FW: [Autumn 2008 Classes at the Accidental BookMaker] Autumn 2008 Classes at Green Heron Book Arts

  • Vera Latimer
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2008

      Subject: [Autumn 2008 Classes at the Accidental BookMaker] Autumn 2008 Classes at Green Heron Book Arts

      Autumn 2008 Classes at the Accidental BookMaker

      Beginning Bookbinding-- Long Stitch Variations

      The long stitch is one of the oldest ways of sewing a book together. In long stitch books the cover is attached to the text paper with long, running stitches that are visible on the spine. This lends itself to all kinds of decorative stitching on the spine or beadwork. This class explores the long stitch in several variations including a variation sometimes called the buttonhole stitch with a paper cover and long stitch with a soft leather cover. We will make three books.
      Instructor: Patricia Grass
      Date: Wednesday, November 5, 12, and 19, 3 weeks
      Time: 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
      Cost: $75 + $20 materials fee

      Introduction to the Case Bound Book

      "I want to make a REAL book." If you have made all the simple stitched or folded books you find in craft magazines but still hunger to make a "real" book, one that has many pages and a hard cover, this class is for you. You will come away with two books that are made of many sections of paper, sewn on tapes, with a binders board cover (a case) covered with bookcloth and paper or fabric. Beginners are welcome as we will review the concept of paper grain, trimming sections, and look at various tools and materials suitable for use in making books.
      Instructor: Patricia Grass
      Date: Saturday, November 1, 2008, 1 day
      Time: 9:30 am - 5:00 pm
      Cost: $50 + $20 materials fee

      A Clamshell Box

      A clamshell box is a very sturdy box and can be used to enclose many things from books to prints to stationary. It involves exact measuring and cutting but can be mastered by anyone with a little practice. Bring a book for which you want to make a box or, if you took the case bound book class, bring the book from that class.
      Instructor: Patricia Grass
      Date: Saturday, November 8, 2008, 1 day
      Time: 9:30 am - 5:00 pm
      Cost: $50 + $20 materials fee

      How to Register

      Please contact us at:
      Green Heron Book Arts
      The Accidental BookMaker
      1928 21st Avenue
      Forest Grove , OR 97116
      503-357-7263
      bookkits@...
      www.greenheronbookkits.com

      A Paper Christmas

      This series of three classes presents several craft projects for the Holiday season beginning with cards and going on to wreaths and ornaments--all made from paper. You can take one or all three of the classes.

      Cards

      Experiment with a variety of materials. We will print using commercial stamps, collage with beautiful papers, and embellish with embossing powders, metal, wire, and beads. Go away with 10 beautiful and personal cards to send to family and friends.
      Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 1 day
      Time: 9:30 am - 1:30 pm
      Cost: $25 + $10 materials fee

      Wreaths

      Folded paper, cut paper, twisted paper--all can be used to make holiday wreaths.
      Date: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 1 day
      Time: 9:30 am - 1:30 pm
      Cost: $25 + $10 materials fee

      Ornaments

      Stars, balls and snowflakes-- all made from paper.
      Date: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 1 day
      Time: 9:30 am - 1:30 pm
      Cost: $25 + $10 materials fee

      Green Heron Book Arts • 1928 21st Avenue • Forest Grove • OR • 97116