the DIN layout you see there is exactly as you would see it on the side
          of the radio.

          The DIN Pin layout on the female as is on the radio is like this from
          top to bottom :

          <> unused
          <> unused
          <> ground & common to DIN shield > Din notch
          <> Hot Left
          <> Hot Right

          You must a ground and one hot (left or right) to use in a mic input. I
          don't know what would happen if you bundle them together. Perhaps the
          signal would be too strong for a single mic input.

          Now the most interesting thing happened by mistake. I plugged the mic
          plug into the headphone output of the recorder and viola! I got the
          audio coming out of the 803A Amplified by it. With Volume and Tone
          Controls working. I disconnected the Antenna to have a quiet reception
          so the radio itself was not playing anything, and then all the sound
          going into the 803A through the DIN cable was totally clear. I'm not
          sure if you keep doing this you would damage the 803, but if not, this
          would be a great way to feed an MP3 Player into the 803 so long as you
          have level control on the MP3 signal. Of course you would have to direct
          the left and right channel to the proper connector on the DIN side.

          I hope this helps a little to clear out the confusions.

          WS8E wrote:

          > thanks Erwin, If you get a chance, could you post the pin outs for the DIN
          > connector as best you know them? They don't seem to be very well
          > documented.
          >
          > On 5/2/07, Erwin <FENIX1@... <mailto:FENIX1%40aol.com>> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi group,
          > >
          > > I finally got to a Din 5 cable to get the rec out signal from my 803. I
          > > fed it to the external mic input a Sony TCM-200 voice recorder.
          > >
          > <http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/5434/5434684_ra.jpg
          > <http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/5434/5434684_ra.jpg>>
          > >
          > > The signal level was quite adequate to get a good recording. It is not
          > > weak or over modulated it is just perfect. And this recorder has 'double
          > > speed' and variable playback speed. So if you are listening to a
          > > foreign language you're not too good on you can always slow it down.
          > >
          > > The nicest thing I like about this recorder is that it is V-O-R. Voice
          > > operated Recording. So I can set up the timer on the 803 and when it
          > > comes on, as soon as there is signal on the rec out, the recorder turns
          > > on and begins to record as long as there is signal. Works quite well to
          > > get an off hours reception. It's about $30 in the U.S.
          > >
          > > It's a pity the RS-232 803/440 control effort was not successful. It
          > > would have been nice to be able to control the timer and the frequency
          > > to 'program' multiple sessions per day, but still great the way it is.
          > > I'm loving my 803. I wonder what's going to happen to it when we get
          > > 'the big one' here in California. I sure hope it survives it.
          > >
          > > Thanks Matt and all for the great group
          > >
          > > Bests, -Erwin
          > >
          > > ---
          > > avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
          > > Virus Database (VPS): 000738-0, 05/03/2007
          > > Tested on: 5/2/2007 8:45:47 PM
          > > avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2007 ALWIL Software.

          > Virus Database (VPS): 000738-0, 05/03/2007
          > Tested on: 5/3/2007 4:12:24 AM

          ---
          Virus Database (VPS): 000738-1, 05/03/2007
          Tested on: 5/4/2007 1:05:25 AM
        • Erwin
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4 10:04 AM
            correction: the ground DIN pin is not common to the DIN shield. But you
            can make it common to ground on the cable male DIN connector side for
            your convenience as you may need more room to join ground wires.

            Erwin wrote:

> [...]
            > > > to 'program' multiple sessions per day, but still great the way it is.
            > > > I'm loving my 803. I wonder what's going to happen to it when we get
            > > > 'the big one' here in California. I sure hope it survives it.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks Matt and all for the great group
            > > >
            > > > Bests, -Erwin
            > > >
            > > > ---
            > > > avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
            > > > Virus Database (VPS): 000738-0, 05/03/2007
            > > > Tested on: 5/2/2007 8:45:47 PM
            > > > avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2007 ALWIL Software.

            > > avast! Antivirus <http://www.avast.com <http://www.avast.com>>:
            > Inbound message clean.
            > >
            > > Virus Database (VPS): 000738-0, 05/03/2007
            > > Tested on: 5/3/2007 4:12:24 AM
            > > avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2007 ALWIL Software.
            > >

            > ---
            > Virus Database (VPS): 000738-1, 05/03/2007
            > Tested on: 5/4/2007 1:05:25 AM

            > Virus Database (VPS): 000738-1, 05/03/2007

            ---
            Virus Database (VPS): 000738-2, 05/04/2007
            Tested on: 5/4/2007 10:04:09 AM