Re: Death of Mary Santucci Ludi

  • Mark DiVecchio
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2013
      Cindy had sent me this email in Jul of 2009:

      So many Italian men died in the Dawson mine explosions. My mother-in-law (Annina "Anita" Capone) remembers that when the Number One mine exploded on February 8, 1923, she and the other children in her class thought they were hearing dynamite. Her father, Urbino, was one of the lucky few miners who went into Number One that morning but, due to injuries, left before the explosion. Had he died that day, Anita and her three sisters would have been orphans, as their mother had died tragically around 1916 when a coal car struck her. She was holding the youngest girl, a baby, but managed to throw her to safety."

      The four sisters were Giovanna "Jennie" who married Michele "Mike" Gatti, Annina "Anita" who married Marco Milazzo, Michelina "Margaret", and Mary.

      A web search shows that Mary endowed a scholarship at New Mexico Highlands University in her name:
      http://www.nmhu.edu/FinancialAid/scholarships_endowed.aspx

      Here is her listing in the Teachers Hall of Fame:
      http://nea-nm.org/Awards/HallofFame/HallofHallPlack.pdf
    • Gene Cinea
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 2013

        Another part of this story is that Urbino had to give up the four girls to an orphanage.  Sometime later, Urbino’s deceased wife, Angiola “Angela” came to him in a dream and told him to go get the girls and bring them home.  He did this, but Mary had already been adopted by the Santucci’s.  So, Urbino brought the remaining three girls home and raised them with the help of the eldest girl, Giovanna.

        With the passing of Mary, all four girls have now passed.  Rest in peace, Cousins.

        Gene

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2013
          Just curious, does this Capone line have any relation to Bernarda Capone b.1871.  She's my G-grandmother

          Tina Rossi

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2013
            According to my family tree data base program:

            Berardina Capone and Urbino Domenicantonio Capone are
            1st cousins 1 time removed. Their common ancestors
            are Urbino Capone and Veneranda Carlino.

            --
            Mark DiVecchio K3FWT
            markd@... http://www.silogic.com Rainbow, CA 92028