AIS and the JFK

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
      For those of you hoping to use your new AIS receivers to avoid pesky
      confrontations with aircraft carriers, I regret to report that the USS
      John F. Kennedy putted by this morning without the slightest hint of its
      presence on AIS. Otherwise kinda difficult to miss, but then it wasn't
      very foggy.
    • Richard Peirce
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
        First of all, isn't it a little cold there to be out on your boat with or without AIS??  Secondly, what kind of AIS receiver do you have?  As there are many choices to be had for AIS these days, I'd love to hear a report.  Is it a full 2 channel or a 'one at a time'.  I've been looking at the Easy AIS and the SR162 as possibilities.  Both the 'one at a time' multiplexing types.  The full 2 channel ones are a little pricey and I just don't see the need.  Perhaps if I was in a really busy shipping area doing lots of overnight passages I'd think differently.

        I wonder why the USSJFK was not broadcasting?  Isn't it the law now in the US - I guess not for the military!

        richard peirce
        HACIENDA II      |    Sabre 34 Targa   Hull #384      |     http://www.casita.ca        |       THSC Toronto

        On Mar 1, 2007, at 8:08 PM, Jim Starkey wrote:

        For those of you hoping to use your new AIS receivers to avoid pesky
        confrontations with aircraft carriers, I regret to report that the USS
        John F. Kennedy putted by this morning without the slightest hint of its
        presence on AIS. Otherwise kinda difficult to miss, but then it wasn't
        very foggy.

      • gmuller22
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Richard Peirce <richard@...> wrote:

          > I wonder why the USSJFK was not broadcasting? Isn't it the law now
          > in the US - I guess not for the military!

          > richard peirce
          > HACIENDA II | Sabre 34 Targa Hull #384 | http://
          > www.casita.ca | THSC Toronto

          I was wondering about that too, Richard, and your query prompted me to look into it. I found a USCG document (http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/taskforc/TFSR-42.pdf) that pretty well anwers the question. According to this source , "The U.S. Navy has published AIS guidance and Navy ships will 'participate in AIS subject to the decision of the Captain'." This is just the kind of response that always thrills Jim. As for me, I usually give everything painted grey a wide berth and let it go at that.

          Gerard

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
            Richard Peirce wrote:
            > First of all, isn't it a little cold there to be out on your boat with
            > or without AIS?? Secondly, what kind of AIS receiver do you have? As
            > there are many choices to be had for AIS these days, I'd love to hear
            > a report. Is it a full 2 channel or a 'one at a time'. I've been
            > looking at the Easy AIS and the SR162 as possibilities. Both the 'one
            > at a time' multiplexing types. The full 2 channel ones are a little
            > pricey and I just don't see the need. Perhaps if I was in a really
            > busy shipping area doing lots of overnight passages I'd think differently.
            I suppose it would be a little cold to out on the boat, but in fact I
            was all nice and cozy at home. You gotta admit that there's not a lot
            better than lying in a nice warm bed reading the morning paper and
            seeing an aircraft carrier going by (assuming, of course, it was own of
            our own!).

            I've got an SR162 ($189, shipping included) temporarily connected to an
            antenna on the chimney. Having a grand time with it. It is a single
            channel "switcher", which I think is perfectly adequate for our purposes
            where the consequences of a dropped message now and then are
            insignificant. I'm seeing a max range of about 17 miles, incidentally,
            with a chimney height substantially above mast head height. The
            frequently given range of 40 miles is, I think, hooey. But still, if
            you're getting transmissions every couple of minutes over a range
            closing from 15 miles, a dropped message doesn't really matter.

            > I wonder why the USSJFK was not broadcasting? Isn't it the law now in
            > the US - I guess not for the military!
            The treaty and CG regs apply only to commercial vessels, fishing vessels
            excluded. The navy has a long history of not taking orders from the CG
            (note: no holding tanks). Besides, do you really want an aircraft
            carrier sending out message every few seconds says, "Hi, I'm the
            aircraft carrier John F. Kennedy. Here is exactly where my antenna is,
            here is where the rest of the ship is relative to the antenna, and here
            is the uncertainty of my position. Have a nice day!". Bad enough that
            the CNG tankers at anchor waiting for CG approval to enter Boston Harbor
            are broadcasting that exact stuff.
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
              Gerard -

              Avoiding large gray vessels is a good idea. But not all military vessels are large and gray. I ran afoul of the Navy for coming too close to a moderately large black vessel at night that was sitting very, very low in the water, with tiny, dim running lights. Billions of dollars where spent, apparently successfully, to make this vessel and its cousins virtually undetectable, a fact that the young sailors in the YP that challenged us didn't seem to care about.  Dealing with them was easy compared to keeping the sputtering retired Army officer in the cockpit with me from grabbing the mic and offering his opinion of the situation.  I didn't think his repeated use of the term "squid" would improve matters.

              Speaking of navigation faux pas, do you recall when the USS Abraham Lincoln emerged from the sea fog off San Diego and serenely passed through the America's Cup course?

              Pete

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                Gerard, once again your Google skills are outstanding.

                Yeah, I guess that would take the strategy out of a navy battle if opposing ships had AIS.   Hard to make that surprise attack!  But in the peaceful waters of New England, you'd think that they would participate in AIS for the sake of public safety.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Tollini" <pete@...> wrote:

                  > Speaking of navigation faux pas, do you recall when the USS Abraham Lincoln
                  > emerged from the sea fog off San Diego and serenely passed through the
                  > America's Cup course?
                  >
                  > Pete

                  I think that was one of those faux pas on purpose.

                  Sailboats? ....What sailboats?

                • gmuller22
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Richard Peirce <richard@...> wrote:

                    > But in  the peaceful waters of New England, you'd think that they would
                    > participate in AIS for the sake of public safety.
                    >

                    > richard peirce

                    Hey, they were safe, so what's the problem?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                      Hmm.  A co-worker's nephew was a junior officer on the ship at that time.  When he saw him he asked "what the hell were you guys doing on the America's Cup course?" Reply - "I think we were winning."

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                        EG Navy air craft carrier popping up on the race course. Pretty sure I have that one on tape.  Amazing part was there were dozens of spectator boats at the windward mark. On Radar, it had to look like a diamond of clear water with the outline made up of big tour boats staying away from the laylines.

                        I remember waiting for an explaination (the races were published in the Notice to Mariners so the Navy should have known better),but never heard any comment from the Navy.

                         I have a crewmember converting my AC vcr tapes to dvd as the quality was starting to degrade.  Every Sunday morning I have a danish, a glass of OJ, and watch one of those epic battles. Sure helps fight off the cold and snow.

                        Shame that my early tapes from Perth are rubbish from aging.  Looking to get a set of the originals. Gary Jobson has them advertised on his web site, but no pricing there.

                        Never has seen such poor marketing of a sport like sailing.  The current A/C races have been going on for years and you cannot find current broadcast schedules, or even news reports in the Other section of the newspapers.

                        Lets hope Larry brings the cup back to San Francisco and we have some real racing with real winds and waves (starting at 4pm EST sweet!!!).

                        On 3/2/07, gmuller22 <gmuller22@yahoo. com> wrote:

                        --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, Richard Peirce <richard@...> wrote:

                        > I wonder why the USSJFK was not broadcasting? Isn't it the law now
                        > in the US - I guess not for the military!

                        > richard peirce
                        > HACIENDA II | Sabre 34 Targa Hull #384 | http://
                        > www.casita.ca | THSC Toronto

                        I was wondering about that too, Richard, and your query prompted me to look into it. I found a USCG document ( http://www.navcen. uscg.gov/ marcomms/ gmdss/taskforc/ TFSR-42.pdf) that pretty well anwers the question. According to this source , "The U.S. Navy has published AIS guidance and Navy ships will ' participate in AIS subject to the decision of the Captain'." This is just the kind of response that always thrills Jim. As for me, I usually give everything painted grey a wide berth and let it go at that.
                        Gerard

                        It's here! Your new message!

                      • workshoe99
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                          As I recall it at the time, one of the local rags or TV stations got
                          an interview with the sailor who was standing lookout on the Lincoln's
                          bow. He was the first to notice the bright yellow triangle (windward)
                          mark loom out of the fog. He immediately called the bridge and
                          reported that there just might be some kind of a sailboat race going
                          on near by. Then he saw the spectator boats and things really got crazy!

                          Jan
                          S38 Mk I "Capriccio" San Diego, La Paz Mex.

                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, john kalinowski

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 3, 2007
                            View from the course, February 1995 -
                            Gerard - Does this qualify as a "large gray vessel to be avoided?"

                            On 3/3/07, workshoe99 <workshoe99@...