Teak on eBay

  • ajlorman
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 30, 2005
      A fellow in Rhode Island is selling teak on eBay at a good price and I
      wanted to share it with the group. Here's the link:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/GENUINE-TEAK-LUMBER_W0QQitemZ8246797322QQcategoryZ84011QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

      Because of the weight, the UPS shipping was more than the cost of the
      teak. I bought a few boxes and they are truly first class pieces of
      wood. This is the same fellow who sold smaller boxes of teak earlier
      this year for $5 each. I have no financial stake in this.

      Al Lorman
    • R. Coerse

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 30, 2005
          Last week there was discussion about putting a dry lubricant on the mast track and McLube was recommended. Today, while in an Ace Hardware store I saw a small can of Elmer's (of Elmer's glue) Dry lubricant on the shelf. The can didn't say much about the contents, but it was about 1/2 the price ($3.99) of a can of McLube. Thought someone might be interested in checking this out.

          Dave

          Identity Crisis

          S30 #52

          Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

        • Dave Evans
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 30, 2005
            Practical Sailor gave Elmer's an excellent rating a few years ago.
            dge

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 30, 2005

              Just make sure you grab the right Elmer’s off the shelf J

              Pete

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 30, 2005
                I'm not sure, but my memory is Practical Sailor had an
                article about track lubricant that included the
                Elmer's. I'll try to find it.

                Go to www.practical-sailor.com and search for Elmer.

                August 15,1999 - Sail Track Lubes: Slide-All Lasts
                Longest
                November 1, 1999 - Top 10 Products for 1999

                If you don't have these issues, let me know and I'll
                dig them up.

                Grant

                --- David Lochner <dlochner@...> wrote:

                > Last week there was discussion about putting a dry
                > lubricant on the
                > mast track and McLube was recommended. Today, while
                > in an Ace
                > Hardware store I saw a small can of Elmer's (of
                > Elmer's glue) Dry
                > lubricant on the shelf. The can didn't say much
                > about the contents,
                > but it was about 1/2 the price ($3.99) of a can of
                > McLube. Thought
                > someone might be interested in checking this out.
                > Dave
                > Identity Crisis
                > S30 #52
                > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

              • Dave Evans
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 30, 2005
                  And you'd have a cow if you used the wrong one!

                  HNY,
                  dge
                  Just make sure you grab the right ElmerÂ’s off the shelf J

                  Pete

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 31, 2005
                    I agree, it is very nice teak and exactly as represented. I was happy with
                    the two boxes I bought last time, and I also have ordered some of this
                    longer stuff. The teak is $12 plus shipping to FL of $22. Still cheap by
                    any measure. As for the 'arms' that are useless, two are currently very
                    nice extension cord hangers, one was cut in half and turned into about 40
                    3/8" teak plugs, and the other awaits its fate. The other pieces have
                    turned into the many pieces you need to plug, fill, and fix things on a
                    twenty year old boat including a new floor brace for the companionway and
                    hoods for the new LED courtesy lights. The Admiral also now has a rack for
                    her shot glass collection :)

                    Bill B
                    S38mk1 #88

                    >A fellow in Rhode Island is selling teak on eBay at a good price and I
                    > wanted to share it with the group. Here's the link:
                    > http://cgi.ebay.com/GENUINE-TEAK-LUMBER_W0QQitemZ8246797322QQcategoryZ84011QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
                    >
                    > Because of the weight, the UPS shipping was more than the cost of the
                    > teak. I bought a few boxes and they are truly first class pieces of
                    > wood. This is the same fellow who sold smaller boxes of teak earlier
                    > this year for $5 each. I have no financial stake in this.
                    >
                    > Al Lorman
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • R. Coerse
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 31, 2005
                      Bill,

                      Do you have a pic of your LED courtesy lights? If so, could you post it
                      here in the "Files" section?

                      Dick Coerse
                      http://www.geocities.com/earlylight160/
                      "Early Light"
                      Sabre 34 MK I #160
                      Solomons, MD

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 31, 2005
                        I contacted St Angelo's yesterday. From their web page, it looks like they are the suppliers for Jamestown Distributors (home of any boatbuiding part or material needed).

                        They are located on Wood Street in Bristol RI.
                        Hours are 7-3 m-f, but they will be closed this monday.

                        I am heading down to pick up half a dozen kits in the tahoe this coming week.   Store them away until the need for teak presents itself. Great thing about teak is is doesn't go bad and it is soooo easy to work with.

                        john

                        Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:
                        I agree, it is very nice teak and exactly as represented.  I was happy with
                        the two boxes I bought last time, and I also have ordered some of this
                        longer stuff.  The teak is $12 plus shipping to FL of $22.  Still cheap by
                        any measure.  As for the 'arms' that are useless, two are currently very
                        nice extension cord hangers, one was cut in half and turned into about 40
                        3/8" teak plugs, and the other awaits its fate.  The other pieces have
                        turned into the many pieces you need to plug, fill, and fix things on a
                        twenty year old boat including a new floor brace for the companionway and
                        hoods for the new LED courtesy lights.  The Admiral also now has a rack for
                        her shot glass collection :)

                        Bill B
                        S38mk1 #88

                        >A fellow in Rhode Island is selling teak on eBay at a good price and I
                        > wanted to share it with the group.  Here's the link:
                        > http://cgi.ebay.com/GENUINE-TEAK-LUMBER_W0QQitemZ8246797322QQcategoryZ84011QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
                        >
                        > Because of the weight, the UPS shipping was more than the cost of the
                        > teak.  I bought a few boxes and they are truly first class pieces of
                        > wood.   This is the same fellow who sold smaller boxes of teak earlier
                        > this year for $5 each. I have no financial stake in this.
                        >
                        > Al Lorman
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Photos

                      • Lorman, Alvin J.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 31, 2005
                          Message
                          Dick:

                          Imtra has some nice LED courtesy lights at reduced prices on their closeout page:  http://www.imtra.com/saleItems.htm

                          Al

                          byhttp://www.imtra.com/saleItems.htm
                          > any measure.  As for the
                          'arms' that are useless, two are currently very
                          > nice extension cord
                          hangers, one was cut in half and turned into about 40
                          > 3/8" teak plugs,
                          and the other awaits its fate.  The other pieces have
                          > turned into
                          the many pieces you need to plug, fill, and fix things on a
                          > twenty year
                          old boat including a new floor brace for the companionway and
                          > hoods for
                          the new LED courtesy lights.  The Admiral also now has a
                          > rack
                          for
                          > her shot glass collection :)
                          >
                          > Bill B
                          > S38mk1

                          =00

                          IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE. Any advice expressed above as to tax matters was neither written nor intended by the sender or Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP to be used and cannot be used by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed under U.S. tax law. If any person uses or refers to any such tax advice in promoting, marketing or recommending a partnership or other entity, investment plan or arrangement to any taxpayer, then (i) the advice was written to support the promotion or marketing (by a person other than Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP) of that transaction or matter, and (ii) such taxpayer should seek advice based on the taxpayers particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor

                          This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.