3819Re: Sangean ATS 803A Help

  • Neil Goldstein
    Aug 22, 2014
      Digging around with Google a bit I found this page:  http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129726&view=previous

      With this post:

      The encoder behind the knob is nothing more than a rotary momentary contact switch set. The case has to be opened if you need to remove the control which has snap-in plastic ears that attach via slots in the case. I bought one of these when new some years ago, but just last year bought another one at a recycle store for 50 cents because it was broken.

      Yes, you guessed it, it had a broken tune knob hanging by its wires two of which were no longer connected. When I picked it up, the control fell off completely. I used a VOM to verify that the control body had actual physical contacts. Had an interesting time trying to figure which contact went to which wire. One of the wires is the common. I was able to make the set go up or down in frequency by simply touching the common to either of the other wires depending upon sequence and speed of contact. I suspect that a little deoxit will go a long way but it cannot be easily applied without popping the control off by way of the little plastic tabs.

      To repair the broken control, I ended up soldering short wire extensions onto the switch contacts, feeding those wires through the center access hole, snapping the control body back on to the case using a bit of glue in place of one of the tabs which was broken off. I spliced the new wires to the original short pieces inside the case. What to do with what was left of the broken rotating knob? I used self-adhesive velcro to attach an appropriate-sized plastic bottle cap over top of the broken knob. Velcro will let me remove it later as needed.

      It looks a bit unusual. The bottle cap is white and not quite the full depth but, hey, the price was right! The DX-440 and its Sangean 803 brothers are excellent receivers.

      Neil Goldstein  W2NDG
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic