1852 SPA Status Animarum

  • Mark DiVecchio
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
      Giuliano gave me a CD with photos of the 1852 San Pietro Avellana
      Status Animarum. This is a census-like document taken by the priests
      in SPA which lists everyone living in SPA.

      I am going to try to build an index for these. Would anyone like to
      help? In the meantime, here is a web page which lists all the photos.
      To use these you will have to just look at each page one at at time.

      Here is the page:

      http://www.silogic.com/genealogy/1852%20San%20Pietro%20Avellana%20Status%20Animarum.html

      Mark
    • Alfonso di Sanza - d'Alena
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
        --- In SanPietroAvellana@yahoogroups.com, "Mark DiVecchio"
        <markd@...> wrote:

        > Giuliano gave me a CD with photos of the 1852 San Pietro Avellana
        > Status Animarum. This is a census-like document taken by the priests
        > in SPA which lists everyone living in SPA.
        >
        > I am going to try to build an index for these. Would anyone like to
        > help? In the meantime, here is a web page which lists all the
        photos.
        > To use these you will have to just look at each page one at at time.
        >
        > Here is the page:
        >
        > http://www.silogic.com/genealogy/1852%20San%20Pietro%20Avellana%
        20Status%20Animarum.html

        > Mark

        Hi Mark, I'll be very happy to help you in this work. Please tell me
        what I can do to help you.

        Alfonso
      • Wilberta DiVincenzo
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 10, 2008
          Hi Mark,  I can help out.  Let me know what format you want and where you want me to start.

          - Wilberta

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 29, 2008
            Hello Mark, Lisa LaBate here, I have a friend at work, looking for SPA
            family by the name of GERVASI, or BENNARDO, from SPA about the time
            of the 1852 SPA Status. Does this name ring a bell? Let me know if
            you have anything. Thanks, Lisa
          • S Sinclaire
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 29, 2008
              Lisa,

              I have gone through the 1852 sheets and so far have not found either names of GERVASI or BENNARDO.  We have one more cogname to transcribe into the datasheets, we will let you know if it shows up.  I have also not been able to find it in the indexes.  Are there other family names connected to these two that we might search for?

              RaffaeleGervasi18971 September 192225S. Pietro, Italy

              I see this one going to his brother Michele in 1922 at 310 Lowell St, Vandergrift, PA (5'7" tall, 25 yrs old, laborer, wife Rosa still in SPA at the time).  He came over with several SPA paese...

              0013. Bruno, GiacomoM23yMItaly, Italian S.S. Pietro, Italy
              0014. Cossa, PasqualeM22ySItaly, Italian S.S. Pietro, Italy
              0015. Morelli, FedericoM23ySItaly, Italian S.S. Pietro, Italy
              0016. Caruso, MichleM23ySItaly, Italian S.Celico, Italy
              0017. Buscieri, FrancescoM22ySItaly, Italian S.S. Pietro, Italy
              0018. Gervasi, RaffaeleM25yMItaly, Italian S.S. Pietro, Italy

              Is this one of them you are searching for?  If so, the 1897 records are missing from the indexes (my grandfather was born the same year and no records, destroyed in WWII by the Germans).

              In trying to find other information on Michele (possible Antonio), etc. they may have been born elsewhere, and Raffaele married Rosa Morelli from SPA. (they both came over in June 8, 1938 (both age 42) with daughter(?) Carmela (age 17 marked as housewife).  Raffaele was a US citizen as of April 3, 1928.  Looks like Raffaele went over and brought them back, they have passport numbers listed also issued in Naples on May 27, 1938.

              1930 census for Vanderbilt (which you probably have - 503 Linden St) says Michele lives with the Bennardo, Pasquale family (Faustina wife; August, Joseph, Rocco and Carmela, children).  Luigina Gervasi is Pasquale's daughter and lives at same house with her children (Pasquale's grandchildren - Carmela, Amelia and Frank) and Michele (b: abt 1891) is Pasquale's son-in-law (married to Luigina).

              From what I am gathering from the information in these notes and others I am finding, the family is not originally from SPA.  Raffele married Rosa in SPa and emigrated from there with others from the town.

              It is interesting that I also found a Colaianni family living 513 Linden St.  I will check this one out myself...(my family name)  LOL

              If I find anything else out, I will let you know.

              Sorry if you have all this information already, but it looks like only the children (Carmela and others after 1900s?) were born in SPA.

              Shirley

              To: SanPietroAvellana@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 29, 2008
                Lisa,

                I have never heard of either of those two names as good SPA
                surnames. Although it is possible that those famlies had just
                a very short stay in SPA, I would ask her more closely about
                the information and how she made the SPA connection.

                A quick search on Ellis Island shows people with those family
                names from San Pietro in Guarano, Cosenza, Calabria.

                This is probably where her family is from.

                ciao.
                Mark

                To: SanPietroAvellana@yahoogroups.com
                From: "mona5lisa2001" <mona5lisa2001@...>
                Sender: SanPietroAvellana@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:30:12 -0000
                Reply to: SanPietroAvellana@yahoogroups.com

                > Hello Mark, Lisa LaBate here, I have a friend at work, looking for SPA
                > family by the name of GERVASI, or BENNARDO, from SPA about the time
                > of the 1852 SPA Status. Does this name ring a bell? Let me know if
                > you have anything. Thanks, Lisa

                Mark DiVecchio K3FWT
                markd@... http://www.silogic.com
                My Genealogy Web Site : http://www.silogic.com/genealogy/genealogy.html