Protein Skimmers???

  • gallid99212
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2006
      Hi all. I am expanding my saltwater system from 3 separate tanks to
      one large system with a sump. (all three tanks trading water through
      the sump) I currently have hang-on protein skimmers on the 2 tanks
      that are being used, the other is currently empty. 2 30gal & a 20gal.
      I'm turning the 20 into a refugium.

      I have had nothing but problems with the hang-ons. They produce little
      to no foam.

      I am looking for a good protein skimmer for approx 90 gallons of water.

      I was looking at the Seaclone Protein Skimmer 100, from Instant Ocean

      Any recommendations as to which one I should buy? HELP!!

      --Dave

      Philadelphia
    • Matt Sturtz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2006
        Hi Dave--

        > Hi all. I am expanding my saltwater system from 3 separate tanks to
        > one large system with a sump. (all three tanks trading water through
        > the sump) I currently have hang-on protein skimmers on the 2 tanks
        > that are being used, the other is currently empty. 2 30gal & a 20gal.
        > I'm turning the 20 into a refugium.

        My LFS here in Broomfield Colorado doesn't believe in protein skimmers --
        they believe the bottom feeders (snails, crabs, anemones, etc) feed on the
        stuff removed by the skimmer. When I started getting more of this type of
        critter, they suggested elminating the skimmer. If you only have fish,
        perhapps it's still best to run it. When I first got started, I ran a
        Seaclone 150 and a Fluval 404, and didn't have any problems, and now I run
        only a wet-dry with bio-balls, and still don't have any problems (75G
        tank)... Maybe I was just lucky... (incidently, the Seaclone 150 and the
        Fluval 404 are now surplus to my needs, so if anybody needs one or both of
        these, contact me off list).

        Also for what it's worth, depending on what you're doing, it might be
        better to seperate the two display tanks as two independant systems.
        There are several reasons I suggest this, but the best one is to contain
        any type of infection to only one tank or the other. Others might have
        the other opinion, that the larger system will buffer any potential
        problem, and there's certainly something to that argument...

        > I have had nothing but problems with the hang-ons. They produce little
        > to no foam.
        > I am looking for a good protein skimmer for approx 90 gallons of water.
        > I was looking at the Seaclone Protein Skimmer 100, from Instant Ocean

        I am one who believes as much equipment as possible should be removed to
        the sump / wet-dry, so as to be out of sight. I want to see the critters,
        not the equipment. I would go with something in the sump.

        The Seaclone certainly did a good job for me (IE produced a lot of foam
        once the tank got going -- if there's nothing to skim, it won't produce
        any foam), once it was adjusted correctly (this is important, it required
        tweaking from time to time). The only problem it had was the fittings
        between the J-tube and the bottom of the chamber. In an effort to make
        these fittings "easy", they seem to have made them unreliable. In a sump,
        this wouldn't be a problem (no tube, pump sits directly on bottom of the
        chamber), and in fact as a hang-on, this is the only fitting that makes
        any difference (other fitting inside the tank).

        There are certainly other skimmers out there... I went with the Seaclone
        150 because it was inexpensive, and simple.

        -Matt-