      From: Dave Baranyi<anthony.bara...@...>
      Date: 12 avr, 21:53
      Subject: Spring 2012 Anime Season Week 2 - more thoughts
      To: rec.arts.anime.misc

      I've now watched the first episode of all of the remaining new Spring
      2012 anime
      series that I intended to try out. This week there were 5 shows with
      potential
      and two immediate duds.

      “Nazo no Kanojo X”, aka, “Mysterious Girlfriend x” - this was another very
      strong first episode adaptation of a very odd manga. What we have here is
      Riichi Ueshiba of “Yume Tsukai” fame creating a strange near-fantasy about a
      high school couple who are drawn to each other by saliva. The manga has been
      going on for years, and it doesn't appear to be near to finishing, so
      it's hard
      to say where the anime may go. But the first episode captured the
      quirkiness of
      the early manga chapters very well. My initial rating is: A.

      “Upotte!” - Ha – I've already forgotten what this p.o.s. was about. Oh yeah,
      assault rifles that are teenaged girls. (Someone else can try to explain
      this.)
      Lowbrow comedy, lots of fan service, nothing resembling originality –
      yes this
      one will likely be a big hit. My final rating is: C-.

      “Tasogare Otome x Amnesia”, aka, “Dusk Maiden of Amnesia” - the third
      currently
      running very odd manga series that I'm following that is being turned
      into an
      anime. The first episode avoided simply copying the manga and instead
      set up the
      characters by mixing together parts of several early story lines,
      similar to the
      opening of “Natsu no Arashi”. And similar again to N no A, we have a
      long dead
      ghost who this time is haunting a high school, and the boy who decides
      to find
      out the ghost's past. This is also a long-running manga series with no
      sign of
      an end in sight, so there is no way of telling where this anime will go
      either.
      My initial rating is: A.

      As an aside; I find it interesting that we have three
      Very-Strange-Girlfriend
      series this season. Sankarea has a zombie, Nazo no Kanojou X has a girl
      who can
      tell feelings and see dreams by tasting her boyfriend's saliva, and Tasogare
      Otome x Amnesia has a ghost girlfriend. I find all three manga series to be
      utterly captivating and I have bought the tankoubans for all three, am
      getting
      the monthly mangas for the first two, and I may start getting the
      monthly “phone
      book” for the third.

      “Hiayore! Nyaruko-san” - if the subsequent episodes have as much energy and
      fast-talk as the first this kooky fantasy satire will be impossible to
      marathon.
      Is it good? Well, ... Is it entertaining? Well... But it's not bad. My
      initial
      rating is: C+.

      “Sakamichi no Apollon”, aka, “Kids on the Slope” - this Noitamina
      slice-of-life
      series has one good thing going for it – it is about kids learning about
      jazz in
      the 60s. It also has two bad things going against it – the Opening and
      Ending
      themes. How can a story that is about jazz in the 60s have such maudlin,
      poorly
      performed, and un-jazz-like OP and ED songs?! There is only one word that
      describes them – CRAP!!! My initial rating (despite the OP& ED) is: B.

      “Tsuritama” - Perhaps the sleeper of the season, this strange fantasy
      about four
      boys brought together by fishing and a talking fish has an animation
      look to it
      that resembles that of “Mawaru Penguindrum”. (The first episode reminded
      me why
      I don't like to teach raw beginners how to fish...) It also has one of the
      hottest obaa-sans in an anime in a long time. My initial rating is: A-.

      “Shining Hearts – Shiawase no Pan” - Gawd that was dull... That was like
      a dull
      opening for a dull game... And yes, I know it is based upon a game, but
      give me
      a break - couldn't they come up with anything beyond derivative fluff?
      What this
      needed was a nasty sense of humor - like having the Kyube thing turn into a
      tentacle monster after eating the bread. Life's too short – my final
      rating is:
      D.

      Dave Baranyi