Colaianni/Gatti contact

  • RaynaV
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2012
      A year or more ago I posted some photos of Liberata Colaianni and her family. A few days ago, her daughter Libbie Cunningham contacted me and compared her family research to what I know about my Grandmother's family and have cleared up some confusion on my part about the relationship between Liberata (married to Domenico Colaianni, born May 1851 , son of Emilia? Ditella and Benedetto Colaianni)and my grandmother Dorantina Rossi (f. Daniele Croce Rossi m. Maria Loreta Amalia Gatti).

      Liberata's mother was Pacifica Frazzini and her father was Amico Antonio Gatti. AA Gatti was my GGM Maria Gatti's sister. Therefore, Liberata was my great-gandmother's niece. But, neither Libbie nor I know what to call the relationship between my grandmother Dorantina, as Maria Gatti's daughter, to Liberata, my great-uncle's daughter, let alone the term for my relationship to Libbie and her brother Louis. No wonder my family in Italy just refers to people as cugini, nipoti(e) and zia(o)! Anyone?

      Thanks,
      Rayna Valentine
    • Arthur Cola
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 19, 2012
        Rayna:
        My grandmother was Libbie Colaianni wife of Arthur Colaianni both from SPA. Libbie was a Frazzini too, so I was wondering how all of them are related to this branch as well.
        Arthur had a sister: Vincenza, who married a Settefrati in SPA and never left there. Arthur and his brothers: Earl, Anselmo and Daniel left SPA for the USA. Earl and Anselmo settled in Beaver Falls PA and Arthur and Daniel in Chicago. I know all of Earl's kids, my cousins. Anselmo retired back to SPA and had one daughter. Daniel's grandsons I know in Chicago and of course I know the Settefrati cousins who came from SPA to CHicago in the 1950's.

        I do get confused with the Colaianni family tree and now my grandson is doing a family tree for school and I want it to be accurate.

        Arthur Ron Colaianni

        Become part of a Tour of Ireland, Britain or Italy which are based on his books. Contact: kari@...
         .
        To view the Book Trailer for the novel: The Stone Cutter Genius, go to the following link online: http://www.americanbookpublishingblog.com/promote-your-book-at-ethnic-festivals

        Books by Arthur Cola:
        Children's Book:
        - Papa and the Gingerbread Man,an Adventure in Americas Oldest City.
        (www.amazon.com/arthurcola)
        Novels:
        - Papa and the Leprechaun King, the Secret Legend of the Shamrock.
        - The Shamrock Crown and the Legend of Excalibur.
        - The Stone Cutter Genius (An epic Historical Fiction for 2011)

        Book Ordering site:

        http://www.pdbookstore.com/comfiles/pages/ArthurCola.shtml

        http://www.amazon.com/arthurcola

        Arthur Cola
        425 Robins Run
        Burlington,WI 53105 USA

        Phone: 262-308-0743
        mailto: arthurcola@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 20, 2012
          Rayna,

          Dorantina would have called Liberata  - Aunt or Zia.

          Libbie is your second cousin - technically, 'second cousin, once removed' - because she is second cousin to your Mother and you were born one generation later.  Louis was your 'first cousin, twice removed' because he was a first cousin to your Grandmother and you were born two generations later.

          It is confusing, but is easier if you look at it this way:

          Liberata Gatti-----sisters-----Maria Gatti

          Louis Colianni-----1st cousins-----Dorantina Rossi

          Libbie Colaianni-----2nd cousins-----Viola Colaianni

          Hope this helps.