FW: News from Pacific Center for the Book Arts

  • Vera Latimer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009

      From: Pacific Center for the Book Arts [mailto:roiboosh@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 9:33 AM
      To: v.latimer@...
      Subject: News from Pacific Center for the Book Arts

      etc.
      Newsletter of the Pacific Center
      for the Book Arts

      Volume 17, Number 9

        June/July 2009

      M. Laird2
      0

      9           View Luz Marina's Pictures of PCBA's Printers' Fair!

      The fair was a great success!  Thank you members for your participation.  Please take a look at Luz Marina's beautiful photos of the fair at My photostream
      http://flickr.com/gp/33606038@N04/76d27Z
      Thank you Luz!

      Visit PCBA's Website

      www.pcba.info

      PCBA Board Members

      John Sullivan: President John McBride: Treasurer Katherine Case: Social Events Chair, Colleen Stockman: Exhibitions Heidi Hess Debbie Kogan. Natalie Marsh: PCBA Administrator. PCBA contacts: general questions: info@... membership: membership@... exhibitions: exhibitions@... newsletter: etc@... journal: ampersand@... web site: webmaven@... President: John Sullivan, president@...

      The Ampersand relies on PCBA member contribution.

      Great Opportunity to review and keep new books about book arts:
      Occasionally Ampersand receives review copies of books, and I'm looking for people to review them. Reviewers would keep the book they reviewed.
      Currently I have "How to Make Books" by Esther Smith. If you're interested, email me at books@....
      Susan Angebranndt, Editor, Ampersand.

      Susan Angebrandt, our Ampersand designer and great editor, can help you turn an idea or project into an article for some of the 28 pages we publish each quarter. Please email article suggestions to her at susan@.... She can help you turn your thoughts into a piece that shares your discovery with the larger book arts community. We are especially looking for future projects to highlight in the "Connection."

      Bartalos bookVolunteer for PCBA!!

      We need  you to get involved!

      We rely on our dedicated volunteer members to make PCBA a thriving organization. PCBA provides great opportunities for involvement at your level of time availability and your interests! Really, we have 1-2 hour jobs to monthly commitments.  Please dedicate some of your time to help PCBA flourish as a member run organization. These are just a few opportunities to become involved:

      · Board or Committee Member
      · Newsletter Editor
      · Helping with Ampersand mailings
      · Ampersand: Write an article, review a book or exhibit, contribute a photo, interview a member about her/his work
      · Open your studio for a tour
      · Offer a tour of your exhibition for PCBA members
      · Give a talk about your work (we provide treats and location!)
      We would love your help!  Please contact Natalie at roiboosh@... if you would like join us in growing our organization!

      (Photo Michael Bartalos, winner of the Johnston Award)

      PCBA has a new brochure!
      Melissa Kaup Augustine teaches a design class at the Academy of Art.  Six of her students formed a design team named Ox and each designed a brochure for PCBA.  It was a very tough decision, but of the 6 designs we chose Mario Sosa's brochure.  Congratulations Mario, we are lucky to have such a talented designer contribute his work to PCBA.  Thank you to everyone involved in Ox Design: Joe Azurin, Danielle Bloss, Waranya Ekman, Bryan Musk, Mario Sosa, and Dara Vann.

      Andie Thrams Summer Workshops! A thrams 3

      Andie Thrams will be teaching workshops this summer in Oregon and California. Her workshops at Focus on the Book Arts and at Green Heron are both full, but she will also be teaching these summer workshops:

      Sierra Field Journal: Summer Mountain Magic

      July 4-6

      Learn field techniques for capturing gesture, detail, pattern, color, and the complexity of plants where they grow on the pages of your field journal, at this delightful mountain field campus on the Yuba River.

      Offered by San Francisco State University Sierra Nevada Field Campus, Yuba Pass, California. (650) 783-1814

      http://www.sfsu.edu/~sierra/Course_Botanical_Illuminations.html

      Wild Yoga on the Rogue River

      August 19-23

      This float trip down the wild and scenic Rogue River in Oregon will combine daily yoga (with Dennis Eagan), comfortable camping and great food, with the joys of river travel. Andie will be along to do her own work, and happy to paint alongside anyone wishing to join in. Offered by ECHO Rivertrips. (800) 652-3246

      http://www.echotrips.com/rogue/yoga.html

      Wild Yoga High Sierra Yoga Trek

      September 2-6

      Trek into Yosemite's backcountry, with yoga instructor, Dennis Eagan, and combine yoga with one of the primary meditations of Buddhism: walking. Andie will be along to do her own work, and happy paint alongside anyone wishing to join in. Offered by Balanced Rock Foundation. (530) 626-6353

      http://balancedrockfoundation.org/

      Autumn Flora

      September 12-13

      Explore botanical drawing and painting techniques on site in this gem of a native plant garden in the Berkeley hills.

      Offered by Tilden Regional Parks Botanic Garden. (510) 528-0526

      http://www.nativeplants.org/

      Image: Andie Thrams

      Polyglot: Expressive Media in Book Arts
      Gualala Arts Center: June 13 to July 5, 2009
      J Hoffman
      Reception: Saturday, June 13 from 5-7p.m.

      ***Many PCBA Members are involved in this exhibit!

      Polyglot: Expressive Media in Book Arts is an exhibition of more than 50 artists' books featuring works by artists using multiple media such as glass, fabrics, metals, clay and computer. These artists draw on past traditions, but also envision the future. Their books in this exhibition display a diversity of forms, techniques and material used to express the artists' interests ranging from story telling, aesthetics, technology and war.

      The participating artists are: Jody Alexander, Pati Bristow, Lark Burkhart, Ginger Burrell, Dorit Elisha, Hal & Jan Fogel, Suzan Friedland, Jackie Gardener, Diana Goldstein, Judith Hoffman, Wendy Jordan, Barbara Kelley, Debbie Kogen, Kumi Korf, Kent Manske, Blake More, Barbara Mortkowitz, Howard Munson, Penny Nii, Margaret Oldman, Priscilla Otani, David Peixoto, Jane Reichhold, Sara Waldron, Judith Serebrin, Tess Sinclair, Pat Smith, Linda Stinchfield, Rae Trujillo, Teresa Van Hatten-Granath, Peng-Peng Wang, Alice Wingwall, Nanette Wylde. Exhibition curators are Suzan Friedland and Penny Nii.

      Gualala Arts Center, famous for its Art in the Redwoods Festival, is located in Gualala, California, a few miles north of Sea Ranch. For more information, visit www.gualalaarts.org.
      Image: Judy Hoffman

      Liberte Ann MillerAnn Miller Exhibit
      THE FINE ART of drawing, painting, and letterform is exhibited in Ann Miller's local show of work spanning 40 years, running through June 3 at San Mateo Main Library and from June 3 to July 7, 2009 at San Mateo City Hall. Realistic studies influenced by world cultures include renderings of woven baskets, carved masks, clay vessels, still life, landscape, figure, and letterform art. New sumi brush stroke paintings on paper explore energetic expression of calligraphy in black and white.
      Ann is a designer, teacher, artist and calligrapher. Visit her M2 Design studio and gallery at:

      181 Second Ave, Suite 450
      650-558-8270         calligraphy@...
      www.annmiller-art.com

      Clarion Street by Kelly Lee BarrettEXTRAS

      ANOTHER ROOM BOOK ARTS:

      Another Room Book Arts now has a selection of artists' books at Mrs. Dalloway's Books, 2904 College Ave., Berkeley, CA,  open Monday - Sunday, www.mrsdalloways.com.

      On May 9th, Charles Hobson gave the first in a series of talks by book artists at Mrs. Dalloway's, and the series will continue this September.

      Also on sale at Mrs. Dalloway's is book art object  (published by the CODEX Foundation), one of the best resources for what's current internationally in the book arts, with 735 color images of work by artists, designers, and printers from all over the world, and with essays by artists and bookmakers from Canada, Mexico, England, and elsewhere.

      Another Room Book Arts will soon be selling on-line.  Please go to www.anotherroombooks.com for updates and to join the newsletter.

      Image: Clarion Street by Kelly Lee Barrett

      New Book from esteemed PCBA member Alastair Johnston
      Alastair Johnston, former Ampersand editor, has a new book from Oak Knoll Press
      http://www.oakknoll.com/detail.php?d_booknr=96679&d_currency=
      NINETEENTH-CENTURY AMERICAN DESIGNERS AND ENGRAVERS OF TYPE by William E. Loy
       (edited by Alastair M. Johnston and Stephen O. Saxe)
      This is the first comprehensive study of nineteenth-century American type, including biographies & photos of the designers & samples of over 800 typefaces.
      There are pix you can lift on the Oak Knoll website.

      Jennifer Harwell Announces Harwellarts Gallery Anniversary Party

      Jennifer Harwell

      New from Terry McClain!

      Terry McClain's article on Okinawan papermaker, Kiyoshi Agena is in the summer 2009 issue of Hand Papermaking magazine. McClain interviewed him in the spring of 2008 as part of her AiCA-SF sabbatical.

      Janene Ford: Congratulations!
      Janene Ford of Stockton entered three altered books into the Senior Awareness Day Art Show in Lodi and took a first place for the book "City of Bones".   The judges were not quite sure what category it fit into, so they put it into three dimensional art.    This is a first showing of this book.  Janene now feels encouraged to enter her altered books into traditional art shows.   She was also approached to do a gallery show in 2011 with the altered books as well as her mixed media collage/paintings.  Altered books are not well known in Stockton - most people had never seen one before.

      http://janenesartsngardens.blogspot.com/

      Classes, Etc.
      -------------------------------------
      LOGOS GRAPHICS

      Intaglio Plate Survey Class
      Saturday, June 13, 2009
      3-6 pm
      $50

      For photographers, fine artists, mark-makers: come check out intaglio!

      We'll cover basic pre-flight/Photoshop film positive preparation and then create film positives from an image setter as well as an ink jet printer.

      Then, we'll compare the strengths and weaknesses of three popular intaglio plate materials (KM-73, Dan Weldon Solar plate and ImagOn), including a cost benefit analysis between the different types and their performance. Finally, we'll try out new open-face vacuum frame exposing techniques.

      Introduction to Paste Papers and Simple Accordion Book Structure
      Saturday, June 20, 2009
      10 am to 5 pm
      $cost = standard SFCB Saturday class rate
      Materials fee = $15

      Paste papers are a fast way to whip up non-representational work onto paper. In the morning, we'll show you how to make simple paste papers using a range of acrylic pigments and paper colors.

      In the afternoon, we'll take the paste papers from the a.m. session and create simple accordion book structures for you to take home, further decorate and share!

      Heidelberg Windmill Letterpress Intensive Class
      THREE Saturday Sessions: July 11, 18 and 25, 2009
      10 am to 5 pm
      $cost = standard SFCB Saturday class rate x 3 (for multi-week sessions)
      Materials fee = $35

      Over three Saturday sessions, we will go into the job planning and printing basics for the Heidelberg Windmill letterpress. We'll include tips and tricks for make ready, inking secrets, and printing onto a wide variety of papers (including envelopes!). Participants will have multiple opportunities to set up and run this fantastic letterpress. Class size is limited to 6 people.

      To Register Contact: Lars K, Logos Graphics,lars@..., www.logosgraphics.net, 415-552-0817

      Monthly Thursday Workshops with Alisa Golden

      June 25. From Concept to Artist Book: Making Connections for a Working Model

      July 23. From Concept to Artist Book: Perfecting Construction

      August 6. Making Miniature Prints: Stencils and Carvings

      All classes are held from 10am - 12pm in the never mind the press studio in Albany, CA. $50 each. Materials provided. Minimum class size: 4. Maximum: 6.

      For more information, call Alisa at (510) 527-1767, or see www.neverbook.com.

      M. LairdFor those lucky enough to travel to or live to Italy or Hawaii:

      Book Arts Workshop in Florence, Italy with Cathy DeForest and Mary Laird
      at Santa Reparata International School of Art.

      The Book as Art: Creating Artist Books is being offered by The Dan Welden International Firenze 2009 Workshops from August 6-27, 2009. This three-week course is for beginning and advanced book artists. Participants will be encouraged to use multiple mediums to create their books such as: painting, printmaking, mixed media, photography, fabric arts and found objects. Concentrated studio time as well as leisure time in the nearby Tuscan countryside will be woven into the workshop. Tours of Florence, Siena and San Gimignano are included. In addition to creating multiple artist books, there is an optional four-day trip to the Printmaking Biennalle in Venice. As a finale to the course, students will be invited to exhibit art at the Santa Reparta Gallery. A three-week workshop in solarplate etching with Dan Welden, pioneer of the solar plate process, is also offered at the same time.

      For more information, contact Cathy DeForest at cathy@... or call 541-690-6976. Check out:www.gallerydeforest.com and Dan Welden describing the enticing workshops at Santa Reparata: "Dan Welden YouTube" orhttp://www.youtube.com/profile?user=davidschler

      Hawaii:
      Peter and Donna Thomas are showing one of their ukulele books (http://www.baymoon.com/%7Eukulelebooks/) in Hawaii in a show called ALPHABET SOUP: LITERACY, LANGUAGE & LEARNING
      February 13 - September 23, 2008
      Mission Houses Museum, Chamberlain Houses Galleries / 553 S. King St., Honolulu.
      Tuesdays-Saturdays, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm / Admission $6.00 / Ph. (808) 531-0480 ext. 704.
      Don't miss this family friendly exhibition about the development of a written Hawaiian alphabet. Presented in three "chapters," the exhibit explores: the history of the written Hawaiian alphabet and its use in print; an exploration of the variety of literature about, by and for Hawaii and finally; an alphabetical introduction to the museum's vast material culture collection in both English and Hawaiian. A treat for both families and bibliophiles, the exhibit features early printed Hawaiian works, a printing press, material culture objects and one-of-a-kind art books. The project is designed to engage public and private schools with meaningful and engaging curricula for teachers and students.

      Newsletter Opportunity and Deadline
      We would love to have the talent and energy of a PCBA Member to design the next etc. Newsletter.  It's fun and easy!  If you are interested contact Natalie at roiboosh@....  To include announcements in the August/September etc. send news of book arts events, publications, exhibits, classes,

      or items wanted/for sale to info@..., and we will post them for you.The deadline for including announcements in the next issue
      July 15th!

      (Photo by Kate Godfrey, book by Colleen Stockmann)

      Safe Unsubscribe

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

    • Vera Latimer
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2009