Re: Sweaty Palm Moments

  • gmuller22
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@...> wrote:

      > As for integrated navigational system screw ups, the brand new USCG ice breaker Mackinaw when full tilt right into a rock jetty instead of going up the channel returning from it's shakedown. Evidently the next way point was a dog leg up the channel and try as they could, they could not get the boat to respond to commands at the helm. Investigation showed the autopilot overrode the input from the helm and the mate did not know about the override button on the console. Now with the hull fixed, they know how to turn the autopilot off once they get in close quarters.

      According to this followup article on that collision incident (http://www.laesser.org/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=93), it appears that the captain made a bit too much merry with his crew in a Cheboygan bar while on a shakedown cruise of the USGC Mackinaw. Apparently the USCG command were not amused by this traditional effort to maintain ships morale coming, as it did, in close proximity to that unfortunate incident with the seawall.

      This also puts a little different spin on the electronics breakdown theory for the cause of the collision, but it may explain why the ship was departing on autopilot in a narrow channel. They might have made it out clean if not for the possibly sudden apperance of a pink whale dead ahead which might have necessiated immediate evasive action. Of course, this is all speculation. But if I had been stuck in Cheboygan, I think that retiring to a bar until the moment of departure would not have been far from my thoughts either.

    • David Felsenthal
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
        I sent the link to my Norwegian buddy. He says "Germans, on a NATO
        exercise in Norway"

        David

        sjburns123 wrote:

        > > As for integrated navigational system screw ups, the brand new USCG
        > ice breaker
        > Mackinaw when full tilt right into a rock jetty instead of going up the
        > channel returning from
        > it's shakedown. Evidently the next way point was a dog leg up the
        > channel and try as they
        > could, they could not get the boat to respond to commands at the helm.
        > Investigation
        > showed the autopilot overrode the input from the helm and the mate did
        > not know about the
        > override button on the console. Now with the hull fixed, they know how
        > to turn the autopilot
        > off once they get in close quarters.
        > >

        > speaking of groundings...
        > http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/article1653302.ece
        > <http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/article1653302.ece>
        > my Norwegian is a bit rusty, but I think its a minesweeper
        >
        > Stephen Burns
        > S30 #37 NiƱa

      • gmuller22
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, David Felsenthal <atlantea@...> wrote:

          > I sent the link to my Norwegian buddy. He says "Germans, on a NATO
          > exercise in Norway"
          >
          > David

          Well, David, you might be interested to know that your buddy is right, the Minehunter in question (Minesweeper is so yesterday) is from the German Navy and, interestingly, is of the Frankenthal-Class (any relation?).

          As interesting is that this ship is intended to remove floating and ground mines and so the ship's description says that:

           "These vessels are equipped with a DSQS 11 M bow sonar featuring a digital signal processor and synthetic sonar imaging.

          The extremely effective mine identification and neutralisation vehicle PINGUIN identifies contacts by means of video camera and a high-resolution shortrange sonar system."

          So, these guys could see mines in front of them but not small mountains? Hmmm. Perhaps, if the USCG and NATO ever hold joint exercises, they can exchange the crews of the Mackinaw and this Minehunter. I bet that could generate some really interesting video highlights.

          Gerard