Re: Two improvements I am considering

  • John Kalinowski
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
      Anyone know what is going on with the Simrad WP32?

      At the boat show, I was talking to the B&G folks (who don't seem to
      cotton to the low end Simrad kit as they kept trying to steer me to
      multi thousand dollar solutions). I was asking about WP32. The unit
      was not in the latest catalog. they seemed surprised, but they did
      not even have one on display at their booth.

      I went to the defender site to see that sale price today (forgot to
      check while there on Friday), and it is missing. Going to the
      Simrad home page only shows commerical fishing units.

      Anyone know if the WP32 is being shelved?? Could it be the B&G
      folks are miffed cause at 1/3rd the price of their unit, it is
      eatting sales?

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, David Lochner <dlochner@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > As for Carter's earlier comments about the placement of the
      gearshift
      > not being a trivial matter, I will attest to that fact. There were
      > couple of "exciting" close quarter manuveurs that lead me to the
      > solution of putting the shift lever on the starboard side of the
      > pedestal. I suppose a custom $57 gear shift lever is a more
      elegant
      > solution, but mine was easy and free. There is a set screw that
      you
      > loosen, remove the gearshift lever and reinsert from the
      starboard
      > side and tighten the set screw. There is very slight interference
      > when you are in idle and put the shift into forward. Increasing
      the
      > throttle, so that idle speed is up about 50 rpm provides adequate
      > clearance. Some time with a grinder or sand paper would probably
      > eliminate that problem.
      >
      > As for the bilge pump, I would not route the discharge through
      the
      > sink drain for a couple of reasons. First if the sink drain is
      the
      > source of the leak, the water won't be removed, only moved around
      > while more water entered. Second, watching the stream of water
      > leaving the boat is proof positive that the pump is working and
      could
      > be used as a rough gauge of the pumps performance. If the stream
      is
      > weak, it may mean that the pump is clogged, battery weak, or the
      pump
      > is failing. Discharging into a sink drain won't allow for that
      kind
      > of monitoring. Also, you may want to include a counter, so the
      > frequency with which the pump engages can be monitored,
      especially
      > when the boat is unattended.
      >
      > Dave
      > Identity Crisis
      > S30 #52
      > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario
      >
      > On Mar 17, 2006, at 11:35 AM, sjburns123 wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Carter,
      > > Sounds like you are further along in insallting your wheel
      pilot
      > > (I bought a WP32 for my
      > > S30) than I am. I'm curious about one of your comments here. I
      > > can't see how installing the
      > > pilot can be done w/o drilling a hole in either the pedestal or
      the
      > > pedestal guard,
      > > depending on how one wishes to route the power/data cable. Am I
      > > missing something?
      > > Cheers, Stephen
      > >
      > > S30 #37 Niña
      > > Noank CT
      > >

      > >> You may want also to consider the fact that the Simrad
      installation
      > >> requires no drilling. Depending on your pedestal, you may need
      > >> make
      > >> a simple shim out of PVC pipe to insure a snug attachment.

    • Carter Brey
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
        John Kalinowski wrote:
        > Anyone know what is going on with the Simrad WP32?
        >
        > At the boat show, I was talking to the B&G folks (who don't seem to
        > cotton to the low end Simrad kit as they kept trying to steer me to
        > multi thousand dollar solutions). I was asking about WP32. The unit
        > was not in the latest catalog. they seemed surprised, but they did
        > not even have one on display at their booth.
        >
        > I went to the defender site to see that sale price today (forgot to
        > check while there on Friday), and it is missing. Going to the
        > Simrad home page only shows commerical fishing units.
        >
        > Anyone know if the WP32 is being shelved?? Could it be the B&G
        > folks are miffed cause at 1/3rd the price of their unit, it is
        > eatting sales?

        John,

        The Simrad WP32 is alive and well:

        http://www.simradyachting.com/default.aspx?path={73419EE2-CF63-4497-AE7C-C1885939E48E}

        I've been on the phone over the winter with Simrad customer service out
        in WA for small parts for my WP30. I simply got the part numbers from
        them and had Defender order them for me. I imagine you could do the same
        for an entire WP32. Here are the numbers I have:

        800-426-5565

        or

        425 771 7211

        Good luck,
        Carter Brey
        S28 MKII #532 "Delphine"
        City Island, NY
      • sid wax
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
          I second not feeding the bilge pump into the sink drain. Not a good
          idea to pump out the bilge into a seacock. Sort of defeats the
          purpose of the seacock, or of the bilge pump. Anyway, I ran mine
          alongside the manual pump hose, and attached it via a y-connector in
          the stern and out the same hole in the transom. I was a bit
          concerned about short cycling because if the long run of hose, but
          with a 3-prong check valve, it has not been a problem (at least not
          so far). The pump I chose was a WM 1200 with a built-in electronic
          switch and check valve.

          As to an autopilot. I was very concerned about the clearance to the
          shifter. Anyone know if that is a problem with the Raymarine s1?

          Sid
          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, jack horner <captbluwater@...>
          wrote:

          > Tom, My S-28, 1981 underwent those same improvements
          > last haul out. I split my back stay w/ transom mounted
          > straps, to free up the area behind the wheel and I cut
          > the top center rail from the Stern rail and used SS
          > chain in its place. Bilge pump pretty straight forward
          > run the 1 inch flex in the deck grove under the steps,
          > I plumped it into the sink drain w a check valve to
          > stop the water sliding back to the bilge. I used a
          > West Marine pump and mounted a small red warning light
          > next to the gage cluster so when the pump cycles I can
          > know what is going on below. Jack / SANDPIPER S-28
          > FLA
          > --- Tom <tjw@...> wrote:
          >
          > > One a autopilot and the other a automatic bilge
          > > pump. This is for a
          > > 28. Anyone have opinions/advice or wisecracks (I
          > > started the thread
          > > about radar and want to thank everyone for the
          > > advice and the laughs).
          > >
          > > Speaking of the radar would the hydrolic backstay
          > > adjuster rule out a
          > > backstay pole?
          > >
          > > Tom

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Dave Evans
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
            Sid,
            That is the bilge pump(s) hose arrangement on our 34-II. The check
            valve takes care of the backflow and is easily reached to clean.

            You have the usual old two-control Edson pedestal? Never seen a
            problem with the Ray/AH wheelpilot "ring."
            dge

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sid wax" <sid_w@...> wrote:

            > I second not feeding the bilge pump into the sink drain. Not a
            good
            > idea to pump out the bilge into a seacock. Sort of defeats the
            > purpose of the seacock, or of the bilge pump. Anyway, I ran mine
            > alongside the manual pump hose, and attached it via a y-connector
            in
            > the stern and out the same hole in the transom. I was a bit
            > concerned about short cycling because if the long run of hose, but
            > with a 3-prong check valve, it has not been a problem (at least not
            > so far). The pump I chose was a WM 1200 with a built-in electronic
            > switch and check valve.
            >
            > As to an autopilot. I was very concerned about the clearance to
            the
            > shifter. Anyone know if that is a problem with the Raymarine s1?
            >
            > Sid
          • Carter Brey
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
              Sid,

              That seems to be the standard bilge pump arrangement-- at least that's
              how it came on my 28.

              Regarding the AP clearance issue: with the Simrad WP3* series, this
              simple project, like 90% of boat projects, evolves into a nightmare of
              interdependencies:

              1. The clutch of the Simrad WP30-32 is on the left.
              2. The shift lever of the Edson 334-335 series pedestal swings through a
              left radius.
              3. Simrad offers a replacement shift lever with a dogleg in it.
              4. When you install the replacement shift lever on the pedestal, you
              find that it bangs into the teak butterfly-style drink holder.

              Ask me how I know this! Of course, if you don't have the teak drink
              holder, there's no problem. But I do, and I'm faced with the necessity
              of choosing from among the following possibilities:

              1. Take my jigsaw and trim away the left side of the teak drink holder
              so that there's only one hole on that side;
              2. Try reversing the teak drink holder so that it sweeps forward rather
              than aft;
              3. Replace the original shift lever and mount it on the right, learning
              how to operate it backwards;
              4. Throw away your Simrad WP and buy another brand with the clutch on
              the right.

              I'll start with #2 and, if that does not work, proceed to #1. The one
              certainty is that the ratty and abused teak drink holder is going to go
              before my $45 shift handle and my $250 WP (I bought it used). Seriously,
              I'd rather not have to operate throttle and shifter on the same side of
              the pedestal, although someone on this list (Dave Lochner?) does it that
              way, obviously does fine, and saved $45.

              Bon chance,
              Carter

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
                Carter is correct, I have the shift mounted on the right side. Since over every winter I seem to forget which way is forward, the first trip away from the boat hoist is usually a little exciting, but it was a cheap fix. Besides, this is the first boat with an inboard, so I didn't have any shifting habits to unlearn.

                Before moving the shift handle to the right side, I tried sliding it in a bit, effectively making it shorter, that sort of worked, but I wasn't completely satisfied. The clearance with the throttle is very tight when shifting in to reverse in idle, the handles touch a little, however, if I raise the throttle a touch (gaining maybe 50 rpms or just taking the slack out of the cable) the handles clear each other.

                One advantage to both shift and throttle on the same side is that you can always have one hand on the wheel when shifting.

                No photos, but if any one wants one, I'll try to remember to take a picture next time I'm up at the boat.

                Dave