1211Watch Mystery Uncovered in Italian Alps

  • Bob Ricci
    Jan 19, 2014

      On Sunday, January 19, 2014 10:27 AM, Bob Ricci <rikae10@...> wrote:

      Mark,

      Done at your request.  As you know, I generally do not post to the group until I run things by you & Shirley.  In initial research of "The White War" by Mark Thompson, I was blown away by the fact that 750,000 Italians died in WWI.... and that does not include the Italian Americans that had already immigrated to the US & served in the American military who died.

      ciao

      On Saturday, January 18, 2014 1:43 PM, Mark DiVecchio <markd@...> wrote:
      Bob,

      Go ahead and send this to the SPA group. I think it would be
      of general interest.

      We always hear about the trench warfare in France during WWI
      but don't hear much about what happened in northern Italy.

      ciao,
      Mark

      Date:    Sat, 18 Jan 2014 07:38:56 -0800 (PST)
      Subject:    Watch Mystery Uncovered in Italian Alps

      Mark & Shirley,

      You may have known about this but thought I would pass it along just in case.  Very brief video but quite interesting.  It lends insight into why so many Italian soldiers perished.  Based upon the links that Shirley recently shared, throughout all of Italy there were in excess of 1100 Riccis and 167 Riccios who either died in combat, were lost in combat or died from illness(a lot to the plague).

      There is mention of a book recently published which I hope to purchase & read.

      Best regards,
      Bob

      Mystery Uncovered in Italian Alps
      Video:
      Melting Glaciers are revealing the horrors of World War 1. As we approach The Great War's 100th anniversary, Matt Sampson shows us how forgotten soldiers are being remembered at last.
      http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid2940087979001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAAQxtuk~,N9g8AOtC12dOqSvtWItJeCHBkSpEYgyB&bclid=0&bctid=2773003364001