PR512: Last chance to sign 'Scrap Speed Cameras' petition

  • Safe Speed
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2007
      PR512: Last chance to sign 'Scrap Speed Cameras' petition

      news: Embargo 00:01am Tuesday 26th June 2007

      The famous official 'Scrap Speed Cameras' petition from the Safe Speed campaign
      closes at midnight tonight. (note embargo - that's Midnight Tuesday)

      Paul Smith, founder of SafeSpeed.org.uk, said: "As part of Safe Speed's 'Scrap
      Speed Cameras Week' activities, our official petition closes at midnight. To
      take advantage of the last chance to sign, please go to
      http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/scrapcam ."

      "We're calling for speed cameras to be scrapped because they are a failed road
      safety policy. This isn't any longer an opinion or an option. It's simply a
      road safety necessity."

      "The petition presently has over 26,000 signatures and is the 7th most signed
      on the 10 Downing Street web site

      <ends>

      Notes for editors
      =================

      Please consider giving this important petition publicity.

      DfT and ACPO won't comments on our analysis or findings - instead they prefer
      to denigrate the Safe Speed organisation.

      This is a sure sign that our arguments and analysis are winning ones - if they
      could dismiss our claims they would do so and the fight would be over.

      In fact if they could find a single flaw they would have done so and our case
      would be lost.

      But it's Safe Speed finding the gaping flaws in their case.

      We will face any test in any medium. If you want to host a debate in your
      medium, then make it possible and we will respond.

      See Paul Smith's article in last Saturday's Telegraph:
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2007/06/23/nosplit/mfspeed23.xml

      About Safe Speed
      ================

      The Safe Speed road safety campaign is primarily the work of engineer-turned
      road safety analyst Paul Smith.

      Since setting up Safe Speed in 2001, Paul Smith, 52, an advanced driver and
      road safety enthusiast, and a professional engineer of 25 years UK experience,
      has carried out over 22,000 hours working on the campaign with well over 6,000
      of those hours researching the overall effects of speed camera policy on UK
      road safety. In addition to those 22,000 hours, Paul has funded to campaign to
      the tune of £10,000.

      We believe that this is more work in more detail than anything carried out by
      any other organisation. Paul's surprising conclusion is that overall speed
      cameras make our roads more dangerous. Paul has identified and reported a
      number of major flaws and false assumptions in the claims made for speed
      cameras, and the whole "speed kills" system of road safety.

      The inescapable conclusion is that we should urgently return to the excellent
      road safety policies that gave us in the UK the safest roads in the World in
      the first place. Far from saving lives, speed cameras are a dangerous
      distraction.

      Safe Speed does not campaign against speed limits or appropriate enforcement
      of motoring laws, but argues vigorously that automated speed enforcement is
      neither safe nor appropriate.

      Safe Speed is very slimly funded by voluntary contributions to the web site.
      We are urgently seeking improved funding.

      The Safe Speed web site contains more than 350,000 words of road safety
      analysis and information. We are seeking publishers for 'the book of the web
      site'.

      It has turned out to be quite an amazing story and there are opportunities for
      journalists and broadcasters to explore how all this came about, what it
      means, and where road safety has gone so badly wrong.

      Contact Safe Speed
      ================

      web: http://www.safespeed.org.uk
      email: psmith@...
      telephone: > 01862 893030 < Primary contact number and see below
      ISDN Audio: 01862 894772
      mobile: 07799 045553

      Location: North Scotland

      We are always available for further comment on your road safety story.

      To be added to our PR distribution list send an email to
      psmith@... or visit our press pages at:
      http://www.safespeed.org.uk/prindex.html

      Recent press releases (since November 2004) are automatically and immediately
      uploaded to:

      Scrap Speed Cameras Week: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/sscw.html

      You can reach Paul Smith on 07799 045553 today.

      Paul Smith is in London for Scrap Speed Cameras Week 24th-30th inc.