Earthquake hits central Italy.....

  • Shirley Sinclaire
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
      Thought everyone might be intereseted since it is in our area....

      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30061140?GT1=43001

      Developing story
      msnbc.com news services
      updated 1 hour, 11 minutes ago

      L'AQUILA, Italy - A powerful earthquake in mountainous central Italy knocked down whole blocks of buildings as residents slept, killing at least 70 people and trapping many more, officials said Monday. Thousands were homeless.

      The earthquake's epicenter was about 70 miles northeast of Rome near the medieval city of L'Aquila. It struck at 3:32 a.m. local time in a quake-prone region that has had at least nine smaller jolts since the beginning of April. The U.S. Geological Survey said Monday's quake was magnitude 6.3, but Italy's National Institute of Geophysics put it at 5.8.

      Civil Protection chief Guido Bertolaso said 70 had been killed, but Italy's La Repubblica newspaper said that rescue workers were reporting 92 deaths.

      Officials said the death toll was likely to rise as rescue crews clawed through the debris of fallen homes.

      L'Aquila Mayor Massimo Cialente said some 100,000 people had left their homes and that many buildings in the city's historic center were damaged. Slabs of walls, twisted steel supports, furniture and wire fences were strewn about the streets and a gray dust carpeted sidewalks, cars and residents.

      Students trapped
      As ambulances screamed through the city, firefighters aided by dogs worked feverishly to reach people trapped in fallen buildings, including a student dormitory where half a dozen university students were believed still inside.

      Outside the half-collapsed dorm, tearful young people huddled together, wrapped in blankets, some still in their slippers after being roused from sleep by the quake.

      "We managed to come down with other students but we had to sneak through a hole in the stairs as the whole floor came down," said student Luigi Alfonsi, 22. "I was in bed — it was like it would never end as I heard pieces of the building collapse around me."

      The town of Castelnuovo also appeared hard hit, with five confirmed dead there.

      Premier Silvio Berlusconi declared a state of emergency, freeing up federal funds to deal with the disaster. He canceled a visit to Russia and planned to go to L'Aquila to deal with the crisis.

      Residents and rescue workers hauled away debris from collapsed buildings by hand.

      Firefighters pulled a woman covered in dust from the debris of her four-story home. Rescue crews demanded quiet as they listened for signs of life from other people believed still trapped inside.

      Main hospital at risk of collapse
      Parts of L'Aquila's main hospital were evacuated because they were at risk of collapse, forcing the wounded to be treated in the open air or taken elsewhere.

      Image: A police officer in front of a damaged building
      Filippo Monteforte / AFP - Getty Images
      A police officer talks on a mobile phone on Monday in front of a damaged building in the center of L'Aquila.

      Bloodied victims waited to be tended to in hospital hallways or outside in the hospital courtyard. Only two operating rooms were working. Civil protection crews were erecting a field hospital to deal with the influx of wounded.

      On the city's dusty streets, as aftershocks continued to rumble through, residents hugged one another, prayed quietly or frantically tried to call relatives. Residents covered in dust pushed carts full of clothes and blankets that they had hastily packed before fleeing their homes.

      "We left as soon as we felt the first tremors," said Antonio D'Ostilio, 22, as he stood on a street in L'Aquila with a huge suitcase piled with clothes he had thrown together. "We woke up all of a sudden and we immediately ran downstairs in our pajamas."

      Housing the homeless
      Agostino Miozzo, an official with the Civil Protection Department, said between 10,000 and 15,000 buildings were damaged. He said stadiums and sporting fields were being readied to house the homeless.

      "This means that the we'll have several thousand people to assist over the next few weeks and months," Miozzo told Sky Italia. "Our goal is to give shelter to all by tonight."

      ANSA said the dome of a church in L'Aquila collapsed, while the city's cathedral also suffered damage.

      The Israeli Embassy in Rome said that officials were trying to make contact with a few Israeli citizens believed to be in the region who had not been in touch with their families. Embassy spokeswoman Rachel Feinmesser did not give an exact number.

      L'Aquila lies in a valley surrounded by the Apennine mountains. It is the regional capital of the Abruzzo region, with about 70,000 inhabitants.

      The last major quake to hit central Italy was a 5.4-magnitude temblor that struck the south-central Molise region on Oct. 31, 2002, killing 28 people, including 27 children who died when their school collapsed.

    • Wilberta DiVincenzo
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
        It is a terrible tragedy.  I hope all our cousins in Italy are safe.

        - Wilberta

          Does any one know if there was any damage in SPA

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
            I've heard from Capracotta where as of now
            no capracottesi are among the dead despite the large
            number of students from many Italian villages
            taking classes in L'Aquila.

            Sent from my iPod

            On Apr 6, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Shirley Sinclaire <ssinclaire@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Cathy Youngblood
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
              It appears that SPA is about 80 miles from L'Aquila. This is about the same distance as from L'Aquila to Roma. I read reports that said the quake was felt in Roma but there was no indication of damage. Hope the same holds true. I also checked to see if the International Red Cross had set up information about how to send relief to the region and nothing yet. Does anyone know of other ways to donate if some of us are able and want to do so?

              Cathy Youngblood
            • Shirley Sinclaire
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
                In another article it seems some of the Roman antiquities were damaged, like the Roman baths... church where Pope Celestine V was crowned in one damaged basilica — in 1294

                http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30070969/

                Ongoing updates here:
                http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30061140/

                Shirley

                To: SanPietroAvellana@yahoogroups.com
                From: azcathyyb@...
                Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 17:50:12 +0000
                Subject: [SanPietroAvellana] Re: Earthquake hits central Italy.....

                It appears that SPA is about 80 miles from L'Aquila. This is about the same distance as from L'Aquila to Roma. I read reports that said the quake was felt in Roma but there was no indication of damage. Hope the same holds true. I also checked to see if the International Red Cross had set up information about how to send relief to the region and nothing yet. Does anyone know of other ways to donate if some of us are able and want to do so?

                Cathy Youngblood

              • Carmen DiGiacomo
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 7, 2009
                  Previous responses from list members indicated no damage in SPA.

                  Carmen-Pittsburgh