Re: [Sailor_Uranus] Re: bravo! (re: ongoing debate (OT sorta o.O))

  • Naia Zifu
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2002
      *shrugs* Well, I would've thought she'd mature more, too, but the anime
      consistently delivers evidence to the contrary. It's hard to think about her
      getting married, having a family, or being a good queen if she still acts
      like that, though. Is she just a figurehead, and Mamoru makes a lot of the
      important family and ruling decisions, or does she have two sides to her
      personality; the little girl she never quite grew out of, and the more mature
      queen able to make important decisions? I don't know which possibility
      sounds more disturbing.

      --
      Naia Zifu (naia_zifu@...)
      ICQ: #22365735 / AIM: Naia Zifu, Chibi Taiki Kou

      Mooniecode(1.14.15a)
      SM:7- F:sUr>+++Ta>+++Me>++½:vIrToFiMiKuPf:aUmLuPr:pS+St+
      D:sJu:vAyBa-:aRy>--- O:d--c--:s--:a-½:h+½:x--
      P:a++:s-:w+:f-:eGrBLcg:hBr [++]:t--:cWh:bA:zAq+:gf-:r+|+

    • charles_parkerh
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 2, 2002
        --- In Sailor_Uranus@y..., Naia Zifu <tenou_haruka3@y...> wrote:
        > *shrugs* Well, I would've thought she'd mature more, too, but
        the anime consistently delivers evidence to the contrary. It's hard
        to think about her getting married, having a family, or being a good
        queen if she still acts like that, though. Is she just a figurehead,
        and Mamoru makes a lot of the important family and ruling decisions,
        or does she have two sides to her personality; the little girl she
        never quite grew out of, and the more mature queen able to make
        important decisions? I don't know which possibility sounds more
        disturbing.

        It's hard to tell since we really don't see a lot of Neo Queen
        Serenity. We see her briefly, most noticeably for Chibi-moon's orgin
        but other then that, she's off screen. She does seem to retain some
        of her schoolgirlish qualities at times. Conversely she also seems so
        elegant and regal that it's hard to believe she was once Serena. My
        guess is that she's matured a great deal but still is prone to
        periods of silliness.

        As far as the actual ruling process, I'm guessing that they have some
        sort of system set up beneath them to handle day-to-day manners and
        are only truly concerned with things of the utmost concern like a
        monarch in real life.
      • sailorcovv@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 2, 2002
          In a message dated 4/1/2002 11:58:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          tenou_haruka3@... writes:

          > Throughout History, Monarchs have done some things that could be
          > > regarded as 'childish'. I don't think she's as childish you make it
          > > out to be.

          True to a point. But its Usagi we're talking about! She has an entire kingdom
          at hand and super powers that decide the fate of the planet! I really hate to
          think of her still as the same 14 year old( in the beginning of the anime)
          who just sleeps, eats,and play games. And the anime is quite confusing
          sometimes when dealing with the future Usagi. Like it was said before, usagi
          is said to have stole food from her daugther and sent a letter to Chibi-Usa
          in the worst hand writing possible, in the anime. However, during the
          SuperS season (or was it S?), we see her in a long flowing dress with a
          tranquil smile upon her face - showing no signs of her childishness at all.
          So which is which?

        • Naia Zifu
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 3, 2002
            It's not just Usagi's handwriting that's a problem, but also the fact that,
            even when sending letters back from the future, her letters contain no kanji.
            She's a wife, mother, and queen, and yet she still can't write kanji? That's
            just as much a testament to her childishness as the content of the letters.
            Chibi-Usa seems to be just as confused about her mother as we are; she
            sometimes says she wants to be a fine and graceful lady like her mother is, yet
            at other times she complains of her mother's childishness. Maybe being a
            superhero and having to keep a hidden identity causes a split personality
            disorder?

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
              --- In Sailor_Uranus@y..., Naia Zifu <tenou_haruka3@y...> wrote:
              > It's not just Usagi's handwriting that's a problem, but also
              the fact that, even when sending letters back from the future, her
              letters contain no kanji. She's a wife, mother, and queen, and yet
              she still can't write kanji? That's just as much a testament to her
              childishness as the content of the letters.
              Not really, maybe Usagi is writing in the language of that time. For
              all we know the language of the Moon Kingdom is back in use.

              > Chibi-Usa seems to be just as confused about her mother as we
              are; she sometimes says she wants to be a fine and graceful lady like
              her mother is, yet at other times she complains of her mother's
              childishness. Maybe being a superhero and having to keep a hidden
              identity causes a split personality disorder?
              Chibausa is only 7 years old, she's not really able to understand
              everything as of yet. Keep in mind that she's not like today's 7-year
              olds, she's still relatively innocent. Making matters worse is the
              matter of time travel and everything. That confuses adults.

              And I do remember a story where a superhero develops split
              Personality disorders. In fact most mainstream hero titles deal with
              that particular topic every once in awhile.
            • lady_tenou_haruka
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
                "charles_parkerh" <charles_parkerh@y...> wrote:
                Not really, maybe Usagi is writing in the language of that time. For
                all we know the language of the Moon Kingdom is back in use.

                Chibausa is only 7 years old, she's not really able to understand
                everything as of yet. Keep in mind that she's not like today's 7-year
                olds, she's still relatively innocent. Making matters worse is the
                matter of time travel and everything. That confuses adults.

                ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

                But doesn't Ami make a comment about Usagi's childish writing? (Don't
                remember the exact words.)

                And Chibi Usa's 900 I think. Or is that only in the Manga?

                Ten'ou

                Shall I lose my Soul's mate, and my Heart's dream,
                Because of something so trivial as gender?

                Shoujo Senshi - http://home.sailormoon.com/shoujo_senshi/
                Bishoujo-Ai - http://home.sailormoon.com/shoujo-ai/
                Inherit the Wind - http://www.angelfire.com/anime2/haruka21
              • Naia Zifu
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 4, 2002
                  Nope, my videos specifically say she was writing without kanji. Wasn't
                  there even a place where she tried to write kanji, but wrote the wrong ones,
                  and gave up? I thought it was funny that she wrote in a letter from the
                  future, a note to her past self to study more in school; apparently even she
                  knows she's not that intelligent!
                  I really have no idea how old Chibi-Usa is. *sweatdrops* She looks
                  young, but I've heard that was just because she wasn't ageing properly in her
                  own time. I don't know if that was from the manga (which I avoid) or the
                  anime (which I only have fansubs of the last three series for, so I can't
                  reference R series eps :-( ), but she certainly seems very smart for looking
                  so young. I could easily believe she's older and just not growing up
                  physically, anyway, even based only on that.
                  There you go, then. Being a superhero causes MPD, so that's why Usagi
                  acts so young sometimes and so mature other times, in the future. She must
                  have a weaker sense of self than the other Senshi, though; her friends seem
                  to have no such identity crisis.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 14, 2002
                    --- In Sailor_Uranus@y..., Naia Zifu <tenou_haruka3@y...> wrote:
                    > Nope, my videos specifically say she was writing without
                    kanji. Wasn't there even a place where she tried to write kanji, but
                    wrote the wrong ones, and gave up? I thought it was funny that she
                    wrote in a letter from the future, a note to her past self to study
                    more in school; apparently even she knows she's not that intelligent!
                    Well the Japanese language does have three alphabets.. Maybe she was
                    writing in those?

                    I think Neo-Queen Serenity has to be fairly intelligent otherwise she
                    wouldn't be where she is.

                    > I really have no idea how old Chibi-Usa is. *sweatdrops* She
                    looks young, but I've heard that was just because she wasn't ageing
                    properly in her own time. I don't know if that was from the manga
                    (which I avoid) or the anime (which I only have fansubs of the last
                    three series for, so I can't reference R series eps :-( ), but she
                    certainly seems very smart for looking so young. I could easily
                    believe she's older and just not growing up physically, anyway, even
                    based only on that.
                    She may very well be much older, if the manga states she's 900 years
                    old, I'm inclined to believe that. The question is, what's her
                    maturity level? She gives every outward sign of being just a kid
                    despite her advanced age.

                    > There you go, then. Being a superhero causes MPD, so that's
                    why Usagi acts so young sometimes and so mature other times, in the
                    future. She must have a weaker sense of self than the other Senshi,
                    though; her friends seem to have no such identity crisis.
                    I don't think so. If you recall she's the only who stands pat for
                    WHAT she believes in no matter the cost. Even Uranus and Neptune
                    falter before she does. Usagi has the greatest burden to bear, her
                    entire life has been determined for her already. Even if its the life
                    she dreams of that's still something that's differcult for anyone to
                    deal with. None of the other sailor Senshi with the possible
                    exception of Saturn have near that amount of pressure.
                  • Naia Zifu
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 15, 2002
                      I'd assume she was writing in kana (spelling words out in katakana and
                      hiragana) only, like a child who has yet to learn kanji. That's not a good
                      level for a teen-ager to be at, much less a queen! Intelligence isn't a
                      prerequisite to being a monarch, though; it's just whether you're next in
                      line to rule in the royal family or not. But she does definitely know she's
                      not smart enough, or else she wouldn't have told her past self to study more.

                      Chibi-Usa seems very precocious, at least in the real version. I'm often
                      surprised at the level of intelligence and maturity she displays. . . except
                      when it comes to that weird competition she and Usagi have over Mamoru's
                      attention. . . but I think that brings out the worst in both of them.
                      Chibi-Usa is. . . *thinks* . . . kind of like a girl who missed out on her
                      real childhood, to me. It's like she's too smart and wise for the age she
                      looks, but she's missed a lot of the joys of childhood and she's trying to
                      catch up on it all now. Maybe it's because she grew up in such a lonely and
                      sheltered life. . . or maybe I'm putting too much of myself on her. . . I
                      tend to do that with some characters.
                      I'm just not seeing it. Usagi always appears mentally and emotionally
                      the most fragile to me. Any specific scenes you think she seems stronger
                      than everyone that way?

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 16, 2002
                        Well, by Junior High all students are expected to know Hiragana,
                        Katakana, and Kanji. That Usagi can't do this... She's still at an
                        elementary level.

                        And really, though royals are not expected to be intelligent, they
                        should well versed in world policies, politic, and the like. At lease
                        enough so that you don't offend other nations.
                        But intelligence... most royal really have no chance at that due to
                        the inbreeding.

                        As I said before, in the manga at least, ChibiUsa is 900 years old.
                        Since part of her character in the anime came from the manga, that
                        would account for the reasons why she seem wise, smarter, older then
                        she looks.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 16, 2002
                          This is one of the reasons I wonder if Mamoru is the real ruler there;
                          not only doesn't Usagi know kanji, but she doesn't seem to know much at all
                          about the world around her. I don't think she could be an effective ruler on
                          her own.
                          Side Q, how did she get into high school if she's constantly making such
                          bad grades and can't even do kanji? It must be a desirable school if
                          important idols like Three Lights would apply there, so why would they take
                          Usagi?
                          I like how smart Chibi-Usa is. The thing that annoys me most about
                          children is how immature and unintelligent they usually seem. *knows that's
                          harsh, but can't help feeling it anyway* I like genius children who seem
                          wise beyond their years (they're more tolerable that way), which is probably
                          why I like Chibi-Usa so much even though children in general often annoy me.