PR514: Scrap Speed Cameras petition receives huge support

  • Safe Speed
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2007
      PR514: Scrap Speed Cameras petition receives huge support

      news: for immediate release

      Safe Speed's official 'scrap speed cameras' petition closed yesterday with
      almost 28,000 signatures.

      This was achieved with very little attention from the national media. At the
      time of closing, it was the 7th most signed petition on the 10 Downing Street
      web site out of over 7,700, putting it in the top 0.1%.

      Paul Smith, founder of SafeSpeed.org.uk, said: "It goes to show the strength of
      feeling about speed cameras. Drivers know that they are the wrong policy and
      our national road safety results prove drivers right."

      "Safe Speed's 'Scrap Speed Cameras Week' is intended to highlight the abject
      failures of our road safety policies. And when policy fails it's time to call a
      halt and move on. In this case the longer it takes to return to effective road
      safety policies the more people will die unnecessarily."

      "I'm absolutely certain that Department for Transport know full well that their
      policies have failed, but they would rather save face than save lives."

      "Perhaps Gordon Brown will take a long hard look at Department for Transport
      and put matter right with a clean sweep. You might say that this is an
      opportunity for a new BROWN to sweep clean!"

      <ends>

      Notes for editors
      =================

      The official 'scrapcam' petition:
      http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/scrapcam

      Currently 27,952 signatures. The number will continue to rise slowly for a
      while as people who signed while it was open respond to confirmation emails.

      Scrap Speed Cameras Week:
      http://www.safespeed.org.uk/sscw.html

      About Safe Speed
      ================

      The Safe Speed road safety campaign is primarily the work of engineer-turned
      road safety analyst Paul Smith.

      Since setting up Safe Speed in 2001, Paul Smith, 52, an advanced driver and
      road safety enthusiast, and a professional engineer of 25 years UK experience,
      has carried out over 22,000 hours working on the campaign with well over 6,000
      of those hours researching the overall effects of speed camera policy on UK
      road safety. In addition to those 22,000 hours, Paul has funded to campaign to
      the tune of £10,000.

      We believe that this is more work in more detail than anything carried out by
      any other organisation. Paul's surprising conclusion is that overall speed
      cameras make our roads more dangerous. Paul has identified and reported a
      number of major flaws and false assumptions in the claims made for speed
      cameras, and the whole "speed kills" system of road safety.

      The inescapable conclusion is that we should urgently return to the excellent
      road safety policies that gave us in the UK the safest roads in the World in
      the first place. Far from saving lives, speed cameras are a dangerous
      distraction.

      Safe Speed does not campaign against speed limits or appropriate enforcement
      of motoring laws, but argues vigorously that automated speed enforcement is
      neither safe nor appropriate.

      Safe Speed is very slimly funded by voluntary contributions to the web site.
      We are urgently seeking improved funding.

      The Safe Speed web site contains more than 350,000 words of road safety
      analysis and information. We are seeking publishers for 'the book of the web
      site'.

      It has turned out to be quite an amazing story and there are opportunities for
      journalists and broadcasters to explore how all this came about, what it
      means, and where road safety has gone so badly wrong.

      Contact Safe Speed
      ================

      web: http://www.safespeed.org.uk
      email: psmith@...
      telephone: > 01862 893030 < Primary contact number and see below
      ISDN Audio: 01862 894772
      mobile: 07799 045553

      Location: North Scotland

      We are always available for further comment on your road safety story.

      To be added to our PR distribution list send an email to
      psmith@... or visit our press pages at:
      http://www.safespeed.org.uk/prindex.html

      Recent press releases (since November 2004) are automatically and immediately
      uploaded to:

      Recent photo of Paul Smith:
      http://www.safespeed.org.uk/ps004.jpg

      Scrap Speed Cameras Week: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/sscw.html

      You can reach Paul Smith on 07799 045553 today.

      Paul Smith is in London for Scrap Speed Cameras Week 24th-30th inc.