gross red algae

  • amandaschlicher
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2002
      hey there guys... i just started my first saltwater aquarium, and i
      seeded my tank with crushed coral from the petstore where i work.....
      unfortunately, i also inadvertently seeded it with a very gross,
      slimy, and extremely fast growing (read: overnight) red algae... this
      stuff coats the crushed coral and the rocks in my tank every
      morning... is there anything i can do about it? all i have in my 75
      gal tank right now is 2 domino damsels, no live rock or anything...
    • saltyfishboy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2002
        How is the current in the tank? Are there any places where the water
        is stagnent? Red slime algae prefers those areas. If you don't have
        any powerheads I would get some to keep the water moving. If you do
        have them, try re-positioning them to increase water movement.

        Here is more info about red algae:

        This algae is slime-like. As with most algae it is undesirable and
        can be easily removed from your tank. Growth is promoted by incorrect
        light spectrum or too much light. This type of algae prefers areas
        with low or no water flow. To remove red algae you can increase water
        flow to the area, reduce lighting, and reduce silicates and
        phosphates.