Does the Back light work for you?

  • ws8e
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 11, 2006
      In order to view the frequency display in a darkened room I have to
      activate the back light and view the display at an odd angle. If I
      look at it straight on I can't really see anything. The contrast is
      very low. I have to look at the display from above or from off to the
      side.

      Is it just my unit or are they all like that? Is there a mod to
      address this?
    • Jerry
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 11, 2006
        Mine seems to be .. That if I look straight on it is dimmer then if I look
        "Down" on it from a slightly higher angle then straight one.. Also it will
        disappear from view if I look "Up on it from a lower angle then straight on.

        May also be weak Batteries _ AA type that is..

        I have found weak AA Batteries causes the display to be more dim.

        Hope this helps. Jerry

        <http://www.netiba.com/?293>

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 11, 2006
          I have the Realistic DX-440 which is the exact same radio and my backlight is fine and easy to see the dial. Try a new bulb.

          Jack B. "gunny" McAlister KE7FMD
          gunny1960@...<mailto:gunny1960@...>
          ke7fmd@...<mailto:ke7fmd@...>
          laneri1945@...<mailto:laneri1945@...>
          WA7034SWL

          God Bless You

          Arizona is a wonderful state with great weather!

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 11, 2006
            Hi WS8E:
            First check the AA batteries and their contacts for oxide, etc.
            Remember, when alkalines hit 1.5 volts - they are empty
            Second, and I'm rack'n my brain b/c I service so many radios, but as I recall, there is a contrast control (for tech's only) inside. Maybe I'm thinking of another radio with an LCD display ... somebody with a service manual handy help me out here ... and WS8E, too.

            Just as a side note, a lot of 803/440 processor lock-ups have been traced to sagging memory batteries. That causes the radio to play possum. It's a little tricky, but the micro can be butt-kicked back into good behavior....if you know how.

            Bob, N1KPR

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 11, 2006
                Generally this is caused by the batteries nearing the end of their
                life. The change in viewing angle is due to the fact that the LCD
                crystals are not effectively aligning to the correct and due to the
                lower supply voltage. There's a whole bunch of theory behind it but
                think of it as venetian blinds. Only when the blind is adjusted to
                the right angle will you see through. Replacing the backlight won't
                help and it's an awfully tough job to do any way. There is no
                contrast control to adjust either. Change the batteries.

                Good luck.

                Lou. At 08:18 12/11/2006, you wrote:
                >In order to view the frequency display in a darkened room I have to
                >activate the back light and view the display at an odd angle. If I
                >look at it straight on I can't really see anything. The contrast is
                >very low. I have to look at the display from above or from off to the
                >side.
                >
                >Is it just my unit or are they all like that? Is there a mod to
                >address this?
              • WS8E
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 12, 2006
                  Thanks Guys -
                  The radio seems to work well otherwise and when viewed at an angle that
                  works, there is plenty of contrast. Accordingly, I would never have thought
                  about a battery issue. Especially since I'm running the radio from the AC
                  Adapter. I thought maybe it was misinstalled. I will try changing the AA's
                  soon.

                  Speaking of batteries, is anyone else having a love hate relationship
                  with the new rechargeable technology? I excitedly bought about a dozen NiMH
                  AA batteries a while ago only to discover, their fully charge voltage
                  is 1.2V! Which means I can't use them in any device that requires
                  only 1 or 2 of
                  them and even 4 battery devices cant use them. AAARrrrrrrg!

                  That's pretty off topic, so, no need to respond..... I just had to vent.

                  73

                  On 11/11/06, Lou Blasco <radio@...> wrote:

                  > Generally this is caused by the batteries nearing the end of their
                  > life. The change in viewing angle is due to the fact that the LCD
                  > crystals are not effectively aligning to the correct and due to the
                  > lower supply voltage. There's a whole bunch of theory behind it but
                  > think of it as venetian blinds. Only when the blind is adjusted to
                  > the right angle will you see through. Replacing the backlight won't
                  > help and it's an awfully tough job to do any way. There is no
                  > contrast control to adjust either. Change the batteries.
                  >
                  > Good luck.
                  >
                  > Lou. At 08:18 12/11/2006, you wrote:
                  > >In order to view the frequency display in a darkened room I have to
                  > >activate the back light and view the display at an odd angle. If I
                  > >look at it straight on I can't really see anything. The contrast is
                  > >very low. I have to look at the display from above or from off to the
                  > >side.
                  > >
                  > >Is it just my unit or are they all like that? Is there a mod to
                  > >address this?

                • Jerry
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 12, 2006
                    Hi,,, I understand your frustration. However most uses for rechargeable
                    batteries can tolerate the lower voltage and operate acceptably.

                    However I would never use rechargeables for this application of AA Batteries
                    in the ATS803A as alkaline will late you a year or so.. But for the Radio..
                    Rechargable D cells even at 1.2V each would work fine.

                    The AA batteries are not affected by the use of D Cells or an AC Adapter for
                    Radio Power..

                    And rechargables are not NEW by any means.. 1.2V NiCDs have been around
                    since the very early 70's maybe before, and Nimh since the 80's.. I would
                    welcome anything in the way of NEW technology. In rechargeable batteries.

                    Jerry

                    <http://www.netiba.com/?293>

                    _____

                    On 11/11/06, Lou Blasco <radio@ozemail. <mailto:radio%40ozemail.com.au>
                    com.au> wrote:

                    > Generally this is caused by the batteries nearing the end of their
                    > life. The change in viewing angle is due to the fact that the LCD
                    > crystals are not effectively aligning to the correct and due to the
                    > lower supply voltage. There's a whole bunch of theory behind it but
                    > think of it as venetian blinds. Only when the blind is adjusted to
                    > the right angle will you see through. Replacing the backlight won't
                    > help and it's an awfully tough job to do any way. There is no
                    > contrast control to adjust either. Change the batteries.
                    >
                    > Good luck.
                    >
                    > Lou. At 08:18 12/11/2006, you wrote:
                    > >In order to view the frequency display in a darkened room I have to
                    > >activate the back light and view the display at an odd angle. If I
                    > >look at it straight on I can't really see anything. The contrast is
                    > >very low. I have to look at the display from above or from off to the
                    > >side.
                    > >
                    > >Is it just my unit or are they all like that? Is there a mod to
                    > >address this?

                  • Jerry
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 12, 2006
                      The lithium Ion Rechargeable batteries are nice.. But they have not yet the
                      standard size batteries due to the fact they are of higher voltage around 3
                      to 3.6 Volts per cell.. But are great when a device is designed around a
                      Lithium Ion Battery Pack.. Like my Ham Radio Handhelds.. and my PDA.GPS
                      etc..

                      So I mistakenly said I would love to see new technology.. Well it exists IO
                      meat I would like to see new technology for the standard AA C D and 9 Volt
                      1.2 to 1.5 Volt Cell's

                      73 jerry

                      <http://www.netiba.com/?293>

                      _____

                      <http://www.netiba <http://www.netiba.com/?293> com/?293>

                      _____

                      From: Sangean803@yahoogro <mailto:Sangean803%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com

                    • alexnordl@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 12, 2006
                        Battery issue: Rechargeable alkaline run at 1.5v if you can find them from
                        RayOVac. Alex

                      • Jerry
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 13, 2006
                          I have tried the rechargeable alkaline. They are not worth the risk or the
                          money..

                          I have found them to require their own specialized charger.. do not last as
                          long per charge and leak. If you try to charge them in a device designed
                          like a portable radio that has a charging circuit in them designed for NiCD
                          or Nimh batteries they will not last long and leak.

                          You are far far better to stick with the NiMH batteries..

                          <http://www.netiba.com/?293>

                          _____

                          Battery issue: Rechargeable alkaline run at 1.5v if you can find them from
                          RayOVac. Alex

                        • marc k
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 13, 2006
                            WS8E <de.ws8e@...> wrote:>Thanks Guys -
                            >The radio seems to work well otherwise and when viewed at an angle >that
                            >works, there is plenty of contrast. Accordingly, I would never have >thought
                            >about a battery issue. Especially since I'm running the radio from the >AC
                            >Adapter. I thought maybe it was misinstalled. I will try changing the >AA's soon.

                            Remember, the AC adapter only substitutes for the "D" batteries-which actually makes sense-remember-
                            1.the "D" cells get most of the wear.
                            2.if you were to unplug the adapter from the wall without unplugging the other end, the CPU would lose power completely.

                            Indeed, one reason for LCD contrast problems IS indeed weak "AA" cells.

                            >Speaking of batteries, is anyone else having a love hate relationship
                            >with the new rechargeable technology? I excitedly bought about a >dozen NiMH
                            >AA batteries a while ago only to discover, their fully charge voltage
                            >is 1.2V! Which means I can't use them in any device that requires
                            >only 1 or 2 of
                            >them and even 4 battery devices cant use them. AAARrrrrrrg!

                            I've not seen ANY device that will not work on NiMh cells-remember the "dead" voltage for normal cells is 1.0 to 1.1 volts, so a steady 1.2 volts works perfectly.
                            The only limitations:
                            1.If a device has a battery level indicator, it will read a bit low(in fact, some devices have a setting in a menu somewhere that lets you select regular/rechargable cells, which compensates for the reduced voltage).

                            2.Any device with a battery level indicator may not adequately warn of low batteries, as NiMh cells drop very quickly compared to normal cells(again, some devices have a menu setting for rechargable cells, which attempts to compensate for the different discharge curve)-some do so better than others.
                            3.some devices may be a bit less powerful:
                            lights may be a bit dimmer
                            audio devices may have a slightly lower maximum volume
                            2-way radios may end up with slightly lower transmitter output

                            Considering that the 1.2 volts is for the whole charge(regular cells drop over time). all things considered, little trouble should result.
                            BTW, you say "new technology"-nothing really new:the older rechargable cells (NiCads) were also about 1.2 volts in use.