A Tremendous Fundamental Principle That Separates Ahlus-Sunnah from every other Sect, by Shaikh 'Abdullaah al-Jarboo (hafidhahullaah)

  • Maher Attiyeh
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2011
      Bismillaah Al-Hamdulillaah wa salatu wa salaamu 'ala rasulullaah
      Amma-ba'd

      The Messenger of Allaah (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: I am leaving you two things and you will never go astray as long as you cling to them - they are the Book of Allaah and my Sunnah. [Reported by Al-Haakim, authenticated by al-Albanee]

      A Tremendous Fundamental Principle That Separates Ahlus-Sunnah from every other Sect, by Shaikh 'Abdullaah al-Jarboo (hafidhahullaah), an excerpt from his series of lessons under the topic "Introductory Matters of Tawheed"

      We have discussed that guidance and knowledge must be taken from Qur`an and Sunnah (revelation from Allaah), and it is the only way to achieve knowledge of the Deen of Allaah. This is a principle that all of Ahlus-Sunnah are upon, and it is that which is known from the Deen - as they say - by necessity.

      What this means is that no one is allowed to deny this or reject this, or refute it. He who comes and says, "I can learn Islaam from other than Qur`an and Sunnah," or "I can learn and get guidance from other than Qur`an and Sunnah; I can get it from my 'aql (intellect)," or some other shape, fashion or form, then this person has committed kufr, exiting from Islaam. This statement is kufr, unless there is something that prevents the matter of kufr from being attached to him.

      So therefore, Ahlus-Sunnah say, and have always said, the knowledge of the Deen of Allaah is acquired from Qur`an and from Sunnah.

      This issue of understanding this fundamental principle that the sources of knowledge about Allaah and the Deen of Allaah, and everything to do with Islaam comes from the Qur`an and the Sunnah. This is something that the (true) scholars of Islaam - all of them - have striven to make sure it was understood by their students, and make sure it was confirmed in their books, and make sure that people recognized (and abided by and honored) this principle, and gave legitimacy in their hearts to this principle.

      The likes of Nu'man bin Thabit Abu Hanifa, Imam Malik ibn Anas, Imam Ash-Shafi'ee, and Ahmad ibn Hanbal, and Muhammad ibn Isma'eel al-Bukharee and Imam Muslim, all of them made sure they stressed this foundation in their books, gave recognition to it, and gave it its just due - that the sources of knowledge, Deen, belief ('aqeedah), practices of Islaam, and the sharee'ah is Qur`an and Sunnah.

      And also the Imams of this time and before them, such as Ahmad ibnu Taymeeyah, Ibnul Qayyim, Ibn Hajar, Ibn Katheer, Imam An-Nawawee - all of them (rahimahumullaah) - were upon this principle and showed that this principle was a fundamental and most important principle. And likewise, the Imams of our times did likewise, such as Muhammad ibn 'Abdul-Wahhab, Muhammad Ibraheem Aali Shaikh, Muhammad al-Ameen Ash-Shankeeti, and Shaikh Ibn Baaz, Shaikh al-'Uthaimeen, and Shaikh al-Albanee - all of them - raised their students upon this principle, taught this principle. And this principle was known until it became the main separation and difference between Ahlus-Sunnah and Ahlul-Bid'ah.

      The sources for knowledge and evidence for the Deen, with Ahlus-Sunnah, is Qur`an and Sunnah, whereas Ahlul-Bid'ah is in opposition to that.

      These names (scholars) we have mentioned are just examples, but in reality there are many, many names, many Imams and great scholars from different times and places who were upon this principle, and calling to this principle, and confirming this principle.

      So if we understand this principle, then we have two important questions:

      First Question: Did the Messenger of Allaah (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) convey the entire Deen, and what were the methods that he used to convey this Deen?

      Second Question: That which the Messenger (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) conveyed, is it preserved til today, or is it lost?

      First Answer: Yes, the Messenger (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) conveyed the entire religion. Allaah said:

      الْيَوْمَ أَكْمَلْتُ لَكُمْ دِينَكُمْ وَأَتْمَمْتُ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعْمَتِي وَرَضِيتُ لَكُمُ الإِسْلاَمَ دِينا

      ...This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your religion... (Al-Ma`idah, ayah 3)

      This shows that the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) perfectly explained and conveyed all the matters of Deen:

      - The six articles of Eeman, which is belief in Allaah, His angels, His books, His messengers, the Last Day, and the Qadr - the good of it and the bad of it.

      - The five pillars of Islaam, which is the Shahadatain - testifying there is none worthy of worship except Allaah alone, and that Muhammad (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) is the slave and Messenger of Allaah - the establishment of the Salat, paying the Zakah, fasting Ramadaan, and making Hajj to the house (ka'bah)

      - All the branches of Eeman

      - And all the commands and prohibitions of Allaah

      Regarding the methods that the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) used to convey, they are three:

      1: Tablighul Alfal - he (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) conveyed the actual words of Allaah, meaning he relayed the Qur`an to them, he (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) recited it to them, and they heard it and memorized it. And he conveyed to them the Sunnah, they heard it and memorized it. This is the first method.

      2: Tablighul Ma'aani - he (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) conveyed the meaning intended by Allaah, meaning he conveyed what the verses of Allaah meant, and he conveyed what the ahadeeth meant, such that there was no ambiguity - nothing was unclear. So he conveyed the intended meaning of Allaah's revelation and all the matters dealing with Eeman.

      And the proof for these two methods is the verse we recited earlier:

      هُوَ الَّذِي بَعَثَ فِي الأُمِّيِّينَ رَسُولا ً مِنْهُمْ يَتْلُو عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتِه ِ وَيُزَكِّيهِمْ وَيُعَلِّمُهُمُ الْكِتَابَ وَالْحِكْمَةَ وَإِنْ كَانُوا مِنْ قَبْلُ لَفِي ضَلاَل ٍ مُبِين

      He it is Who sent among the unlettered ones a Messenger (Muhammad) from among themselves, reciting to them His Verses, purifying them (from the filth of disbelief and polytheism), and teaching them the Book (this Qur`an, Islaamic laws and Islaamic jurisprudence) and Al-Hikmah (As-Sunnah: legal ways, orders, acts of worship, etc. of Prophet Muhammad). And verily, they had been before in mainfest error. (Al-Jumu'ah, ayah 2)

      Reciting to them His Verses ------> is a proof of tablighul alfal, meaning he (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) conveyed the wording, and they memorized it.

      Teaching them the Book and Al-Hikmah ------> is a proof of tablighul ma'aani, teaching them the meaning of what he has conveyed of the verses of the Qur`an and (the ahadeeth of) the Sunnah.

      3: Tablighul 'Amali - Conveyance of the message through action. The Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) himself exemplified the practices of Islaam, physically in front of them, while they watched. He prayed with them, fasted with them, made Hajj with them, made Jihaad with them, made all the matters of 'ibaadat (worship) with them, and his wives witnessed his praying at night (tahajjud), and even the private matters with his family have been relayed and recorded.

      He was a physical example, and from the proofs of this method is:

      Allaah's statement:

      لَقَدْ كَانَ لَكُمْ فِي رَسُولِ اللَّهِ أُسْوَةٌ حَسَنَة ٌ لِمَنْ كَانَ يَرْجُو اللَّهَ وَالْيَوْمَ الآخِرَ وَذَكَرَ اللَّهَ كَثِيرا

      Indeed in the Messenger of Allaah (Muhammad) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes in (the Meeting with) Allaah and the Last Day, and remembers Allaah much. (Al-Ahzab, ayah 21)

      And the Prophet's statements:

      Kudhoo 'annee manasikukum  (Take from me your Hajj rituals)

      Saloo kama ra`aytamooni usalee (Pray as you have seen me pray)

      The Salaf-us-Saalih have used all of these verses and narrations to show this great principle of taking the acts of worship through the Prophet's physical example.

      And we benefit two great results from what has been relayed regarding the three methods of conveyance of the knowledge of the Deen:

      Firstly, all the Islaamic science and knowledge is clear and precise. This is why the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) stated: I have left you upon whiteness (clarity), its night is like its day. None goes astray from it, except that he is destroyed.

      Secondly, a society in al-Madeenah acted upon and carried out every matter of Islaam - in its dealings, transactions, the rights of others, its belief, acts of worship, in every aspect - and became a living example. Jeel as-Sahaabah (The generation of the companions) became a living example of the actual implementation of Islaam. So this Islaam, which was practiced and implemented during the generation of the companions of the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam), does it still exist. Does this Islaam still exist, or is it cut off [has it disappeared]?

      We can ask this question in another way: this understanding and implementation that the sahaaba had, is it preserved, or is it lost? In other words, can we - us, today - understand this Deen the way the sahaaba understood this Deen?

      Second Answer: This correct understanding of Islaam, which the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) conveyed to his companions, is in fact preserved til today, and there are those who know it and teach it and practice it. It is preserved by three means, which we will mention.

      Allaah, Subhanahu wa Ta'aala, said:

      إِنَّا نَحْنُ نَزَّلْنَا الذِّكْرَ وَإِنَّا لَه ُُ لَحَافِظُونَ

      Verily We: It is We Who have sent down the Dhikr and surely, We will guard it (from corruption). (Al-Hijr, ayah 9)

      And Allaah, Subhanahu wa Ta'aala, said:

      وَإِنَّه ُُ لَكِتَابٌ عَزِيزلاَ يَأْتِيهِ الْبَاطِلُ مِنْ بَيْنِ يَدَيْهِ وَلاَ مِنْ خَلْفِه ِِ تَنزِيل ٌ مِنْ حَكِيمٍ حَمِيد

      And verily, it is an honourable respected Book (because it is Allaah's Speech, and He has protected it from corruption, etc.). Falsehood cannot come to it from before it or behind it. (It is) sent down by the All-Wise, Worthy of all praise (Allaah). (Fussilat, ayah 41-42)

      So it's not possible for someone to enter falsehood into the Noble Qur`an and the purified Sunnah.

      The wisdom and reason for Allaah preserving this Deen is that Islaam is the seal of all Deens (legislations), and Muhammad (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) is the seal of all Prophets, there being no Prophet after him (and the Qur`an is the seal of all books), so Allaah preserved this Deen and preserved the correct understanding so that the proof is established, such that whoever seeks the true Deen, it is preserved for him.

      And before we mention the three means by which Allaah preserved His Deen, I want to mention one of the greatest miracles of the Qur`an: you'll find a man who has memorized the Qur`an and he is in the West, and another who has memorized the Qur`an in the East, and all those who have memorized the Qur`an from their teachers with a chain all the way to the Prophet (who heard it from Jibreel, who heard it from Allaah). And you can find someone in Egypt, someone in this country (Sa'udia) or that country, and if we gathered them together, and one of them recited and then made an error, he would be corrected. So this is one of the greatest miracles for a book to be memorized, and is in the chests of individuals all around the world, and is preserved. And no one can make an addition or delete anything. This is one of the greatest miracles that shows the greatness of this Qur`an, and that it has been preserved.

      The three means by which Allaah has preserved the knowledge of His Deen are:

      1- The preservation of the wording of the Wahy, revelation. The verses of the Qur`an have been preserved and memorized. The narrations of the Sunnah have been preserved and memorized. The proof:

      Allaah's statement:

      إِنَّا نَحْنُ نَزَّلْنَا الذِّكْرَ وَإِنَّا لَه ُُ لَحَافِظُونَ

      Verily We: It is We Who have sent down the Dhikr and surely, We will guard it (from corruption). (Al-Hijr, ayah 9)

      2- The preservation of the intended meaning of the verses and narrations. The tabi'een recorded the statements and meanings from the companions regarding all that the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) conveyed, and relayed them until such time that they were put into books such as the Saheeh of Imam al-Bukharee, Saheeh Muslim, Musnad of Imam Ahmad, Muwatta of Imam Malik, and all those books in which is gathered all that the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) conveyed and explained of the Qur`an and Sunnah and their meanings. These Imams guarded this more so than they guarded their wealth, and all this was conveyed with a sound chain of transmission.

      3- The preservation (Hifdh) of actions and knowledge together. And this was done by way of those who came after the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam), and it is done in every time. [By the mercy of Allaah,] there will always be people who have knowledge of the Deen of Allaah, knowledge of the Qur`an and Sunnah, and practice it and teach it to others. And the Prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) clearly foretold this when he said:

      There will never cease to be a group from my Ummah upon the truth, uppermost. They will not be harmed by those who desert them or those who oppose them, until the affair of Allaah - the Blessed and Exalted - arrives, and they are in this state.

      At-Taa`ifatul Mansoorah (The Aided Group) -----> This group [referred to in the hadeeth] will always exist, a physical embodiment of acting upon the Qur`an and Sunnah (with their intended understanding) as an example for the people to see. They [this Aided Group] are the witnesses of Allaah, Tabarak wa Ta'aala (Blessed and Exalted), upon the people. They are saying to the people by their actions and knowledge: "Look, here is the Islaam that Muhammad (salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) and his companions were upon."

      It can be believed correctly, understood correctly, and implemented and acted upon correctly, and we are witnesses upon that by our very actions.

      So this, my brothers, is the great principle: all knowledge and all understanding of the Deen must come from Qur`an and Sunnah. Its only source is Qur`an and Sunnah. This is the great fundamental principle that must be understood.

      And this is why Imam al-Bukharee (rahimahullaah) began his monumental Saheeh with the chapter "The Beginning of Revelation" to show that the source of Eeman and knowledge and all of the matters of Islaam in his Saheeh is al-Wahyu (the Revelation). If this great principle is understood and implemented, then the person's knowledge and understanding and eeman ('aqeedah) will be correct. If it is not, then this person's Deen will not be correct, and he'll be upon falsehood.

      Another fact that a person should understand is that if a person sticks to this great principle - they restrict their knowledge of the Deen and practice of the Deen to Qur`an and Sunnah (revelation) - then he'll be from Ahlus-Sunnah, those who follow the Salaf-us-Saalih (the Prophet, salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, and his companions), and thus they'll be differing with every innovator and every deviant on the face of the earth. This should be understood.

      And I would like to show that every deviant sect and every Innovator went astray because of their opposition to this great principle...

      Translated by: Abu Uwais (rahimahullaah)

      Source: Tape Introductory Matters of Tawheed, Part 1, by Shaikh 'Abdullaah al-Jarboo (hafidhahullaah)

      - Allaah, The Most High, said (what means):  And I (Allaah) created not the jinns and humans except they should worship Me (Alone). (Adh-Dhariyat, ayah 56)
      - Allaah, The Most High, said (what means): And whoever contradicts and opposes the Messenger (Muhammad, (salallaahu 'alaihi wasallam)) after the right path has been shown clearly to him, and follows other than the believers' way. We shall keep him in the path he has chosen, and burn him in Hell - what an evil destination. (An-Nisa, ayah 115)
      - The Prophet (salallaahu 'alaihiwasallam) said, "Hold firmly to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the Rightly-Guided Caliphs after me. Hold o­nto it with your molar teeth. And beware of newly invented affairs, since every newly invented affair is an innovation, and every innovation is misguidance and every innovation is in the Fire." [Ahmad (4/126), at-Tirmidhee (no. 2676), al-Haakim (1/96) and by al-Baghawee in Sharhus-Sunnah (1/105)]
      - Prophet Muhammad (salallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) told his daughter Fatimah: "...I am a blessed Salaf for you." (Bukhari, Muslim)
      - "Adhere to the narrations of the Salaf (the Prophet and Sahaaba), even if the people were to abandon you. And beware of the opinions of people, no matter how much they beautify it with speech." - Imaam al-Awzaa'ee [d. 157H, rahimahullaah]
      - Abu Hanifah [d.150H, rahimahullaah] said: "Stick to the narrations and the way of the Salaf (Predecessors), and beware of newly invented matters, for all of it is innovation." [as-Suyooti]
      - Abdullaah bin 'Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) said: "Every bid'ah(religious innovation) is misguidance, even if people think it is good." [Al-Lalikaii in Sharh Usul Itiqad Ahl Al-Sunnah wa Al-Jama'ah Vol 1. P134, no.111]

      - Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) said, "I have left you upon clear proof, its night is like its day. No one deviates from it except one who is destroyed, and whoever lives (long) from amongst you will see great controversy. So stick to what you know from my Sunnah (example) and the Sunnah of the orthodox, rightly-guided caliphs. Cling to that with your molar teeth, and stick to obedience even if it is to an Abyssinian slave, since the believer is like the submissive camel - wherever he is led, he follows." [Ahmad]

      - Ahmed ibn Hanbal [d.241H, rahimahullaah] said: "The Fundamental Principles of the Sunnah with us are: Holding fast to what the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) were upon. And taking them (and their way) as a model to be followed. And the abandonment of (religious) innovations, and every innovation is misguidance." [Usool as-Sunnah]

      - Every issue of aqeedah (creed), 'ibaadah (worship) or manhaj (methodology) which the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah has not provided a text for and upon which the Companions never agreed upon is falsehood, vain and innovated.