Re: [SabreSailboat] water heater

  • Dan Trainor
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 28, 2007
      I saw that heater at Ocean Options booth at Boston Boat Show - nice construction.  You saved $100 over defender pricing.  If I was not currently unemployed, I would have ordered one.  Timing is everthing.

      On 2/28/07, Jim Starkey <jas@...> wrote:

      John Kalinowski wrote:
      > I think I have a slight leak in the piping of the Raritan hot water
      > heater as I am loosing a bit of antifreeze and it is not coming out
      > anywhere else.As it is 22 years old, I figure it is due.
      >
      > Seeing how Raritan wants $730 for their unit (though I found it for
      > $200 less on the web), has anyone gone to another mfg?
      >
      > I see lower prices on Force, Seaward etc, but I don't want to get less
      > performance.
      >
      > So, any opinions on other brands water heaters performance to the
      > Raritan ?

      It's probably way too late, but I was cleaning out old mail and just
      noticed this. Ocean Options was peddling the 6 gallon Super Stor at the
      Boston show last week for $393. It's within a 1/4" of the Raritan all
      around and has a stainless tank and plastic (i.e. non-rust) exterior.
      They had one cut away at the show. In any case, I've ordered one.

      --
      Dan
    • John Kalinowski
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 25, 2007
        Update:

        After getting flogged in a squall on thursday night, I turned on the
        hot water to find it was a pinkish color. The cold water was fine,
        so I knew the hot water tank tubing had failed and allowed the
        antifreeze into the tank.

        Yesterday before a race, I hurried down to the boat and checked the
        antifreeze level. Only had lost about a quart in 10 gallons worth of
        engine operation. I topped the sucker off.

        Heading out to the race course, someone said "I smell something
        burning" Never like the statement on a boat.

        Engine temp was fine, but we shut down the engine and started
        looking. Could not find a thing. After 10 minutes of scratching my
        head I noticed I had forgotten to retighten the air bleed screw on
        the top of the manifold. The stuff was squirting up and then hitting
        the manifold putting out a nasty smell. Tightened and rechecked the
        system and it ran just fine the rest of the day.

        Have a new Raritan heater on order, as I am not in the mood to start
        changing plumbing etc. This will allow a simple replacement.

        Looks like when I pressure tested the system, the fact the water tank
        was full kept the pressure gauge looking fine, so I passed on buying
        a new unit. If I was to rerun the pressure test on the cooling system
        today, I would open the hot water faucet to allow a faster bleed down.

        > I think I have a slight leak in the piping of the Raritan hot water
        > heater as I am loosing a bit of antifreeze and it is not coming out
        > anywhere else.As it is 22 years old, I figure it is due.
        >
        > Seeing how Raritan wants $730 for their unit (though I found it for
        > $200 less on the web), has anyone gone to another mfg?
        >
        > I see lower prices on Force, Seaward etc, but I don't want to get
        less
        > performance.
        >
        > So, any opinions on other brands water heaters performance to the
        > Raritan ?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > john

      • Brooks Wright
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 18, 2010
          Time to replace the water heater in our 1978 S34. Looking at the catalogue I'm thinking just to get
          another 6 gal. Raritan with heat exchanger. Would that be the way to go or is there something better?

          Brooks Wright

        • David Evans
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 18, 2010
            May be better, but will it fit?
            dge

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 18, 2010
              we covered this 2 weeks ago.
              quick answer is yes

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 19, 2010
                thanks John. I was in Maine when that thread came through and had no access.

                Brooks