PR513: ECHR verdict: Friday: Important Press arrangements

  • Safe Speed
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2007
      PR513: ECHR verdict: Friday: Important Press arrangements

      Press conference notification and press notification.

      Journalists, Photographers, TV and Radio should attend.

      THE CASE THAT COULD STOP SPEED CAMERAS DECLARES ON FRIDAY

      The verdict on these two closely related applications over the breach of the
      right to silence inherent in S172 1988 Road Traffic Act will be announced
      shortly after 9.30am at the European Court of Human
      Rights in Strasbourg - 8.30 am UK time.

      There is likely to be a great deal of media interest in this case, as there was
      at the time of the oral hearing in Strasbourg on 27 September 2006, because
      S172 is used approximately 10,000 times a day to
      obtain under duress the names of drivers who have triggered speed cameras. A
      ruling in favour of the applicants, might well make confessions obtained in
      this way inadmissible in evidence.

      Idris Francis, one of the applicants, and Paul Smith of Safe Speed will hold a
      press conference from 7.00am at the Royal Air Force Club, Piccadilly, London.
      In advance of the announcement of the verdict, barrister Michael Shrimpton will
      speak about the legal issues and Idris Francis and Paul Smith will present
      evidence to show how the abject failure of speed camera policy has been
      systematically misrepresented by the authorities but also how the DfT has all
      but ignored for more than four years a far more cost effective alternative to
      cameras that does not involve persecuting drivers or breaching fundamental
      rights.

      Time will be set aside for questions, answers and interviews, before and after
      the verdict is known.

      All bone fide representatives of the media, lawyers and others with direct
      interest in this important issue are cordially invited - RSVP to
      ifrancis@... or 07717222459. While prior reservation would
      be most helpful, it is not essential.

      Paul Smith, founder of SafeSpeed.org.uk, said: "This case is extremely
      important to road safety. If it kills off speed cameras - and I hope it will,
      at least for a while - it will be a great day for road safety and a great day
      for justice."

      <ends>

      Full details:
      =============

      Time and Date from: 7.00am, Friday 29th June 2007
      Venue: The Ballroom,
      The Royal Air Force Club.
      128 Piccadilly, London W1J 7PY
      (entrance is level with the eastern end of the Hyde Park Corner underpass)

      Venue contact tel: 0207 399 1005 or 1004 (for media facilities etc)
      Venue web site: http://www.rafclub.org.uk (for details of nearby parking etc)
      Dress Code: A strict dress code normally applies.

      Idris Francis (appellant)
      email: irfrancis@...
      mobile: 07717222459

      Paul Smith
      email: psmith@...
      mobile: 07799 045553
      web: http://www.safespeed.org.uk

      Liberty Press Office: 020 7378 3656
      (Press statement after the verdict is known)

      Notes for editors
      =================

      Case details:
      Verdict in EUROPEAN COURT OF HUMAN RIGHTS Application Nos: 15809/02 and
      25624/02 O'HALLORAN and FRANCIS v the UK over the right to silence in S172
      1988 RTA (speed camera law)

      About Safe Speed
      ================

      The Safe Speed road safety campaign is primarily the work of engineer-turned
      road safety analyst Paul Smith.

      Since setting up Safe Speed in 2001, Paul Smith, 52, an advanced driver and
      road safety enthusiast, and a professional engineer of 25 years UK experience,
      has carried out over 22,000 hours working on the campaign with well over 6,000
      of those hours researching the overall effects of speed camera policy on UK
      road safety. In addition to those 22,000 hours, Paul has funded to campaign to
      the tune of £10,000.

      We believe that this is more work in more detail than anything carried out by
      any other organisation. Paul's surprising conclusion is that overall speed
      cameras make our roads more dangerous. Paul has identified and reported a
      number of major flaws and false assumptions in the claims made for speed
      cameras, and the whole "speed kills" system of road safety.

      The inescapable conclusion is that we should urgently return to the excellent
      road safety policies that gave us in the UK the safest roads in the World in
      the first place. Far from saving lives, speed cameras are a dangerous
      distraction.

      Safe Speed does not campaign against speed limits or appropriate enforcement
      of motoring laws, but argues vigorously that automated speed enforcement is
      neither safe nor appropriate.

      Safe Speed is very slimly funded by voluntary contributions to the web site.
      We are urgently seeking improved funding.

      The Safe Speed web site contains more than 350,000 words of road safety
      analysis and information. We are seeking publishers for 'the book of the web
      site'.

      It has turned out to be quite an amazing story and there are opportunities for
      journalists and broadcasters to explore how all this came about, what it
      means, and where road safety has gone so badly wrong.

      Contact Safe Speed
      ================

      web: http://www.safespeed.org.uk
      email: psmith@...
      telephone: > 01862 893030 < Primary contact number and see below
      ISDN Audio: 01862 894772
      mobile: 07799 045553

      Location: North Scotland

      We are always available for further comment on your road safety story.

      To be added to our PR distribution list send an email to
      psmith@... or visit our press pages at:
      http://www.safespeed.org.uk/prindex.html

      Recent press releases (since November 2004) are automatically and immediately
      uploaded to:

      Recent photo of Paul Smith:
      http://www.safespeed.org.uk/ps004.jpg

      Scrap Speed Cameras Week: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/sscw.html

      You can reach Paul Smith on 07799 045553 today.

      Paul Smith is in London for Scrap Speed Cameras Week 24th-30th inc.