Re: [SanPietroAvellana] Colaianni/Gatti contact

  • Wilberta DiVincenzo
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 20, 2012
      Rayna,

      Dorantina would have called Liberata  - Aunt or Zia.

      Libbie is your second cousin - technically, 'second cousin, once removed' - because she is second cousin to your Mother and you were born one generation later.  Louis was your 'first cousin, twice removed' because he was a first cousin to your Grandmother and you were born two generations later.

      It is confusing, but is easier if you look at it this way:

      Liberata Gatti-----sisters-----Maria Gatti

      Louis Colianni-----1st cousins-----Dorantina Rossi

      Libbie Colaianni-----2nd cousins-----Viola Colaianni

      Hope this helps.

      - Wilberta

      snip
      But, neither Libbie nor I know what to call the relationship between my grandmother Dorantina, as Maria Gatti's daughter, to Liberata, my great-uncle's daughter, let alone the term for my relationship to Libbie and her brother Louis. No wonder my family in Italy just refers to people as cugini, nipoti(e) and zia(o)! Anyone?

      Thanks,
      Rayna Valentine