Re: "that's gay" OT

  • Ten'ou Haruka
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 1, 2001
      Since we're on the topic of correcting,

      michiruv@a... wrote:
      People do correct you if you say "It's so retarded" am I right?
      because there a lot of retarded people (meaning illness). I
      believe if you can't use retarded you can't use gay either.

      Retarded is a discriptive word. It means behind. If someone or
      something is slower then the norm, then it is retarded. Intelcually
      challenged people are retarded because they learn slower then the
      norm.

      Ten'ou
      www.angelfire.com/anime2/haruka21
    • Naia Zifu
      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 7, 2001
        If someone I know says something bad about gay people, I almost always speak up. It's just in
        public where I'm less likely to say anything about it, because you never know what a stranger's going
        to do! I like to keep as quiet about my preferences as possible around strangers because I'm not
        physically strong enough to defend myself if they try to start something :-( .
        But, for example, last time John was over, he started saying derogatory comments about gay people,
        and I told him that was really rude, _especially in present company._ His eyes got huge and he
        stammered for an apology, saying he really had no idea! I hope next time, before he says something
        bad about gay people, he'll remember he knows at least one really cool gay person IRL, and maybe he'll
        think twice about it!
        With strangers I'm less likely to say something for fear of beatings or worse, but if someone asks
        me if I'm gay I won't lie. Lying about it, unless you're currently in fear for your life if you tell
        the truth, will generally cause more trouble when the truth finally does come out.

        CatFish wrote:

        > I do that too... and while I'm not sure it makes a big difference in
        > popular opinion, but it sure as hell makes a difference to any closeted
        > gay kids around. Or at least, it makes a difference to me. I try to
        > stop people from saying it, but sometimes I just freeze up, because...
        > well, if somebody says "Well are *you* gay?" I can't say no. So it
        > really, really makes me feel better when someone else *does* say
        > something.
        > I have a teacher who would throw kids out if they used the word
        > 'faggot.' And even if it might have been overacting a wee bit, it
        > *still* made my day, because *somebody* gave a damn. Unforetunatly,
        > he's moving... to San Fransisco. (We all think he's a closet case,
        > because he really is your stereotypical gay man, but he's got a
        > girlfriend, so... ::shrug::)
        >
        > Um. Anyway, my point is, keep it up, because there's *bound* to be
        > someone there who will appreciate it.
        >
        > -CatFish
        >
        > =====
        > "We humans fear the beast within the wolf because we do not understand the beast within ourselves"
        > ---Gerald Hausman
        > ***
        > Element 80: Art, writing and... stuff.
        > http://www.geocities.com/element80art/
        > Laboris Solis: Harry Potter fanart and fic.
        > http://hyperion.spaceports.com/~laboriss/

        > Shortcut URL to Yahoo! Groups' SUML page:
        >
        > For further info, please visit the list's web site at
        > http://redrival.com/haruka/

        Naia Zifu (naia_zifu@...)
        ICQ: #22365735 / AIM: Naia Zifu, Chibi Taiki Kou
        http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/3328

        Mooniecode(1.14.15a)
        SM:6+ F:sUr++½Ta>++½Me+:vIrToFiMiPf:aUmLuPr:pS+St>+
        D:sJu<-:vBa O:d--c--:s--:a-½:h+½:x-- P:a25:s51:w?:
        f-:eGrLBLcg:hBr+:t--:cWh:zAq+:x-:r+|+

        NetZero Platinum
        No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
        Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!