New Gizmo for Hams. Stop me if you've heard this one before.

  • zengmeiste@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      OK, so coming back from a performance (loud, but mostly in-tune) of a buddy's
      band I tuned in Art Bell's Coast-to-Coast AM show (barely, WTAM is very tough
      to get on my VW's radio). What should Art be talking about but...a New
      wrinkle in ham communications.

      S'called ESSB. Expanded Single Side-Band.

      Art played recordings of on-air shortwave transmissions he'd made using
      'regular-' and (new, improved) Expanded- SSB modes;
      these were received approx. 1000 miles from his xmtr in Pahrump, NV.

      Even with my Really lousy reception of WTAM, the
      (very audible) difference between 'regular' and 'expanded' (or is that
      'enhanced'?) flavors was humongous. the expanded stuff sounded really good.

      but go listen for yourself, he'll be repeating the demonstration on Sunday's
      show. see 'coasttocoastam.com' for national station info; Art's ham info
      is also available, I believe, and he's bound to be playing with this for a
      while.

      Gee, just what we need. More mods for the 440!

    • toddroberts2001@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2005
        In a message dated 5/1/2005 3:36:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        zengmeiste@... writes:
[...]

        The SSB audio Art was demonstrating was simply wider-bandwidth SSB. He was
        comparing 2.4 KHz wide SSB to 3.6KHz wide SSB. Our 440's are already wider than
        this when receiving SSB with the BFO turned on so no need to modify our radios
        for this. Art had simply widened the transmitted bandwidth. Most ham
        transceivers have pretty narrow filters when transmitting and receiving SSB so they
        will tend to sound very tinny unless you widen them up. 73 Todd WD4NGG