FM DX with your Sangean 803/DX 440

  • broadw
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2005
      Hi guys... First, I'd like to welcome all the new members! We've
      added more than a hundred people this year so far, and we're still
      growing fast. Thanks to all the people who help me moderate here,
      and get these new members approved, and keep the spammers out!

      We all love our 803/440s for their great sound, and performance on MW
      and SW. They have a great FM section too, and if you have an idea of
      when to listen, your radio is capable of some very long distance FM
      reception. My best was probably receiving a college FM station from
      Ft Worth, TX here on in my home in upstate New York!

      One thing that will help you greatly is if you perform the FM filter
      mod that is posted in our Files section here, but your radio will do
      well even without that.

      If you are interested in FM DX, please post to the group, and I'll be
      glad to give more information. FM DX starts in the spring usually,
      and can go right through til autumn.

      Matt
      Owner and Moderator
      Sangean 803
    • robert baker
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2005
        fm is one of my main dx band of choice next the tv
        bands
        --- broadw <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > Hi guys... First, I'd like to welcome all the new
        > members! We've
        > added more than a hundred people this year so far,
        > and we're still
        > growing fast. Thanks to all the people who help me
        > moderate here,
        > and get these new members approved, and keep the
        > spammers out!
        >
        > We all love our 803/440s for their great sound, and
        > performance on MW
        > and SW. They have a great FM section too, and if
        > you have an idea of
        > when to listen, your radio is capable of some very
        > long distance FM
        > reception. My best was probably receiving a college
        > FM station from
        > Ft Worth, TX here on in my home in upstate New York!
        >

        > One thing that will help you greatly is if you
        > perform the FM filter
        > mod that is posted in our Files section here, but
        > your radio will do
        > well even without that.
        >
        > If you are interested in FM DX, please post to the
        > group, and I'll be
        > glad to give more information. FM DX starts in the
        > spring usually,
        > and can go right through til autumn.
        >

        > Matt
        > Owner and Moderator
        > Sangean 803

      • Martin Delfin
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 11, 2005
          You know, I have had some pretty good experiences with a small outboard
          FM antenna dipole and great reception of other FM stations from the
          surrounding islands. I enjoy reggae and Caribbean music, which isn't
          played much on the local stations here in PR. I was surprised what a
          small cheap dipole from Radio Shack or Kmart will do to the DX-440. I
          don't think you would have to modify any filter but then I could be
          wrong... maybe reception would improved greatly.

          Marty Delfin
          San Juan, PR
        • broadw
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 11, 2005
            Hello Martin! Thanks for your post and interest. You mentioned that
            you have had good luck with a small dipoloe antenna with your 803.
            How do you connect your antenna to the radio?

            As for changing the filters, it will help you get more stations.
            There are two key to FM DXing (and any DXing for that matter)...
            selectivity and sensitivity. The 803 is plenty sensitive for FM DX,
            but if you install narrower filters, you will get more stations.
            Here where I live, the FM dial is extremely crowded, and with the
            filters that were factory installed in my 803, I have trouble with
            adjacent stations.

            For example, DXing generally takes place best on frequencies that
            don't have any local stations on them. Here, I don't have a local
            station on 90.9 MHz FM, so I would like DX on that channel. However,
            right next to that open frequency, I have local powerhouse station on
            91.1. So, when I try to tune in my DX freq of 90.9, it actually
            doesn't sound like an 'open' station becaue there is so much adjacent
            channel noise from 91.1. Installing a narrower filter, as described
            in our file section, minimizes this adjacent channal 'splatter.' The
            net result is you have more frequencies to DX!

            Btw, I'm a big fan of Caribbean music too! MW DXing on my 803 is
            what got me into this kind of music, believe it or not!

            Matt
          • Martin Delfin
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 16, 2005
              Hey Matt, It's very simple. Get a large enough alligator clip with a
              screw connection and tighten the u-shape wire ends. Then clip on the
              connector to your antenna (but make sure the radio's antenna is not
              extended). Because I live in a penthouse, I run the dipole on the
              baseboard near the floor. You'd be surprised how many stations I can
              pick up. The other day I was listening to R. Apinti on 97.1 from
              Suriname. Good luck,

              Marty

              --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, broadw <no_reply@y...> wrote:

              > Hello Martin! Thanks for your post and interest. You mentioned
              that
              > you have had good luck with a small dipoloe antenna with your
              803.
              > How do you connect your antenna to the radio?
              >
              > As for changing the filters, it will help you get more stations.
              > There are two key to FM DXing (and any DXing for that matter)...
              > selectivity and sensitivity. The 803 is plenty sensitive for FM
              DX,
              > but if you install narrower filters, you will get more stations.
              > Here where I live, the FM dial is extremely crowded, and with the
              > filters that were factory installed in my 803, I have trouble with
              > adjacent stations.
              >
              > For example, DXing generally takes place best on frequencies that
              > don't have any local stations on them. Here, I don't have a local
              > station on 90.9 MHz FM, so I would like DX on that channel.
              However,
              > right next to that open frequency, I have local powerhouse station
              on
              > 91.1. So, when I try to tune in my DX freq of 90.9, it actually
              > doesn't sound like an 'open' station becaue there is so much
              adjacent
              > channel noise from 91.1. Installing a narrower filter, as
              described
              > in our file section, minimizes this adjacent channal 'splatter.'
              The
              > net result is you have more frequencies to DX!
              >
              > Btw, I'm a big fan of Caribbean music too! MW DXing on my 803 is
              > what got me into this kind of music, believe it or not!
              >

              > Matt
            • Martin Delfin
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2005
                Last month I mentioned how a simple alligator clip connected to the
                plugs on an FM dipole really does the trick. Afterwards, I was
                rereading my old DX-440 manual (I hadn't read it in years) and on
                page 34 it explains how to connect an FM antenna. I'll copy the
                portion here:

                "To use an external antenna equipped with 300-ohm twinlead, connect
                the twinlead's terminals to a 300 to 75 ohm matching transformer,
                (Radio Shack) Cat. No. 15-1253. Then insert the 75 ohm connector to
                the transformer into an F-to-RCA adapter, Cat. No. 278-252. Finally,
                insert the RCA-type plug of the adapter into the RCA antenna jack of
                the receiver. Be sure to move the antenna swtich to EXT."

                I don't know if those catalogue numbers are still valid at radio
                shack. The manual is dated 1987.

                Marty
              • hamx15
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 12, 2006
                  --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Delfin"
                  <caribbeanlistener@...> wrote:
                  >Marty,Yes.....Both of the catalog numbers you mentioned for the Radio
                  Shack Transformer,and adapter are still current.The Shack still
                  carries those two componants and with the original Cat numbers.

                  > Last month I mentioned how a simple alligator clip connected to the
                  > plugs on an FM dipole really does the trick. Afterwards, I was
                  > rereading my old DX-440 manual (I hadn't read it in years) and on
                  > page 34 it explains how to connect an FM antenna. I'll copy the
                  > portion here:
                  >
                  > "To use an external antenna equipped with 300-ohm twinlead, connect
                  > the twinlead's terminals to a 300 to 75 ohm matching transformer,
                  > (Radio Shack) Cat. No. 15-1253. Then insert the 75 ohm connector to
                  > the transformer into an F-to-RCA adapter, Cat. No. 278-252. Finally,
                  > insert the RCA-type plug of the adapter into the RCA antenna jack of
                  > the receiver. Be sure to move the antenna swtich to EXT."
                  >
                  > I don't know if those catalogue numbers are still valid at radio
                  > shack. The manual is dated 1987.
                  >
                  > Marty

                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 14, 2006
                    I'm wondering, is it possible that the whip antenna is still
                    available? Mine has been broke for at least a decade. Picked up the
                    Sangean ATS-803 at a hamfest in 1987. Didn't get a box or books, just
                    the receiver and power supply. But it has been a reliable toy for a
                    long time. It'd be fantastic if I could fix that whip. Don't even
                    remember how it got broke.

                    Steve - W8AN