Re: [SabreSailboat] Keys vs Bahamas

  • Godwin/Sylvia Jones
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2005
      Bill:
          We sailed through the Keys from Dry Tortugas to Key Biscayne on way to Bahamas.  They are OK but was disappointed at how difficult it is to get ashore to resupply.  Marathon is a good anchorage but it is crowded, very crowded and you pay to park dinghy.  Dry Tortugas are a great place to go but can not stay long as there is only so much to see, no supplies and you take your trash with you.  Islands between Dry Tortugas and Key West offer OK anchorages if good weather.  Key West is not best anchorage and slips if available are almost as much as hotel rooms.  Thief can be a problem.  Some good overnight stops between Key West and Marathon.  We went inside at 7-mile  (or is it 5-mile) bridge motored up back side.  Fair anchorages but found hard to get to grocery stores.  Some anchorages are back among mangroves and others are exposed from various directions.  We stayed at marina near Key Biscayne National Park Headquarters while awaiting fronts to subside so we could cross over.  It got quite cold while we were there.
          Bahamas are much better especially if you get beyond Abacos and on down to Exumas.  Warmer but still could use wet suit.  To us, Exumas are much prettier than Abacos or Keys.  Just have to watch frontal passages.

      Godwin
      Bojangles S-34-II
      Has anyone here cruised the Florida Keys?  The Admiral and I are discussing a cruise for next February or so, and wonder how the keys would compare to the Bahamas for cruising.  We've sailed the Bahamas several times and driven through the keys, but never sailed the keys.  Anybody?

      Bill B
    • Bill Blalock
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
        Thank you, Godwin.  That is a great synopsis.  I was wondering if we were missing anything in the keys, but it sounds like the Exumas are more worth the effort.

        Bill B