Cabin Sole Finishing

  • George Williams
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 27, 2007
      Hi guys,

      The cabin sole of my Sabre 32 has looked pretty dirty and crummy. I
      gave it a good scrubbing and then applied Star-Brite Teak
      Cleaner/Restorer. I want to apply Ultimate Sole but I'm not sure if I
      need to treat the teak further. Do I need one of the teak brighteners
      such as I would use on external teak before I put down the Ultimate
      Sole finish?

      Thanks,
      George
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 27, 2007
        George, Ultimatesole makes a sealer too. It soaks in
        the teak and holly so the ultimate sole can just sit
        on top and look shiney. Other wise you will need more
        coats. It will dazzle you ... Jack / Fla
        --- George Williams <wave_dancer44@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys,
        >
        > The cabin sole of my Sabre 32 has looked pretty
        > dirty and crummy. I
        > gave it a good scrubbing and then applied Star-Brite
        > Teak
        > Cleaner/Restorer. I want to apply Ultimate Sole but
        > I'm not sure if I
        > need to treat the teak further. Do I need one of the
        > teak brighteners
        > such as I would use on external teak before I put
        > down the Ultimate
        > Sole finish?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > George

        Need Mail bonding?
      • Dan Trainor

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 27, 2007
              Curious... does Ultimatesole make the floor slippery? Whenever I've
              seen such a great looking cabin sole (in pictures), I always think to
              myself that I'd need to cover it with a rug to keepp it looking good.
              Go figure.

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, jack horner <captbluwater@...>

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 27, 2007
                At the Philly boat show, I asked a similar question to the Ultimate Sole reps.

                Their reply was that they were using old polyurethane technology. Recent advances in polyurethane have led to harder shinier poly's that are slipperier than older polys. Newer polyurethanes have high value in that they are longer lasting, more abrasion resistant, and easier to clean. Great for prefinished oak floors in houses and commercial buildings, overkill on the the low traffic cabin soles of our boats.  Older polys were softer, less abrasion resistant, more difficult to clean and less slippery.

                For applications like cabin soles, stickiness is a highly desirable characteristic. Gloss differences between old and new technologies are negligible and durability/abrasion resistance isn't really an issue in a low traffic cabin sole. So there's a trade off, get a softer, less durable finish that isn't slippery or a state of the art, hard, high gloss finish and slide across the cabin sole in your socks.

                Sometimes, newer isn't better. Ultimate Sole is on my list for spring outfitting.

                Dave

                wrote:

                > George, Ultimatesole makes a sealer too. It soaks in
                > the teak and holly so the ultimate sole can just sit
                > on top and look shiney. Other wise you will need more
                > coats. It will dazzle you ... Jack / Fla
                > --- George Williams <wave_dancer44@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi guys,
                > >
                > > The cabin sole of my Sabre 32 has looked pretty
                > > dirty and crummy. I
                > > gave it a good scrubbing and then applied Star-Brite
                > > Teak
                > > Cleaner/Restorer. I want to apply Ultimate Sole but
                > > I'm not sure if I
                > > need to treat the teak further. Do I need one of the
                > > teak brighteners
                > > such as I would use on external teak before I put
                > > down the Ultimate
                > > Sole finish?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > George

                > Need Mail bonding?

              • Dan Trainor
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 27, 2007
                  Actually, the thing about UltimateSole varnish is that it is NOT slippery like regular varnish.  Not snake oil - used even used on some production boats.  But, still may need to cover to lengthen the time it looks good or lightly sand and re-coat every X years.

                  wrote:

                  > George, Ultimatesole makes a sealer too. It soaks in
                  > the teak and holly so the ultimate sole can just sit
                  > on top and look shiney. Other wise you will need more
                  > coats. It will dazzle you ... Jack / Fla
                  > --- George Williams <wave_dancer44@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi guys,
                  > >
                  > > The cabin sole of my Sabre 32 has looked pretty
                  > > dirty and crummy. I
                  > > gave it a good scrubbing and then applied Star-Brite
                  > > Teak
                  > > Cleaner/Restorer. I want to apply Ultimate Sole but
                  > > I'm not sure if I
                  > > need to treat the teak further. Do I need one of the
                  > > teak brighteners
                  > > such as I would use on external teak before I put
                  > > down the Ultimate
                  > > Sole finish?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > George

                  > Need Mail bonding?

                  Dan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 27, 2007
                    I find if you use that rubber mat that is also used to keep wood projects from moving, the rug goes nowhere until log after the heeling is past insane.  This is on perfectly varnished soles.

                    At the boat show I found the new Jeaneaus have a composite (aka plastic) sole  it has a slight bump finish to make it less slippery.

                    Regards

                      john

                    wrote:

                    > George, Ultimatesole makes a sealer too. It soaks in
                    > the teak and holly so the ultimate sole can just sit
                    > on top and look shiney. Other wise you will need more
                    > coats. It will dazzle you ... Jack / Fla
                    > --- George Williams <wave_dancer44@ ...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi guys,
                    > >
                    > > The cabin sole of my Sabre 32 has looked pretty
                    > > dirty and crummy. I
                    > > gave it a good scrubbing and then applied Star-Brite
                    > > Teak
                    > > Cleaner/Restorer. I want to apply Ultimate Sole but
                    > > I'm not sure if I
                    > > need to treat the teak further. Do I need one of the
                    > > teak brighteners
                    > > such as I would use on external teak before I put
                    > > down the Ultimate
                    > > Sole finish?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > George

                    > Need Mail bonding?
                    > http://answers. yahoo.com/ dir/?link= list&sid= 396546091

                  • Larry Kelly
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 27, 2007

                      Thinking about how I’m going to approach the brightwork this year. Does anyone have experience with Ultimate Brightwork Exterior Finish?

                      Larry Kelly

                      S38 MKII Cantabile

                      Tracys Landing, MD

                      wrote:

                      > George, Ultimatesole makes a sealer too. It soaks in
                      > the teak and holly so the ultimate sole can just sit
                      > on top and look shiney. Other wise you will need more
                      > coats. It will dazzle you ... Jack /
                      w:st="on">Fla
                      > --- George Williams <wave_dancer44@ ...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hi guys,
                      > >
                      > > The cabin sole of my Sabre 32 has looked pretty
                      > > dirty and crummy. I
                      > > gave it a good scrubbing and then applied Star-Brite
                      > > Teak
                      > > Cleaner/Restorer. I want to apply Ultimate Sole but
                      > > I'm not sure if I
                      > > need to treat the teak further. Do I need one of the
                      > > teak brighteners
                      > > such as I would use on external teak before I put
                      > > down the Ultimate
                      > > Sole finish?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > George

                      > Need Mail bonding?
                      > Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from Yahoo!
                      Answers users.

                      href="http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396546091" target="_blank">http://answers. yahoo.com/ dir/?link= list&sid=396546091

                      --
                      Dan

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 28, 2007
                        Ultimate slippery ? NO you will be shocked that your
                        deck shoes don't slip. Just never spill acetone on it.
                        Effects the shine if you do. Jack FLA
                        --- Jim Serra <jimserra@...> wrote:

                        > Curious... does Ultimatesole make the floor
                        > slippery? Whenever I've
                        > seen such a great looking cabin sole (in pictures),
                        > I always think to
                        > myself that I'd need to cover it with a rug to keepp
                        > it looking good.
                        > Go figure.
                        >

                        > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, jack horner
                        > <captbluwater@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > George, Ultimatesole makes a sealer too. It soaks
                        > in
                        > > the teak and holly so the ultimate sole can just
                        > sit
                        > > on top and look shiney. Other wise you will need
                        > more
                        > > coats. It will dazzle you ... Jack / Fla
                        > > --- George Williams <wave_dancer44@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > Hi guys,
                        > > >
                        > > > The cabin sole of my Sabre 32 has looked pretty
                        > > > dirty and crummy. I
                        > > > gave it a good scrubbing and then applied
                        > Star-Brite
                        > > > Teak
                        > > > Cleaner/Restorer. I want to apply Ultimate Sole
                        > but
                        > > > I'm not sure if I
                        > > > need to treat the teak further. Do I need one of
                        > the
                        > > > teak brighteners
                        > > > such as I would use on external teak before I
                        > put
                        > > > down the Ultimate
                        > > > Sole finish?
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks,
                        > > > George

                        > > Need Mail bonding?
                        > > Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from
                        > Yahoo! Answers users.

                        8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
                      • gmuller22
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 28, 2007
                          Regardless of the finish used on a cabin sole, they will not slip if
                          they are dry if you are either wearing deck shoes or are barefoot. The
                          problem of slipperiness arises when the surface is wet. That is when the
                          smooth flat surface acts as a foundation for the layer of water which is
                          what you actually slip on. Normally, cabin soles get wet when it's wet
                          outside which means that you should be wearing deck shoes, and if your
                          deckshoes have only been used on the boat (i.e., not contaminated by
                          street wear) and are still fairly new (i.e., the rubber sole has not
                          hardened) they should provide good skid resistance. Otherwise, you tend
                          to go boom.

                          Gerard

                          ________________________________________________________________________\
                          ____________

                          ________________________________________________________________________\
                          ____________

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 28, 2007

                            This is also an important reason that sailors shouldn’t wear socks.  There is virtually no floor finish that provides traction for socks.

                            Reminder, socks should be burned on the equinox!

                            Pete

                            ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _\
                            ____________
                            > > > Need Mail bonding?
                            > > > Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from
                            > > Yahoo! Answers users.
                            > > >

                            > http://answers. yahoo.com/ dir/?link= list&sid= 396546091

                            > http://tools. search.yahoo. com/shortcuts/ #news

                          • Phil Shepard
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 28, 2007

                              Cetol has a NEW-IMPROVED cetol . It is supposed to have more UV protection without the orange color. Has anyone tried it?

                                     Phil